Border Force, the RYA, and £1000 fine !

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
I would have thought if BF had collared them in a patrol boat and they hadn't "checked in" flying Q and called Yachtline yet then they hadn't "arrived" and could file the documents there and then. Seems a bit unfair BF wouldn't insist on a PCR on arrival and no "check in" till you get a negative result.

I suspect they were being brash, I have a friend who travelled back from France, did his 2 week covid Q anchored in Studland on the boat before going ashore, I can't remember the dates though.

Still a bit pointless after 12 days at sea alone though.

Well done to Ewen and all for supporting the two jesters.

gordmac

Visit site
Why was one fine twice the other?
On a different note, how do you keep watch for that length of time alone, or is keeping a watch not a requirement any more?

Black Sheep

Visit site
Why was one fine twice the other?
I'm not privy to the details, but I understand that one of the sailors was willing to falsify information on the locator form (at BF's insistence) while the other wasn't. But I'll wait for someone better informed to correct me.

On a different note, how do you keep watch for that length of time alone, or is keeping a watch not a requirement any more?
Could I respectfully suggest that if you wish to discuss how single-handers comply with IRPCS, it might be better to start a new thread?

In my view, there's already enough strands to this thread in terms of the Covid rules and their application, the support available, and ideas for how best to proceed, not only for these two sailors, but for all of us who could get caught out by hastily created, and patchily applied laws.

penberth3

Visit site
It seems that the Covid regulations changed on the 18th July whilst the two sailors were on passage and hence unable to keep up with the changes. However, Border Force decided that the two solo, blue water, sailors were in breach of the regulations and processed them for those breaches of the test and Locator Form rules.

The two Jesters had formal statements taken, and were fined £500 and £1000.

Too late now, but it might have been better not to give statements, you have the right to "remain silent". Then check chapter and verse, seek further advice if necessary.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Too late now, but it might have been better not to give statements, you have the right to "remain silent". Then check chapter and verse, seek further advice if necessary.
I assume Border Force use the usual caution:
“You do not have to say anything. But, it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence”.

Bilgediver

Visit site
Up here in Scotland every coastguard broadcast during Covid mentioned the current regulations for leisure sailors arriving in the UK from overseas. Who they should call and what was required. Mind you they did say that the only clearance for some folk was at an airport and did not detail how this was to be achieved there could be a problem for a lone sailor arriving at a remote port.

Were these broadcasts not made in good old Blighty ? Or maybe no VHF on board as would have slowed them down :)

TiggerToo

Visit site
How is this thread not "Politics"?
(not that I am reporting it: it is interesting and somewhat concerning)

SaltyC

Visit site
Up here in Scotland every coastguard broadcast during Covid mentioned the current regulations for leisure sailors arriving in the UK from overseas. Who they should call and what was required. Mind you they did say that the only clearance for some folk was at an airport and did not detail how this was to be achieved there could be a problem for a lone sailor arriving at a remote port.

Were these broadcasts not made in good old Blighty ? Or maybe no VHF on board as would have slowed them down :)

You will be glad to know we too, in the Irish Sea, had the same precurser to all regular broadcasts. The Cumbrian Coast is after all a major landing point for all international arrivals in the UK from foreign parts. Is it just me who is IT illiterate or is their no Emogi for 'Tongue in Cheek'?

sarabande

Visit site
This NOT intended to be political. It is about helping two sailors who have been improperly fined, and trying to improve the performance of the Border Force as a service to all our sailing community who may come across them.

citybubble101

Visit site
Have they considered taking this to the papers? It seems like a waste of time for the border force to pursue this further for the sake of a situation that is not covered by the law!

Boathook

Visit site

If I had the radio on, I rarely changed from 16 to listen to a forecast, etc; especially in my normal cruising area; seeing that any info was possibly at the end of the forecast. I would be looking at navtex plus anything thing from mobile data once in range.

Black Sheep

Visit site
Unfortunately any VHF broadcasts would have been out of range when they left the Azores 12 days previously. My understanding is that the yachtsmen contacted the authorities as soon as they were within range in order to check the procedure. But were fined for not having completed a passenger locator form mid-atlantic, out of all communication range, when the rules had changed mid-voyage.

It's hard to see that the VHF broadcasts would make any difference - the problem is that the rules changed mid-voyage. The law was written and enforced as if all international journeys take a few hours at most.

NorthUp

Visit site
In fact, the coastguard broadcasts regarding the covid requirements for entry into England were all that were transmitted in Scottish waters by the MCA last year, much to the disgust of the staff ordered to transmit irrelevant information, and the amusement of local mariners.

Gargleblaster

Visit site
When the Jester Challenge left for the Azores from Plymouth, Falmouth Coastguard were broadcasting the Covid regulations and providing the Yachtline number. On my return a day after teh two people were fined the Coastguard Covid broadcast no longer included the Yachtline number. Fortunatley I still had it written in my log. So I anchores off Penzance and rang Yachtline and then carried out everything they required of me over teh next two days. for me fortunately there was no request for a PLF, and the testing and need for self isolation if proved positive was paramount. Fortunately as expected I was negative. The PLF was really a waste of time when my wife and I flew to Denmark and back in November. It was not cheap to complete with pruchase of tests and there was absolutely no checking of whether we had a PLF on our arrival back at Stanstead.