Boat names with numbers. What are the rules?

DoubleEnder

Visit site
Thinking about U.K. boats, registered on SSR.
It is fairly common to see a boat’s name with a number, (sometimes Roman) after it. Eg SAILYBOAT 2. or SAILYBOAT XXI. Or 99 PROBLEMS.
Are there any rules about this, do you think?
could a boat be called just a number? 23?
Or maybe one letter and a number K23?

or would this get confused with sail numbers do you think? And would that matter if it were just a little cruising boat.?

dunedin

Visit site
A boat registered under Part 1 needs to have a unique name - hence a lot of people add something after a name “MyBoat of MyTown”. I don’t believe that applies under Part 3 / SSR.
Some of the MyBoat VIII type are serial boat owners who like to keep the same basic name but differentiate the “new” boat. Often race boat owners - eg Oystercatcher IX.
Some are just having a larf - “Final Fling 2”
Suspect a boat named as a number might be better registered as words - eg “Twenty Three”

Boathook

Visit site
Thinking about U.K. boats, registered on SSR.
It is fairly common to see a boat’s name with a number, (sometimes Roman) after it. Eg SAILYBOAT 2. or SAILYBOAT XXI. Or 99 PROBLEMS.
Are there any rules about this, do you think?
could a boat be called just a number? 23?
Or maybe one letter and a number K23?

or would this get confused with sail numbers do you think? And would that matter if it were just a little cruising boat.?
The only searchable database for boat names would seem to be Ship Station List (itu.int) for those that have officially registered their VHF radios.

From the SSR application form -
Ships will not be registered if they have undesirable or offensive names or which may cause confusion; e.g. if prefixed by FV or HMS. Names such as ‘SOS’, ‘MAYDAY’ or ‘LIFEBOAT’ will not be allowed. Ships must have a name before they can be registered.

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
The SSR will most likely reject just numbers and letters as too confusing.
In the past I have had confusion refusals for ‘The Good ship Venus’ shortened to ‘Good ship Venus ’, ‘The Pequod’ shortened to ‘Pequod’, and the phonetic ‘F’ re spelled ‘Foxtrot’, even though I already had all 3 first choices on their ships vhf license.
God knows what they would have made of my initial thought of having the phonetic F spelled in morse code

Last edited:

Leighb

Visit site
For Part I as said above the name must be unique, For that Port of Registry, so you can have SeaCat registered in London even if there is another one but registered in Hull. If you particularly wanted to register your boat in Hull and name it SeaCat, it would have to be SeaCat II or SeaCat of Hull, etc.
For SSR any duplications are no problem.

laika

Visit site
For Part I as said above the name must be unique, For that Port of Registry, so you can have SeaCat registered in London even if there is another one but registered in Hull.

sorry, incorrect. I confirmed this with the registry last time someone posted this

jlavery

Visit site
I challenge you to find a marine in the UK that doesn’t have at least one boat called Carpe Diem. And usually a Moody Blue as well.
There's a Carpé Diem (yes, with an acute accent) in Milford Marina. I have to resist the urge to go all "John Cleese in Life Of Brian" and lecture them on the difference between Latin and French.