Boom boom boom.

capnsensible

Visit site
Ive now got three booms.

2 short ones that add up to the same length as the new one.......

Im no metallurgist, but it looks to me that if you rivet a stainless bit to an aluminium boom and don't use something like Duralac, then eventually something will break. Like a boom......

Never seen anything like it. 10 knots of wind, nothing tight, boom folded in half vertically.

Manufacturers not very interested 'its 17 years old'.

Oh, do you warn everyone to get a new boom after 16 years then? Doh.......

Take a look at yours, its an expensive failure!!!

30boat

N/A
Visit site
Any corrosion or old cracks? My boom is 34 years old and looks quite healthy but I should probably inspect it.
A length of extrusion shouldn't be too expensive.

capnsensible

Visit site
No real sign until boom folded except a bit powdery on the rivets.

£630 for new boom, delivery £ 200 and £31 import duty........... :ambivalence:

30boat

N/A
Visit site
What manufacturer are you ordering from?When I replaced my mast 2010 ZSpars quoted for a boom for my Fulmar and I seem to remember it was less than that but I may be wrong.It's a long boom around 4m.

capnsensible

Visit site
Seriously thought this was a thread about basil brush plus

Baldricks war poetry?

The split seems to have started on the underside at the point where the rivet is for the mainsheet fitting. I wasn't onboard at the time but had a good chat with the skipper. Seemed to happen in slow motion.

Worrying thing is that it could be a manufacturing defect.

Got my rigger oppo coming down tomorrow and we will do a full mast inspection. Have already drilled out and replaced a few rivets on things like pole fitting etc.

The spar maker actually gave us a nice 100 quid discount.

Not sailing next week so it will give me something to do. Apart from my scheduled installation of a new engine on me other yacht!!!

wklein

Visit site
Admittedly z-spars do not make the worlds finest booms but the only time I have seen something like this is when preventers are rigged from midway along the boom. Generally cracks go fore and aft from mainsheet bails

alant

Visit site
Baldricks war poetry?

The split seems to have started on the underside at the point where the rivet is for the mainsheet fitting. I wasn't onboard at the time but had a good chat with the skipper. Seemed to happen in slow motion.

Worrying thing is that it could be a manufacturing defect.

Got my rigger oppo coming down tomorrow and we will do a full mast inspection. Have already drilled out and replaced a few rivets on things like pole fitting etc.

The spar maker actually gave us a nice 100 quid discount.

Not sailing next week so it will give me something to do. Apart from my scheduled installation of a new engine on me other yacht!!!

Loose footed main for the duration?

Sailfree

Visit site
My boom has been moving on the gooseneck. 3 m8 pan head screws each side not stopping movement. On examination holes in boom have corrosion and enlarged.

Drilled out and tapped for M10 bolts with hex heads this year and refitted with duralax. See how it goes but bought drills and tap for M12 bolts if necessary. Not sure how much meat is on the aluminium gooseneck though as hidden inside boom.