Boat speeds in crowded waters

Ripster

Visit site
Was coming up Soton Water yesterday about 4pmish we were just about to turn to the Hamble,boats al around as can be imagined at that time of day with the sun out. There was a good mix of motor and sail, everyone being sensible and keeping safe passage in relation to all the others - well roughly. All of a sudden we heard this roar behind us and this racing boat came down the middle at 50ish knots. The Old Bill were about along with just about every other type of patrol boat and they would certainly have been aware of this. Surely this cannot be classed as a safe thing to do in such crowded Seaways?

Nothing against racing Powerboats at all, just can't understand the need to have to do it there at that time under those circumstances. If anyone had moved in the way, they would have been wiped out.

onesea

Visit site
Ripster, Those things do not normally bug me so much they normally pull low wash can turn and stop on a hair pin as I understand plus I figure they are keeping a lookout. The ones I hate are the fly bridge cruisers doing 20 knots+ pulling 2 foot of wash and and you cannot see if anyone is keeping a look out or chatting to his mistress or whatever there is to side track him...

Ripster

Visit site
Onesea, yes you are right of course, the wash though it made a fair bow wave, was probably not worse than a 40ft sports boat. my concern was the sheer speed it came through the mass of boats doing an average of about 6-8kn! This thing was flying (looked very impressive) and even the best look out could not IMO state he/she would see and anticipate everything. I know nothing happened and no collisions etc., but it just seemed an unnecessary risk to do there with so much slow potentially inexperienced traffic about.

capt_courageous

Visit site
Hi. The Western Solent and most of Southampton water have no speed restrictions. The East is very different since it come under the QHM Portsmouth. East of a line from Cowes to Hillhead to another from Langstone to Bembridge there is a limit of 10 knots within 1000 yards (old money) of the shore. QHM have a very nice leaflet called WASH and SLOW showing all the restrictions in the Solent area. Sadly they don't have the resources to catch and prosecute offenders. Marina operators would do us all a favour if they gave a copy to some of their berth holders. No names, no pack drill.

Last edited: