Boat fire

Corribee72

Visit site
We had a fire on board last night and I need to pass on some information that may or may not be useful to any newbies, like us, who may be out there. We, thats my wife and I, were happily eating our fish and chips whilst the kettle was heating up on a camping stove, suddenly a literal fire ball, luckily we were out of the cabin and the cabin was ablaze. I have two fire extinguishers, both in the cabin and beyond reach, due to fire and terrible fumes. A nearby boat very knindly gave me a fire extinguisher and I put the fire out, the powder was amazingly effective. Hampshire fire and rescue arrived and gave the boat a once over with thermal imagers, removing smouldering items, they were absolutely outstanding, a big thank you to all those who offered assistance. We replaced the good Samaritans extinguisher today along with some flowers. The points I wanted to emphasize were, beware camping stoves, the fire chief said the canisters can work loose and that heat transference to the cannister from pot or kettle can be enough to cause a problem. Be mindful were the extinguishers are, if someone was at the far end of the cabin, they would have been in serious trouble, I will have extinguishers at both ends of the boat now. Those powder extinguishers are so effective, a £20 extinguisher pretty much saved my boat. Fire can start in an instance, when you least expect it, so have plans in place and finally, when the pooh hits the fan people rise to the occasion, thanks again to all. We have removed the panelling to replace it, need a new solar panel and some wiring, need to do some upholstery, and need to do a lot of cleaning but we are unhurt, still have a boat and didnt damage anyone else's boat. We got very, very lucky, live and learn and all that.

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
On of our local lads ended up in the thankfully local East Grinstead burns unit after a not dissimilar incident in a Scouting environment. I no longer have confidence in these appliances... Old fashioned may be heavy, but it is mostly predictably dangerous or ineffective.

Uricanejack

Visit site
Glad you survived none the worse for wear.
What make and kind of stove.
I had one of these. A Home Hardware. single burner, stove, Also sold by lots of outlets. Bottle fits in under a flap and you push a lever to engage.
Mine is now at the bottom of the Salish Sea. Along with one of our saloon bunk cushions. I have only one eyebrow. :)

Those damn things are dangerous.

Also I would never use a portable camp stove inside the boat again.

sarabande

Visit site
Well done for keeping cool and saving the boat, and also for posting about the event.

For alternatives to powder, which is very messy and which can contaminate electrical equipment, I suggest you consider water mist. These can be used on all sorts of fire inc oil and electrical.

https://www.safelincs.co.uk/ultrafire-water-mist-fire-extinguishers/

I have two, and have no connection with the suppliers other than being a satisfied customer.

VicS

Visit site
Glad you survived none the worse for wear.
What make and kind of stove.
I had one of these. A Home Hardware. single burner, stove, Also sold by lots of outlets. Bottle fits in under a flap and you push a lever to engage.
Mine is now at the bottom of the Salish Sea. Along with one of our saloon bunk cushions. I have only one eyebrow. :)

Those damn things are dangerous.

Also I would never use a portable camp stove inside the boat again.

The hazards associated with these stoves were highlighted by the Boat Safety Scheme jointly with Hampshire County Council Trading Standards as long ago as 2009 following a series of incidents in which users were badly burnt. Warnings have been repeated regularly ever since and often mentioned on these forums, but still there are accidents with them !

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/stay-safe/fire-safety-for-boats/portable-gas-appliances/

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Good to hear that all are safe and they are other good people about.

I witnessed a tent catch fire due to a stove like that and was amazed at how quickly the fire took hold.

As Sarabande says water mist is the way to go and having read your story am now thinking of adding a extinguisher to the cockpit locker!

PaulJS

Visit site
I would also highly recommend a CO2 extinguisher. Extremely effective at extinguishing fires in enclosed spaces, although you have to be aware that you will need to force ventilate the space before people can safely enter. I know that they are recommended for electrical fires but Ihave seen a simple CO2 fire extinguisher immediately kill an oil fire in a shallow tray in windy conditions, and if the gas can sit on top of such a tray it could easily fill a boat up to the cockpit coaming. Easiest way to get rid of it is using the bilge pump if it's a diaphragm type as it takes suction from the lowest part of the space and discharges it overboard.
A quick edit: Sorry, first of all I should have said to the OP that I'm glad they are ok, and thanks for posting.

Last edited:

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
having read your story am now thinking of adding a extinguisher to the cockpit locker!

We have a big extinguisher in the cockpit locker for just such an event (needing to fight into the fire rather than out of it). Its in the same locker as the gas bottle on the basis that if there is a fire it will be something to do with the gas cooker, the gas will be on so the locker will be unlocked, and the gas can be shut off at the same time the extinguisher is grabbed.

To the OP, thanks for sharing and glad to hear all safe. I think you could do worse than invite the RNLI along for a sea check once you have cleaned up. We did that when we bought the boat and following their advice we have fire extinguishers positioned in every part of the boat where someone might need to fight their way out (in the forecabin, in the stern berth which is quite vulnerable as the only way out of it is past the cooker, and in the companionway). It's really helpful (free) advice and will make you feel confident going back to sea.

Visit site
Good to hear you got through unscathed, it must have been a very unsettling experience indeed. Jolly well done for posting your "errors/room for improvement" in hindsight, it takes some bravery to potentially face criticism, but such an unselfish act may serve a reader well some day.
I am very paranoid about fire, we have four extinguishers on our little boat, one in the cockpit, two in the cabin, and one in our little fore berth. We also have a bucket on a string on the back of the boat - used sometimes for "other" purposes, I have it in my head to use it to throw water over a fire, though how effective that might be time wise I do not know.
It would be interesting to hear from others who have dealt with fire on board. Once again, very glad to hear no one was hurt, and refreshing to know fellow sailors came to your aid

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
I've not of heard that as a cause of a fire before, I saw two fires one in Antigua Race Week and one on a buoy in Bonaire both were electrical fires. Our boat had a fire extinguisher in the loo, on the front bulkhead, by the sink and on the aft bulkhead. The aft one was gas for the engine room powder destroys the electronics.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I would also highly recommend a CO2 extinguisher.
That would go against the entire body of knowledge behind the fire extinguisher industry. CO2 is only rated for combustible liquid and electrical fires. Personally, I have very little combustible liquid onboard, but lots of combustible materials, including wood and paper hence have currently dry powder onboard; that is being changed for water mist.

I'm a fire warden at work and have a refresher course every three years where I get to play with all sorts of extinguishers on all sorts of types of fire. I would only use CO2 on what it is rated for as I've seen what happens when you use it on anything else; it usually re-ignites soon after you stop hitting it with CO2 and it is pretty rubbish with gas fires.

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Good to hear no body hurt and others came to your assistance. Thanks for posting.

Sandy have you or anyone else had experience of using one of these new water mist extinguishers? would be interested to hear from first hand use of one.

Me too. I currently only have dry powder and i'd like to change that. Will get one CO2 for the engine space, but wouldn't mind something better than dry powder for the rest of the boat.

Thanks also to the OP for sharing his experience and glad no-one was hurt.

Uricanejack

Visit site
Not a portable extinguisher. Not on a sailboat.

I have experience with a fixed system which was activated after a fire caused by high pressure fuel leak.
Water mist activated what would probably would have been a major fire with any other system was out in seconds with no damage.
In fact we just fixed the leak and carried on. No Fuss.

The powder are cheep and work, But they make a heck of a mess. They also don't cool. so not ideal for A class.

If these portables have the same fine water mist tech. I expect they will be very good. If I can get an USCG or CCG approved one I quite probably will.

Uricanejack

Visit site
The hazards associated with these stoves were highlighted by the Boat Safety Scheme jointly with Hampshire County Council Trading Standards as long ago as 2009 following a series of incidents in which users were badly burnt. Warnings have been repeated regularly ever since and often mentioned on these forums, but still there are accidents with them !

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/stay-safe/fire-safety-for-boats/portable-gas-appliances/

Yes. Exactly the kind in their Bulletin. I have posted the story before. My event was around about 08 or 09. I cant remember exactly.
Admittedly, I was rather stupid using a portable stove inside the boat. We had used it quite a few times before. It was a small 24ft boat without a fixed galley. At anchor on cold evening, making some hot chocolate.

It seemed like a good idea at the time. The stove is a type commonly sold and used for camping. and looked like it was a nice stable ring to put a pot or kettle on. Surprisingly I thought it was safer than the small folding portable butane stove I use for back packing.

There were 4 of us on board. My wife and two kids were up forward. the fire was between them and the exit. The fire between me and the extinguisher. I used the hatch board to pick it up and throw it overboard. The burning cushion went next.

My daughter went out the fore deck hatch. My wife and son found it quite disconcerting they were stuck.

All very embarrassing, Foam filled cushions burn quite spectacularly. Even in the sea. We lite and woke the whole anchorage up.
A passing ferry even stopped and put a boat down.

If someone else learns from my stupidity all good.:cool:

Last edited:

PaulJS

Visit site
That would go against the entire body of knowledge behind the fire extinguisher industry. CO2 is only rated for combustible liquid and electrical fires. Personally, I have very little combustible liquid onboard, but lots of combustible materials, including wood and paper hence have currently dry powder onboard; that is being changed for water mist.

I'm a fire warden at work and have a refresher course every three years where I get to play with all sorts of extinguishers on all sorts of types of fire. I would only use CO2 on what it is rated for as I've seen what happens when you use it on anything else; it usually re-ignites soon after you stop hitting it with CO2 and it is pretty rubbish with gas fires.

Hi Sandy,
I've got to admit that for gas fires unless the CO2 can isolate the fuel from the ignition source OR the oxygen supply it will be ineffective, but as our boats are normally pretty well enclosed spaces which are only open at the top, it would still be my first choice for any inboard fire simply because it is so much cleaner and won't cause much, or indeed any other damage.
I'm a Marine Engineer, and all of the Engine Rooms I have worked in are fitted with CO2 or similar flooding systems, designed to fill the space and exclude the air.
I'll also restate that an enclosed space which has been CO2 flooded MUST be ventilated once the fire is extinguished before re-entering the space.
Thanks for raising your points, made me think. ��
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the value of closing doors, windows, other entrances, and vents which can also smother a fire pretty effectively. Again you need to be certain the fire is out completely before letting any air back in...

Last edited: