Bought a Never splashed Colvic Countess 33 on eBay, Looking for infos

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site
Today I did something that I used to do a lot in my youth. Sadly, it only served to remind me that my youth is only in my mind. I had to go up the mast on Selkie to straighten the tails from the Windex on the bracket that I fabricated and check for any additional damage to lights and antenna as the crane gave the masthead a good and loud knock. The good part was that all was well and I was able to straighten the tails to the right position. The bad part was that unlike in my youth when I used to climb up masts like a monkey this time it was a laborious, slow and painful affair even with a bosuns chair. A good dose of reality that hits like a punch in the gut.
Time to hit the Gin … & Tonic … to forget.

Last edited:

GregOddity

Visit site
Unlike what some might think we're working hard on creating Rocket Engines for Oddity.

SzK0Vlz.jpg

Just test welds for the fabrication of the new Chain Plates for Oddity. Choosing a "motif" to add some beauty.

q3yk3WW.jpg

GregOddity

Visit site
I understand that you haven't a clue, otherwise you'd say where the £1200 Lithium Ion battery bank can be bought, and what capacity it has.

Of course, I don’t have a clue. If I had I would not bother telling you AGAIN ( ! ! ! ) what we are doing for the battery bank.
Well IF you would be so kind as to search on the thread, you would see that I’ve said how we are doing our batteries. I’ve even posted pictures.
As to the capacity it will all be described when we get there and post the all thing. You can even watch it on YouTube.

GregOddity

Visit site
That's because you don't know yourself.

Time to put the straight jacket back on methinks.

Well you’re partially right and partially wrong, at this stage I don’t really know how much power they hold, on the other hand I do know the capacity we built them to.:cool:
We’re doing this in stages and different projects one at a time. When we come to that one (late March /April) then we will post it all.
Now to the part you’re right. Time to put on the straight Jacket and go back to my padded cell for a beauty nap. :sleeping:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Well you’re partially right and partially wrong, at this stage I don’t really know how much power they hold, on the other hand I do know the capacity we built them to.:cool:
We’re doing this in stages and different projects one at a time. When we come to that one (late March /April) then we will post it all.

Gobbledygook

Makes no sense at all, like most of this thread.

Spyro

Visit site
Of course, I don’t have a clue. If I had I would not bother telling you AGAIN ( ! ! ! ) what we are doing for the battery bank.
Well IF you would be so kind as to search on the thread, you would see that I’ve said how we are doing our batteries. I’ve even posted pictures.
As to the capacity it will all be described when we get there and post the all thing. You can even watch it on YouTube.
I don't know much about lithium batteries so did a bit of googling. Like all batteries they have a finite amount of charge cycles. For the capacity you are talking about they will be very expensive. Have you also considered how long they last? from what I read they are quite prone to failure as well so with a large battery bank one dodgy cell is going to cause you no end of problems. I agree with you about the costs of a marine diesel lump but in the long term it may well work out a lot cheaper than the cost of replacing batteries every 3 or 4 years. Any thoughts?

GregOddity

Visit site
I don't know much about lithium batteries so did a bit of googling. Like all batteries they have a finite amount of charge cycles. For the capacity you are talking about they will be very expensive. Have you also considered how long they last? from what I read they are quite prone to failure as well so with a large battery bank one dodgy cell is going to cause you no end of problems. I agree with you about the costs of a marine diesel lump but in the long term it may well work out a lot cheaper than the cost of replacing batteries every 3 or 4 years. Any thoughts?

Over the cost of 4 years you also have to factor in the maintenance and repair of any Diesel Lump you may have. Then there’s the fuel. Over a period of 4 years how much will you spend on fuel?
Now everyone will jump on the bandwagon denying that they spend anything on fuel but the truth is that a small weekend motoring on the Solent will cost at least £20 to £30 so if one does 4 weekends a year x £25 as average that’s £100 over 4 years. But here’s the thing on this equation it would not pay to have anything else but a Diesel. However, these figures change considerably if you factor in considerable sailing. If you even lower the figure to £ 15 of fuel over a weekend (conservative) and you do half the weekends from April to October that’s 13 x £15 = £195 x4 =£780 over 4 years plus maintenance and possible repairs. As we intend to go sailing at least for a year these figures give nothing but a taste for numbers on Diesel, maintenance and repairs. This is where the prices of technology are starting to work in our favour.
Let’s say we intend to do serious and prolonged sailing as opposed to weekend sailing. Should we manage to achieve coming out of harbour and going in on battery power the price of the batteries would pretty much fit right in there. Most certainly to our advantage compared to the amount of fuel we still need to spend. Secondly and also important, is that fact that in all this conversation about Diesel no one talks about the money they also have to spend on Batteries or how much they have to spend over 4 years.
Should we fail to come in and out of harbour every time on battery power alone and have to start the diesel we’re still taking a chunk out of the amount of fuel we would need over 4 years and perhaps bringing the cost to half. So in worse case scenario we’re still having fun leaving quietly and without fumes and we have a diesel that is used as less as possible and in 4 years’ time the batteries price will be much cheaper anyway.

GregOddity

Visit site
Large capacity batteries, electric motor possibly with a transmission box all on the cheap

A written off rear or side shunted nissan leaf might fit the bill ?

Was thinking much the same actually- might make sense.

We have been looking and are looking, but they disappear very fast.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Over the cost of 4 years you also have to factor in the maintenance and repair of any Diesel Lump you may have. Then there’s the fuel. Over a period of 4 years how much will you spend on fuel?
Now everyone will jump on the bandwagon denying that they spend anything on fuel but the truth is that a small weekend motoring on the Solent will cost at least £20 to £30 so if one does 4 weekends a year x £25 as average that’s £100 over 4 years. But here’s the thing on this equation it would not pay to have anything else but a Diesel. However, these figures change considerably if you factor in considerable sailing. If you even lower the figure to £ 15 of fuel over a weekend (conservative) and you do half the weekends from April to October that’s 13 x £15 = £195 x4 =£780 over 4 years plus maintenance and possible repairs. As we intend to go sailing at least for a year these figures give nothing but a taste for numbers on Diesel, maintenance and repairs. This is where the prices of technology are starting to work in our favour.
Let’s say we intend to do serious and prolonged sailing as opposed to weekend sailing. Should we manage to achieve coming out of harbour and going in on battery power the price of the batteries would pretty much fit right in there. Most certainly to our advantage compared to the amount of fuel we still need to spend. Secondly and also important, is that fact that in all this conversation about Diesel no one talks about the money they also have to spend on Batteries or how much they have to spend over 4 years.
Should we fail to come in and out of harbour every time on battery power alone and have to start the diesel we’re still taking a chunk out of the amount of fuel we would need over 4 years and perhaps bringing the cost to half. So in worse case scenario we’re still having fun leaving quietly and without fumes and we have a diesel that is used as less as possible and in 4 years’ time the batteries price will be much cheaper anyway.

Oh dear.

£15 is roughly 2.5 gallons. At say an easy 5kts that's about 0.5 Gallon/hour, so 5 hours motoring. 5kts will take about 10hp on a nice day without blue water provisions. 10hp = 7kW. 7kW for 5 hours. That's 35kWh, and so you'll be wanting 3,000Ah of 12V batteries.

And I hope you're not going to use your engine to recharge the batteries - because that's about 2.5 times less efficient than using the engine directly.

GregOddity

Visit site
Oh dear.

£15 is roughly 2.5 gallons. At say an easy 5kts that's about 0.5 Gallon/hour, so 5 hours motoring. 5kts will take about 10hp on a nice day without blue water provisions. 10hp = 7kW. 7kW for 5 hours. That's 35kWh, and so you'll be wanting 3,000Ah of 12V batteries.

And I hope you're not going to use your engine to recharge the batteries - because that's about 2.5 times less efficient than using the engine directly.

What I said is leaving and entering harbour and I’m extrapolating that into time on our case. We have no intention of using the engine for sailing. If we need to motor long distances, we go a different way but this seems to confuse people somehow.
Therefore, allow me to post something similar and that explains better what we are doing.

http://www.hybrid-marine.co.uk/10.html

Perhaps this helps clarify what a Diesel Electric really is and how it works before we all get lost in numbers that make no sense either way.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
What I said is leaving and entering harbour and I’m extrapolating that into time on our case. We have no intention of using the engine for sailing. If we need to motor long distances, we go a different way but this seems to confuse people somehow.
Therefore, allow me to post something similar and that explains better what we are doing.

http://www.hybrid-marine.co.uk/10.html

Perhaps this helps clarify what a Diesel Electric really is and how it works before we all get lost in numbers that make no sense either way.

Numbers are just such a nuisance aren't they?

That article you point at is all waffle. Go on and read their test of two identical boats and be impressed. And then notice that the conventional drive boat is substantially heavier and has a year's fouling on her hull vs. the hybrid's just launched clean bottom. The figures are just what I'd expect if they's both had the same engines. If you can find a proper description of how you're supposed to manage the 'power cycling' wrt battery capacity I'd love to see it.

seaangler23

Visit site
I can’t see the maintenance costs being any different to running a hybrid system to a normal diesel, engine hours is hardly ever the reason to service a boat engine it’s done more as a preventative measure yearly due to the harsh environment a boat engine lives in and lack of use causes more problems than anything, add in electric motor, batteries and generators in a marine environment and the maintenance will be worse than a conventional set up.
You say a weekends motoring in the Solent will cost so much but for that you have to be motoring and not sailing more than likely due to a lack of wind which will mean you’ll be running the engine as a generator in that situation as well so no saving there at all over a conventional set up.
I’m interested to see how you get on but I think the calculations are very biased/best case weighted to the hybrid system.