boiling cans - am I going to die

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
buy another boat

On the Waffie and then on the Redfox, we did that-made life a lot easier when freshwater at a premium. Now, with 100g tanks, all washing under running water sometimes- s'not the same.
I get heartsick this time o'night for real sailing-'but the water is wide, i cannot get o'er, nor can i afford SWMBO's wings to fly...so i'm stuck with 10.82 metres,... oh, love is gentle and love is kind.... there is a ship and she sails the sea, loaded deep as deep as deep can be...'

Night all, bot and half of red, 3 pints of guiness, 'Absent Friends', and good company, leave you a bit maudlin

£1,000 would get you a small one for the creek crawling

have two boats

why not

take a look at boats and outboards

and imagine how marvelous 10m would feel after a week in the little one

D

of course if you can't afford the £1000 there is another way of getting a taste of the back to absics sailing and see some parets of the Uk that you poor depth challenged sailors will never get to experience

see below

Last edited:

Thistle

Visit site
Ubergeekian's Breakfast Tip Number 1: You can eat Kelloggs multipack cereals straight from their little boxes. Open the box, open the inner wrapper, pour in milk, eat, chuck.

091009_cereal_variety_pack.jpg

Thistle's Breakfast Tip Number 1: ... Open the box, open the inner wrapper, pour in milk, eat the box, chuck.

Last edited:

FergusM

Visit site
John, I have had no trouble sailing many many a mile with my lovely blonde Swedish wife, who reckoned disposing of paper plates was a lot more sensible than washing melamine ones.

One of my cherished memories is ghosting among the wooded islands of the Stockholm Archipelago on our varnished Folkboat on a lovely summer evening, sitting on the after deck with my leg draped lazely over the tiller, and herself coming out of the cabin and handing me a plate of spaghetti bolognese with grated Parmesan melting on top. And the sauce wasn't out of a tin, either. Freshly made on the Origo.

Mind you, I realised I was a man singularly blessed among men the day my mother-in-law fell overboard as we were coming in to moor against an island.

Go on, eat your hearts out with jealousy...

dylanwinter

here we are

Not a clue - that's why I asked... :D

Seems to be some kind of metal frame - I can see a heat source but not what's between it and the plate/pie contraption..

thanks for asking

it is some kind of metal frame

the details are on the KTL website

access to all this information and much, much more costs less than having a cheap little gizmo delivered to your house.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Folding-Campi...amping_CookingSupplies_ET&hash=item53e2e4f31b

oh bugger! - just gave it away.

Now there is no point in watching any of the ktl films.

Last edited:

saltwater_gypsy

www.saltwatergypsy.com
Ahem ....you may not be aware of this but you can buy food which has not been pre-canned!!! Its just a matter of going to another aisle in the supermarket. Eggs, pasta, potatoes and other vegetables etc do not requuire any drastic change in your technique. You just put the ingredients in boiling water for a bit.
Good luck!!!

dylanwinter

you are correct but....

Ahem ....you may not be aware of this but you can buy food which has not been pre-canned!!! Its just a matter of going to another aisle in the supermarket. Eggs, pasta, potatoes and other vegetables etc do not requuire any drastic change in your technique. You just put the ingredients in boiling water for a bit.
Good luck!!!

I agree, however, this is also an excercise in lateral thinking and mythbusting.

So just roll with the concept.

As for fresh food - I agree that is an excellent thing

I have a few questions for you

how long is your boat?

can you stand up in it?

do you sail in the winter?

is there any kind of work surface in the kitthen area?

Does it have a kitchen area?

Fresh is excellent - but harder to manage on a small boat with no fridge, no oven, no space, no standing headroom, no pumped water, nowhere to stand up, no work surface.

In the summer its very, very easy - you have the cockpit to work in.

In february, on a dark evening, well, in my experience its a bit harder,

so the option of getting some hot food fast is very attractive

Yours sincerely

Sonya Bonya

head chef at Keepturningleft.co.uk

Last edited:

Tidewaiter2

Turning Left this season?-Nach Friesians?
Visit site
Ah Dylan, d'ye not see?

£1,000 would get you a small one for the creek crawling

have two boats

why not

take a look at boats and outboards

and imagine how marvelous 10m would feel after a week in the little one

D

of course if you can't afford the £1000 there is another way of getting a taste of the back to absics sailing and see some parets of the Uk that you poor depth challenged sailors will never get to experience
see below

Dylan, thats the problem-a southerly draws about 1.2m even with 55m of 10mm and three anchors- we still see the yellow bits, but with h&C, shwr, 100g tanks, Eber, etc, etc.
We held onto the Waffie for 18 months after we bought the RF- but she wasn't getting sailed- nothing worse than that-ruins the boat-i did Southwold to Lilla Hamburgo in 98 that Waffie, plus the Irish Sea and a lot of other stuff. We didn't cry when the new owner drove her off, but it was close.
Same with the RF idc, there was an overlap, but more fitting out.

Couldn't live without shoal draft, otherwise you just plod from standard port to standard port, instead of drying out on Herm, Brehat, Chausey, Regneville,up Milford Haven, Port Logan, etc

What you miss is the simplicity and fellowship of such cruising.

Tidewaiter2

Turning Left this season?-Nach Friesians?
Visit site
Try Wayfarer News............

could you ever imagine a member of staff on any of the yachting magazines in the UK covering stuff like this

eating straight out of the ceral packet

tinned haggis

paper plates on plastic ones

which yacht manufacturer would be prepared to take a full page advert up against an artical that included this sort of information.

Incredible stuff chaps

Try reading a copy of Wayfarer News or the Dranscombe Owners, 'Dinghy Cruising', or the OGA mag??

Ah Tinned Haggis, hot or cold, the open boat cruisers friend! tin opener & spoon, 24/7!!!

salinia

Visit site
Over 6000 views on boiling cans etc who would have thought it? anyway my computer takes ages to view your interesting video footage Dylan. Do you have a full length DVD of your small boat travels and tips for sale?

PS Sorry to hear of your recent set back.