Boat Choice, Build Quality and Satisfaction

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Having owned and sailed extensively over the years the following yachts: In order - oldest first

1. Outlaw - class 1 from 60's - disaster down wind! plus other class 1's
2. Sadler 25 (my first - well mannered, easy off wind - lovely little boat
3. Bene 477 - sailed like a dinghy - easily raced in 2 handed series at Royal Southampton. Shivered like a tart without cloths to windward in any seas! discovered all interior delaminated from hull....... oh dear - but was lovely to sail - down below in a seaway is was a real problem to cross the saloon, and the chef when through the heads door on the round the Island race when preparing sandwiches! very funny!
4. Bavaria 38 "Holiday". Worst boat I ever sailed - hideous off the wind - sold it 1 month later. Flimsy.
5. MG 40 - well mannered and fast. Bumped rock of Helford - not hard - yes you all know it - 2 years later bottom had to be rebuilt - construction similar to Bene 477 (and most modern boats)
6.. Victory 40: I regret ever selling her in terms of heavy heather performance -200 mile in a day many times down wind (won the RSYC double to Cherbourg in atrocious weather!. Steered herself - never broached even under Spinnaker in far too much wind - 80 hp diesel and covered cockpit - but I perceived her not to be right for the Med.
7. Westerly Ocean Lord: Great off the wind in a blow and seaway (but nowhere near as good as Victory). Ideal for Med - good large deep centre cockpit - can sit 6 for dinner. Well ventilated - strong as hell. comfortable in bad weather - and utterly devoid of noise down below even in rough weather - no creeks or groans. Very very happy with it, and I have no aspirations to change to a more modern job.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Is there any chance you could elaborate on this, please?

Why did you think her unsuitable for the Med, and do you now perceive otherwise?

Would be grateful for your insight.

She had a fully covered cockpit and we thought she might be a little airless. Looking back, I think we were probably right as we live in the cockpit where as the cockpit on the Victory was very much an extension of the saloon - great for northern waters, but I would prefer just to be under a bimini. Indeed the next owner spent several years commuting to the Lofoten islands and then spent 2 years in the Med.

If I was going round the world, the Victory would be my first choice of the 2, but I would also do it in the Oceanlord without any reservations - other than slightly harder work down wind and waves.

NOHOH

Visit site
Chris is completely correct. His Victory has a completely enclosed solid wheelhouse....a fairly unusual configuration for a Victory. Various other configurations do exist, from windscreen only, through canvas half-canopy, and half-solid wheelhouse. The best to consider would be one which allows a flexible arrangement...giving protection from the cold and wet in winter....to good cover from the sun with lots of ventilation in summer. Have a look here for some idea of the variety (down towards the bottom of the page) http://www.victory40.co.uk/owners.htm

Last edited:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Alan is completely correct. His Victory has a completely enclosed solid wheelhouse....a fairly unusual configuration for a Victory. Various other configurations do exist, from windscreen only, through canvas half-canopy, and half-solid wheelhouse. The best to consider would be one which allows a flexible arrangement...giving protection from the cold and wet in winter....to good cover from the sun with lots of ventilation in summer. Have a look here for some idea of the variety (down towards the bottom of the page) http://www.victory40.co.uk/owners.htm

Ah - who is Alan? Thanks for the link to the web site - mine was Corsair a hybrid built at Walton on the Naze to Anne Weaver standards - they subcontracted for Trintella. She is now lives in Loch Fyne. They are very underestimated boats.