Blue ensign dick'ed

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I do wish Mr Jumbled up that you would quote me in context not just take words and put them into your own phrases This is what I said, as in the whole sentence not cherry picked words

Sorry, but I just can't agree that non-members of yacht clubs are "saddos with huge class war leftover chips on the shoulder and insufficient self confidence to apply for membership themselves". Have a nice sail.

Robin

Visit site
Sorry, but I just can't agree that non-members of yacht clubs are "saddos with huge class war leftover chips on the shoulder and insufficient self confidence to apply for membership themselves". Have a nice sail.

ONCE again not at all what I said which is The concept of 'snooty Yacht Clubs' is pretty much false in my view and largely invented by and put about by those saddos with huge class war leftover chips on the shoulder and insufficient self confidence to apply for membership themselves

Colvic Watson

Visit site
We joined the CA 2 years ago. Now we are retired our cruising is further afield and we have gained a modicum of experience and plenty of sea miles during the last 15 years-our total sailing-but not boating experience.

We have just recieved our defaced blue from the CA.

Have I done the right thing?

Worried of Gosport.

Yes you have! And I think I might get one off ebay, they look great.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
ONCE again not at all what I said which is The concept of 'snooty Yacht Clubs' is pretty much false in my view and largely invented by and put about by those saddos with huge class war leftover chips on the shoulder and insufficient self confidence to apply for membership themselves

I would not categorise non-members of yacht clubs as "saddos with huge class war leftover chips on the shoulder and insufficient self confidence to apply for membership". Perhaps I move in more relaxed social circles.

Robin

Visit site
I would not categorise non-members of yacht clubs as "saddos with huge class war leftover chips on the shoulder and insufficient self confidence to apply for membership". Perhaps I move in more relaxed social circles.

Again twisting my words. I really don't care if people do or don't want to join a YC. But those who claim they don't do so because YCs are snooty, quite frankly do not know what they are talking about at all, only what the shoulder chip is apparently shouting in their ear, hearing their own confused thoughts like they are on a tape loop.

Ready About, Lee Oh!

AuntyRinum

Visit site
Y
I take an interest, but I don't particularly care.

We've had a couple of contributions about those who aren't members of non-undefaced-red-ensign yacht clubs which show a certain impatience with the lower orders:

There is not, as far as I know, any tradition of a Scottish blue ensign, so I'll stick to my Scottish red one, thanks. Most chandlers seem to keep undefaced blue ones in stock (motorboaters like to match their fenders, I think) and I have seen several sold with never a requst for sight of the warrant.
Not impatience with " lower orders" as you call them; impatience with people like you for reasons that you are incapable of understanding because your interest in boating only extends as far as chandleries and boats. That's OK, but your attitude is just inverted snobbery.
I've never seen or heard of a chandler selling blue ensigns but, if as you say you've seen several sold, you either work in a dodgy chandlery or hang around in them too much. Get out on the water and get a life.

Robin

Visit site
Y
Not impatience with " lower orders" as you call them; impatience with people like you for reasons that you are incapable of understanding because your interest in boating only extends as far as chandleries and boats. That's OK, but your attitude is just inverted snobbery.
I've never seen or heard of a chandler selling blue ensigns but, if as you say you've seen several sold, you either work in a dodgy chandlery or hang around in them too much. Get out on the water and get a life.

Defaced blue/red YC ensigns are ONLY available from the Yacht Clubs themselves surely, never in a chandlery or fleabay where the lower orders shop:encouragement:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Not impatience with " lower orders" as you call them; impatience with people like you for reasons that you are incapable of understanding because your interest in boating only extends as far as chandleries and boats.

And sailing. That's probably why I don't join a club - I'd much rather use the time afloat than in a bar talking about sailing, NTTAWWT.

That's OK, but your attitude is just inverted snobbery.

What is my attitude? I've been told I have so many contradictory attitudes that, in all this excitement, I've kinda forgotten myself. So the question you need to ask yourself is "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya ...

Oh dear. I seem to have got carried away. Back to the jousting.

http://www.duncanyacht.co.uk/showpartnumber.asp?PartNumberID=302705

http://www.force4.co.uk/force-4-blue-ensign-sewn-m.html#.VVt96VQViko

Have a lovely day.

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Defaced blue/red YC ensigns are ONLY available from the Yacht Clubs themselves surely, never in a chandlery or fleabay where the lower orders shop:encouragement:

Most mail order flagmakers will do defaced ensigns. I have no idea if they ask for sight of a warrant before selling one. I'd be surprised, because it's only flying one wrongly which is an offence, not owning one. Plain blue are quite common in chandleries.

viago

Visit site
I hope so :D

I have heard that the coolest flag amongst the group who care about these things is a defaced red. I intend to get a large red from eBay and draw/print an obscure defacement on it, whenever anyone asks what it signifies I shall reply that I can't tell them as it's one of those need-to-know things. Should drive them mad. Any suggestions for the defacement?

an upside down image of the queen snogging obama should do nicely.

viago

Visit site

i resemble that remark, comrade.

viago

Visit site
Was intrigued yesterday, looking to leave Blagdons boatyard at Plymouth, to see the 21,500 tons bulk of HMS Ocean - Britain's biggest warship - sliding past heading upriver, with four tugs and a Pilots' launch in attendence, and a big Police boat rushing about ahead like a yellow/black collie dog.

ocean.jpg

She'd just commenced her swing to starboard to round the Rubble Bank when a yacht darted out across her bows, between the Police boat and Ocean's bows. The 'Five blasts' on her horn seemed to awaken Plymouth as far as Plympton....

rubble.jpg

And I swear I could hear Commanding Officer Captain Timothy Henry RN's own blast turn the Hamoaze air blue!

The little yacht was, of course, wearing a blue defaced ensign.

nice view of the wet wok.

oldbilbo

Visit site
I always laugh when someone mentions the Royal Cork - a ridiculous name for a club in a republic.

Quite a few of us have been guests of that famous and venerable club - it's hospitality is legend. It refers to itself as 'the oldest yacht club in the world' and has a significant and intriguing history..... http://www.royalcork.com/club-history/

CLUB HISTORY

(by Dermot Burns – Royal Cork Yacht Club Archivist)

Sometime in the early 1600s, the idea of sailing for private pleasure started to take root in the Netherlands. Later that century, during the Cromwellian years, King Charles II of England was in exile in the Netherlands and while there he became aware of this new and exciting pastime.

In 1660 after his restoration to the English crown and return from exile, Charles was presented with a yacht called Mary by the Dutch, which he sailed enthusiastically on the Thames. Soon several of his courtiers followed his example and we feel pretty certain that one of them was Murrough O’Brien, the 6th Lord Inchiquin (Murrough of the Burnings). We know that not only had he attended the court of King Charles from 1660 to 1662, but also that he had been created the 1st Earl of Inchiquin by Charles in 1664.

We also know that private sailing started to become popular in Cork Harbour shortly after his return, quite possibly because of his direct encouragement. In any case, by 1720, interest in the sport had progressed so much that his great-grandson, the 26 year old William O’Brien, the 9th Lord Inchiquin, and five of his friends got together to formalise their activities and in so doing established ” The Water Club of the Harbour of Cork “. This club is known today as the Royal Cork Yacht Club and it is the oldest yacht club in the world.

THE OLD RULES

They based themselves in a castle on Hawlbowline Island, the lease of which Lord Inchiquin held. From that castle they regulated their sailing, membership and dining affairs according to a set of rules known to us today as “The Old Rules”.

In the early years the majority of club sailing activity took the form of sailing in various formations, copying the manoeuvres of the navies of the day. They communicated with each other by means of flying different flags and firing cannons. Each display and sequence of flags or guns meant something and every yacht owner carried a common signal book on board, which allowed them to communicate with each other. Paintings from 1738 in the possession of the club show club yachts carrying out such manoeuvres.

The senior committee member is known as 'The Admiral' and traditionally sets the tone of conviviality - here I speak from experience - with gentle banter and a hint of quirky mischief. Stuffy they're not! However, it would be a bold visitor who laughed at the club's name and traditions whilst a guest on their turf.

AuntyRinum

Visit site
I have also been a guest at the Royal Cork on several occasions. A marvellous club whose members go out of their way to make visitors welcome.

oldbilbo

Visit site
I seem to have 'started a hare' with this post, which was commenced with an air of cheek and mild banter.... fat chance on 'ere! I'm just glad it wasn't ME who scuttled out just ahead of HMS Ocean, her august Bridge Management Team and multitude of Very Senior Watchers in the 'Longroom'. I refer again to my closing remark.....

As for AuntyRinum's post #134, some years ago I helped bring a friend's Rival 34 into the river there, having caught a bout of 'dead engine/dead batteries' shortly after leaving Cardiff/Lavernock Spit at the start of the ebb on a bright and windless Good Friday afternoon. Traditional methods got us out of the Briz'l Channel, then a 'gross navigational error' and a new NW breeze saw us head off west towards Cobh, instead of north towards Oban.

We had no 'lecky nav gear, including 'no sounder' and, as the original intent was to take her to Oban 'dreckly', no chart of Cork Harbour and its winding approach-channel to the club, the Owenboy River. So we short-tacked on the morning rise up between the invisible mudbanks, by guesstimate and faded memory, until we could gybe around and come alongside their long 'V' pontoon. Once lines were secured, the owner/skipper - white from worry - got on with making some soup for us all, while I and other 'hired hand' ( an ex-RM and looked it ) wandered up to the clubhouse to ask permission to stop and to use their facilities..... The only sign of life was in the club bar, where a large gentleman on a large bar-stool 'held court' among half a dozen Irish accolytes. He introduced himself as the new 'Club Admiral', indicated they'd watched our progress with interest, and pointed to the darts scoreboard where they been running odds on where we'd go aground..... :rolleyes:

When we explained we'd a dead engine, no sounder, and no chart, he suggested we'd been in before and knew the river.... "Nope, not in the past 20 years!"

The next question was "What'll youse have, boys....." while he sent a runner to fetch our owner/skipper, an retired naval int officer, away from his soup-pot and his blue ensign. It took us three hard days to get out of there..... ;)

mcframe

Visit site
There is not, as far as I know, any tradition of a Scottish blue ensign, so I'll stick to my Scottish red one, thanks.

Go on, you know you want to.
Get a *white* Scottish ensign made up, then come sail in the Solent near West Cowes ;-)

Disclosure: Scots Red as house flag on port (sometimes a two-yard battle ensign); 3/4 yard un-defaced, but sewn Red on the backstay (sometimes a full yard for special occasions). 'fraid my spare masthead onna stick Red for dressing is only printed.

I'm not aware of any etiquette WRT size ratio of ensign to house flag ;-)

Robin

Visit site
Nope. JumbleDuck is quite correct: you can purchase all sorts of club ensigns and burgees direct from the manufacturers. See for example this website.

YOu also need a warrant to wear one, issued by the club only to registered vessels, otherwise it is illegal. YOU can buy US flags too and probably Russian, Iranian or Vatican. Don't make it legal, clever or likely!