Visit site
Google ‘Flotex ‘carpet.
loose lay or stick down.
Scrubable.
Long lasting.
comfortable underfoot.
good range of colours/patterns.
indestructable.
If you want your boat to feel like student digs.
Check the link I did earlier.
My gin palace has way more floor area than a similar sized yacht. And it’s 46ft.
The carpet cost about £300 and it’s luxurious. Who cares if it doesn’t last forever. Replace it.
Edit forgot to say on my last boat the carpet did 6 years and I sold the boat. It was still good.
In this boat I have teak in the galley area. Last one even had carpet there and the polypropylene carpet survived all the cleaning with aggressive products I did.

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
If you want your boat to feel like student digs.
Check the link I did earlier.
My gin palace has way more floor area than a similar sized yacht. And it’s 46ft.
The carpet cost about £300 and it’s luxurious. Who cares if it doesn’t last forever. Replace it.
I decided against a deep pile carpet on the grounds that I would be forever losing my pencils.

Laminar Flow

Visit site
No carpet at sea. For harbour ambience we use small area rugs, strategically placed. They are easily shook out and can be run through the laundry when they get too salty/dirty. IKEA is our favourite source, go for man-made fibres.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
No carpet at sea. For harbour ambience we use small area rugs, strategically placed. They are easily shook out and can be run through the laundry when they get too salty/dirty. IKEA is our favourite source, go for man-made fibres.

I don't think I have that option as my floor is paint splattered and there are screw heads showing. :D

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I prefer comfort over hardwearing and change it every 7 years.

You can always put small rugs down and on a sailing boat a good hard wearing floor is preferable to a fitted carpet which will inevitably get wet and smelly different for a mobo.

Elessar

Visit site
You can always put small rugs down and on a sailing boat a good hard wearing floor is preferable to a fitted carpet which will inevitably get wet and smelly different for a mobo.
It doesn’t get smelly if you use polypropylene.
My carpet gets wet and it just dries again. I don’t understand why you think a motorboat is different.

Don’t get me wrong I like wooden floors. I have them in my house. I just prefer carpet in a boat BECAUSE it gets wet.

If you prefer wood floors in your boat then fine and I’m sure it looks lovely.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
It doesn’t get smelly if you use polypropylene.
My carpet gets wet and it just dries again. I don’t understand why you think a motorboat is different.

Don’t get me wrong I like wooden floors. I have them in my house. I just prefer carpet in a boat BECAUSE it gets wet.

If you prefer wood floors in your boat then fine and I’m sure it looks lovely.
For a Mobo there is generally more shelter and you don't get people coming into the saloon off watch from the cockpit in wet oilskins, Amtico is a synthetic floor covering used in houses and top end motor yachts and yachts. A wet floor inside the yacht with such a floor covering is easily and quickly dealt with unlike a carpet where it stays wet until it can be taken out and dried, also the inevitable spills from the galley are easily dealt with. Hence synthetic or wood flooring with a rug if one wishes for when in harbour and slippers for below decks. (y) ?

Elessar

Visit site
Not all mobisists are fair weather sailors - I’m not - so wet oilskins apply. So do wet swimmers , divers etc etc.
It gets wet. And it dries. It is not a problem.

I agree that amtico is a good solution if you prefer wood.

The steps into the boat, those down into the master, and the galley are teak and holly in mine. It’s positively dangerous with bare wet feet and damages easily when things are dropped on it. It is less durable and harder to repair than carpet (where you can replace a section)

Amtico looks good, is grippier than varnish, is very hard wearing and you can replace a panel. It’s a good choice.

But I prefer carpet.

Last edited:

rib

Visit site
Have fitted and bound carpet in my yacht. On second carpet after 15 years. No smell no hassle. Laid on top of nonslip matt, and extras cut out for galley. On second galley piece after 5 years. Swimming. Rain. seas not a problem at all

Elessar

Visit site
For a Mobo there is generally more shelter and you don't get people coming into the saloon off watch from the cockpit in wet oilskins, Amtico is a synthetic floor covering used in houses and top end motor yachts and yachts. A wet floor inside the yacht with such a floor covering is easily and quickly dealt with unlike a carpet where it stays wet until it can be taken out and dried, also the inevitable spills from the galley are easily dealt with. Hence synthetic or wood flooring with a rug if one wishes for when in harbour and slippers for below decks. (y) ?
Ok youve got me thinking.
My galley floor needs refinishing. Lots of dents. And a previous owner dragged the fridge out carelessly. I was going to sand fill and varnish.
Then I figured it would be a good substrate for amtico.
What pattern did you choose - got a link?

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Ok youve got me thinking.
My galley floor needs refinishing. Lots of dents. And a previous owner dragged the fridge out carelessly. I was going to sand fill and varnish.
Then I figured it would be a good substrate for amtico.
What pattern did you choose - got a link?

No it's years ago just google Amtico it will show you an enormous range and local suppliers. We did the house in it before the boat, sorry can't be more help.

yerffoeg

Visit site
We have always had a saloon carpet, which does add a degree of comfort. We usually get a kitchen carpet offcut. Think of the carpet as sacrificial - you will ned to replace it every 5 years or so because of soiling , wear etc etc. That should be easy - use the old one as a template to cut to size, and then apply copydex to the edge to stop fraying.

alan

Visit site
We have used Ikea mats (about 50cm X 30cm) for a lot of years now. These are non-slip and don't stick to the wooden floor panels even in the med. Eventually they start to slip a bit and need replacing - maybe after 5 or more years of use. They used to cost around 3 euro each and we used about 6 for our cabin (Beneteau 343) and placed strategically around where one walks, sits, drops tools etc. They are not soft pile so do not absorb wet and just need a stiff brush every once in a while to remove crumbs, hairs etc. Also you can still see the wood laminate in the spaces not covered by mats. (I don't have any spares at home so unfortunately can't tell you the name!!!)

Alan.