Boat Sale, Brokers and Prospective Customers !!

Planty

Visit site
Well, sorry to relate Damn has been sold and I'm now big boatless for a bit, still retained a very small interest just to retain mooring 'til March but effectively she's now someone elses! Still got the race boat of course so not Cold Turkey quite yet !!

However I have been watching recent posts re boat selling and brokers etc with keen interest due to this situation. I think I can say that apart from one really superb broker and a delightful couple who purchased boat, the process is a bl88ding shambles.

When I see people asking why sellers leave their boat with kit on it when selling, I could have screamed, it's probably 'cos like me they have cleared, restocked, cleared, restocked the boat so many times and then driven halfway across the country for some arsehole to decide they couldn't be bothered that day to view boat or only came to have a nose and a jolly with no intention of buying. Or perhaps they, like us, delight in keeping the boat nice and yet then get the same arseholes asking you to consuder offers £20k under an already very reasonable price as theres a similar model (older, smaller engines, kept like cr8p) at such and such a marina!!

Then what about prices, we really studied what we should offer the boat at and then thought knock off a further 10 -15k to attract serious buyers and low and behold what do you get, even more arseholes making ridiculous offers, I mean truly ridiculous eg. put a 2003 F43, 550hours, all possible extras, TAMD74's, fully teaked etc up at 199k, always expecting an offer possibly including jetrib to clinch etc, so where does an offer of 140k come from ?? Then to make matters worse keep pestering the hell out of you about you can have deposit today, every other day and by the way they hadn't even visited or seen the boat !!

Have to tell you one set of brokers did my crunch completely. I haven't broadcast too much but suffered a pretty major problem with the old ticker earlier this summer and had to go and have emergency op etc and decided to convalesce on boat for a week, well I tell you, one brokerage (from the Hamble, ex Sealine years ago) nearly put me back in there, rare I lose it completely but they managed it alright!!

On a bright note though I cannot praise all at Hutchins Marine highly enough, Phil and his team there have been an absolute delight to deal with and straight as a die. From enquiry, to viewings, to deal making, to surveying, to final hand over / money dealings, all just an absolute pleasure. No wonder they were able to find such a cracking couple to purchase Damn and do a deal taht all were more than happy with. There is absolutely no doubt about it when I come back into the market after diesel fiasco is all done, I will buy through Hutchins Marine, simple as that!

So next time you think "why do vendors do such and such?" just remember that they are having to deal with the Great British public and probably like me found them, in the main, to be a complete pain in the Butt! Except for the odd exception of course, just try and ensure that you are that exception??

Regards to all. Paul P

amf

www.crmtechnologies.com
Timely post! Have decided to put our Targa 34 up for sale and are currently considering which brokers to use. Sold our last boat through Ancastas who did a pretty good job but they charge high % for non-exclusive deal - and I don't fancy being tied to one broker for 6 months. Did you do an exclusive deal with Hutchins? and can I ask what sort of % they asked for?

Cheers

Andrew

Targa 34 for sale

Planty

Visit site
Hi Andrew,

No Hutchins did not insist on exclusivity, however next time I might consider requesting that myself to ease the pain a bit. They were cheaper on % than others and more than willing to barter on brokerage costs and operated no sale no fee. We were more than happy with the charges we paid and consider they more than earned it! Google Hutchins marine for number or Phil (MD) on 07766051455.

Wish you all the very best wth your sale,

Regards
Paul

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
still Planty your post is right, but a few days ago we had another post of brokers not forwarding offers
so where do we stand on this....
in the end a Broker should forward all offers and then its the owner who decides?
You can simply say No Thanks to any offer even if this 10 pounds less, that is up for you to decide

Nautical

www.outerreefyachts.com
Welcome to the world of boat selling, now just imagine you have dozens of boats to sell and cus they are sexy looking whizz machines every bloke and his wife think that lottery ticket is just gonna come trumps on Saturday eve so why not go look at what they are going to spend it on all Sat morning, "yep that's the one for us, we'll send the deposit in Monday!".

Well you'll never guess...............that ticket never came up, cept their story is, the mother in law just fell down the stairs and is in hospital and the treatment at BUPA is going to cost a fortune, we'll get back to you.

There are some right numpty dealers about for sure but Oh my Gawd their are thousands of wasters out there dreaming about their next boat that they are sure can be bought for cheap money cus they think your desperate, er yeah right.

Then they come back in the spring demanding you sell them that boat you had last November but of course its gone so they want a new one, eh no, cus all the sensible people bought a slot last September, so off they go in a huff saying your a useless dealer cus you have no boats to sell.

Thank eck its the weekend, I am fed up this week with wally's.

PS , Apologies to any Mother-in-laws that just fell down the stairs /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sorry rant over /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Moody

Visit site
This is exactly why I went down the route of part exchange, (my last two boats were sold through a broker).

I just couldn't be arsed with a constant stream of fender kickers, trying to buy the boat for nothing, and being critical because it's not in as new condition.

Neil

Overdraught

Visit site
Well, I have to add that I have enjoyed a near faultless sale and purchase over the last few weeks. We put our Sea Ray up for sale last minute in the Ancasta used boat show back in September. She sold on the weekend with an offer less than 10% under asking price. Ancasta were excellent (although expensive) and even persuaded the buyer to take care of the post survey rectification jobs, after a very small renegotiation.

We then found a Targa for sale through JD Yachts in Weymouth who could not have been more helpful. We agreed a fair price and they have been first class with service, advice and support. We have owned the boat for a week and take delivery tomorrow. During this last week she has been serviced,re-antifouled and polished, all by arrangement thru' the broker. The prices quoted and charged were all very reasonable. I will use them for the re-sale.

Maybe I've been lucky?

Planty

Visit site
I know exactly where you are coming from, and not just from boat sale, try fitting 40+ bathrooms / kitchens for the public each wek, in truth I am getting to hate dealing with all the "tryers" and "compensation chasers". At least once a week you just know as soon as they pay a deposit there at it, we try and give them the deposit back now. Funny how they're not satisfied from day one but "how dare you suggest I might be happier geting another provider!!" Too many TV shows saying in fact "If someone provides a service, they are making a fortune and can afford to give the odd one away, so just try it on!!"

Rant over !! P

Planty

Visit site
I agree Brokers should pass on all offers, but should actively dissuade stupid offers as they can enrage. Also have a suspicion that some brokers at the "Shark end" of the market are not passing on offers so that vendor will eventually accept silly offer as "no others fortcoming", then broker purchases themselves and sell on later ??.

Brokers act for the Vendor not the purchaser and therefore act to protect the vendor in a way. Their fee comes off the vendors money at the end of the day. I have to say most of my frustration has been born from one particular broker acting more for the purchaser than me, I suspect just to get a sale and thus their fee off me! Tough luck lads!! P

Renegade_Master

Visit site
Hi Planty yes hes a good man our Phil, I bought the original school boat St Crispin F36 from Phil. Now I'm also in the brokerage business we do some business together. In fact Phils coming out mid November.

Good luck with your next choice and look after yourself too.

gjgm

Visit site
I know there is no % rule for an offer, but I m curious as to what "cheap money" is? Ballpark, I tend to think up to 10% is quite a sensible offer, 15% is getting a bit stretched , and anything more isnt worth bothering with.
What do other buyers and seller feel?

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
as a Broker
I can say sometimes we receive offers 30-40% from the listing price
its just someone trying a bet and sometimes 1/10 manage to conclude a deal
depends the seller how motivated is in all of this

as a saying overhere goes = a boat is worth how much it sells...

I think whatever offer you receive it is important that it is in writing if not IMO cannot even be bother

Nautical

www.outerreefyachts.com
Bearing in mind we are the importer and obviously have an interest in keeping the secondhand values high and are obligated to make sure that new customers dont suddenly find a similar model being discounted like the divel so even though you explain such to potential buyers you will sometimes get people offering 30% - 40% less than the asking in which case we are polite but infer they might be better speaking to another dealer or brand.

If we broker for a client we ask before the boat even goes on the market at what level does he want us to negociate on his behalf, what's his lower limit and where do we not bother ringing him with silly offers. Then its all clear from the start, many of our clients are busy people and have limits to the amount of time they have to being pestered with offers that are just silly. Normally most will give us authority to deal to around 10% lower than asking after that we would forward any offer to the lower limit. Anything over 20% under the asking and we don't bother with forwarding the offer, if the client is desperate and is looking at those sorts of offers then would probably buy the boat back in ourselves for stock (assuming its an Absolute of course /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Argonautical

Visit site
PLANTY!!!

Here I sit in my deserted showroom, waiting for Mr & Mrs X to come in and at least express an interest in a £40k kitchen at the moment!

Bit quiet at the minute, still we should all be bloody Christmas shopping by now shouldnt we???

I hate no payers, compensation chasers etc etc too!

As a previous buyer only 6 months or so ago, I would add that certain broikers are seriously........No Very Seriously.............'IFFY' with the truth also.

Jas, the Bedfordhire and Cambridgeshire KITCHEN Magnate! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Buy my cup holders PLEASE! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
[ QUOTE ]
Bearing in mind we are the importer and obviously have an interest in keeping the secondhand values high and are obligated to make sure that new customers dont suddenly find a similar model being discounted like the divel so even though you explain such to potential buyers you will sometimes get people offering 30% - 40% less than the asking in which case we are polite but infer they might be better speaking to another dealer or brand.

If we broker for a client we ask before the boat even goes on the market at what level does he want us to negociate on his behalf, what's his lower limit and where do we not bother ringing him with silly offers. Then its all clear from the start, many of our clients are busy people and have limits to the amount of time they have to being pestered with offers that are just silly. Normally most will give us authority to deal to around 10% lower than asking after that we would forward any offer to the lower limit. Anything over 20% under the asking and we don't bother with forwarding the offer, if the client is desperate and is looking at those sorts of offers then would probably buy the boat back in ourselves for stock (assuming its an Absolute of course /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with all of this but it might surprise you hearing that the same low offer which was very low and was not accepted a month later was accepted at the same value....
e.g. client calls offers 250 EU for a Fairline 46 - 2000 asking 350 EU over the phone, I tell him to send a signed offer with intend to purchase. Client never signed the offer so I never forward anything. A month passes and I hear the F46 was sold for 260.

here in the med we are suffering a lot the Leasing Buying VAT reduced scheme and new boats are selling more then ever, still some boats manage to keep there value quite well!

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Planty, Sorry to hear about your ticker problem. I hope and trust all is well now
I must admit that I don't understand why you're pissed that somebody might offer less than you're expecting for your boat. It's entirely up to you whether you accept their offer and, in any case, a low starting offer may be the start of a negotiating process whereby you end up with an acceptable offer. By intimating that any offer that does'nt meet your expectation is an insult, you risk putting a potential buyer off
As regards emptying your boat of personal effects when selling a boat, it's a fact of boating life that some potential purchasers are attracted to boats without the owners' personal effects on them because it becomes easier for them to imagine themselves owning the boat
I also don't understand why you've been driving halfway across the country to show potential purchasers your boat. Surely that's the broker's job?