Book on seamanship

kestreljames

Visit site
Any recommendations for books on seamanship.

Id like to get back into coastal sailing in the future.

I can sail so I'm not worried about that but more on seamanship, rules of the road, navigation etc.

I have seamanship by Peter kemp's seamanship but a very early edition so would like something newer.

Refueler

Visit site
When I read the Title ... I thought ... blimey !! A Yottie who wants a Seamanship Book .....

Then read post ....

Apologies ... I was going to recc'd Danton's .. then with reading post realise its a Yottie book wanted ....

OK ... oldies but goodies :

Sailing ..... by Peter Heaton - a Penguin Handbook.

Coastal Cruising .... by Colin Jarman ISBN : 0-7136-1569-9
`
Sailing and Boating - The Complete equipment Guide ... by Colin Jarman ISBN : 0-7153-8309-8

Practical Handbook for Cruiser and Dinghy Sailing - SET SAIL ... by Mike Darton ISBN : 1-85501-033-X

And just to add to the list - not about cruising - but all the tech data ever needed :

Boat Data Book ... by Ian Nicholson ISBN : 0-85177-345-1

+

The Boat Owners Practical Dictionary ... by Denny Desoutter

Solent based ? - Crreeks and Harbours of the Solent ... by K Adlard Coles

As I said - oldies - so maybe there are new versions out there ..... but still - they have good info that has stood test of time.

When I lived in UK - I used to visit book shops - particularly where old editions were still on the shelves ... picking up bargains ...

B27

Visit site
Probably find a book intended to get you through the RYA Yachtmaster scheme is a good basis.
I find it good to read a couple of different books/authors for different viewpoints.

I have an Admiralty Manual of Seamanship, which is almost entirely irrelevant.

Kelpie

Visit site
As a child, I picked up a copy of 'Seamanship in Small Open Boats' by Ken Duxbury, for 20p in a school library sale.
Makes anything bigger than a dinghy look like a superyacht.
Very basic by today's standards but it's partially responsible for the following 30yrs of boat obsession.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I was in a similar position to you, leisure sailor, significantly experienced in UK coastal and ocean sailing but had dropped out for a decade and half. My confidence was quite shot when I returned.

I found Duncan Wells, Stress Free series of books excellent: Stress Free Sailing, Stress Free Navigation, Stress Free Mooring and the wonderful 101 Tips for Stress Free Sailing. They quickly got me back up to speed and addressed confidence issues I had with mooring. They are up to date regarding plotter navigation, modern and have relevant seamanship stuff for leisure sailors in typical craft sailed these days.

Worth a go in my opinion based on my experience.

https://westviewsailing.co.uk/stress-free/

pij27

Visit site
I was in a similar position to you, leisure sailor, significantly experienced in UK coastal and ocean sailing but had dropped out for a decade and half. My confidence was quite shot when I returned.

I found Duncan Wells, Stress Free series of books excellent: Stress Free Sailing, Stress Free Navigation, Stress Free Mooring and the wonderful 101 Tips for Stress Free Sailing. They quickly got me back up to speed and addressed confidence issues I had with mooring. They are up to date regarding plotter navigation, modern and have relevant seamanship stuff for leisure sailors in typical craft sailed these days.

Worth a go in my opinion based on my experience.

https://westviewsailing.co.uk/stress-free/
recommend the stress free sailing as gives good advice for short and single handling