Boat advice please......

Chestnut

Visit site
I have sold my boat due to increasing age (almost 90) but cannot envisage life without a boat to think about.

Any suggestions please for a sailing boat with a little cuddy, a comfortable seat, very stable and not very big. I thought about a Drascombe Lugger or similar, but at 21 feet, possibly too big for me. Is there anything suitable for me?

I am based near Oban and I can picture myself on a lovely sunny afternoon just pootling around a bay somewhere.

johnalison

Visit site
There is a nice little boat on our pontoon which I thought was a Hawk something or other but looking at their website I can only see the Hawk 20 which has more of a cabin. Maybe it was old design but it looks like what you want.

KevinV

Visit site
Your brief would be easier to fill with a little displacement motorboat - chug around a bit, do a spot of fishing, snooze in sun a bit. Much easier to handle than a sailing boat, so you'd likely get more use out of it, for longer (or I might just be dreaming of my own retirement).

This sort of thing...
Sea Farer 21ft sea/river boat | eBay

Supertramp

Visit site
Hawk 20 is a nice simple rewarding modern boat for sailing. Much depends on where you keep it and what sort of sailing you want. One word of caution - small, light boats can be a bit "tippy" and I agree with the previous post that a displacement hull makes more sense.

For me, when I have to downsize, I would be looking at Cornish Shrimper type 17/19/22 ft or similar. Or an old 22 - 24 ft motorsailor with an enclosed steering position.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
I have sold my boat due to increasing age (almost 90) but cannot envisage life without a boat to think about.
I think we need to know what boat you had before that you have now sold. And the reasons you sold it?

The best boat is the one you know, the one you understand, the one you know what to expect in different weather conditions, the one you know how to fix when it goes wrong, the one you TRUST.

dunedin

Visit site
Trickiest thing might be getting on and off a boat. Are you envisaging a mooring in Oban Bay (with added issues of launching / retieving tender, and getting between tender and boat) , or on a pontoon at Kerrera or one of the nearby marinas?
As above, a lot to be said for a small power boat, particularly if able to berth on a pontoon.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
One of these could be suitable, although on the wrong side of the country at least it's still in Scotland.

Perhaps a little smaller and with a trailer for getting it home.
I definitely recommend the Leisure 17, good sea worthy little boats and I had a lot of fun sailing one before we moved up to a bigger boat. It has somewhat more than a "cuddy" which the OP was talking about. Perfectly capable of short cruises not just day sailing.

Stemar

Visit site
If infirmity or just lack of agility is an issue, a boat on a mooring is not a good idea. There was a highly competent elderly sailor who took a tumble getting onto her boat in Portsmouth Harbour some years ago. Her body was found three days later.

To me, KevinV's suggestion or something similar looks like a good idea. Inexpensive to run with an inboard diesel, enough room for an occasional overnighter and tough enough to look after you if the weather turns nasty.

Chestnut

Visit site
Thank you all for you your advice and I do appreciate your thoughts and concern.
I have had a sailing boat since a teenager, and sold my last yacht some years ago to buy a motor cruiser. Lack of strength in my hands has led me to sell that, but I miss pottering about.
I do have a mooring.
I did consider a Hawk, but think it may be too sporty. But I will look at a Leisure17 and perhaps a Cornish shrimper and a Devon yawl.
That should keep me happy over the winter! Many thanks again.

Wansworth

Visit site
Thank you all for you your advice and I do appreciate your thoughts and concern.
I have had a sailing boat since a teenager, and sold my last yacht some years ago to buy a motor cruiser. Lack of strength in my hands has led me to sell that, but I miss pottering about.
I do have a mooring.
I did consider a Hawk, but think it may be too sporty. But I will look at a Leisure17 and perhaps a Cornish shrimper and a Devon yawl.
That should keep me happy over the winter! Many thanks again.
Thanks for replying!