Blue Angel (Canados 70s) Rebuild thread

BartW

www.amptec.be
some more from winter last year:

the welding from the hinge on the bottom of this transom door was coming loose,

I purchased one of those small electric welding machines, and did the repair myself,
kept the welding machine onboard for future use,

apparently I forgot to make a pic from after the welding, at least I can't find it,
it was not a nice looking welding, but concidering the position and the material, good enough , and for sure strong enough.

BartW

www.amptec.be
I know this is not everybody's cuppa,
but I upgraded the color spots for the mirror ball,
and I can assure that it was a big succes during summer 2020 :cool:

at the start of the season, I noticed that my bowthruster had much less power then normal,
then I remembered that when leaving the berth after a long time no use, the bow thruster give some cracking sounds, and created a huge cloud of mud in the water, twas clear that tunnel was full of mussels and growth, and during that manouvre the bow thruster propellor lost a few of its blades.
I asked my son to bring a replacement (Vetus) prop with him to the boat, (quite hard to get it shipped to Sardegna as we were not sure where to send it, our holiday / travel had started)

In marine the where my son came onboard I was able to park the boat "along" the quay, so that I was able to replace that prop, with my scuba gear.

this were the tools that I used, and that swmbo handed me one after one, while she stood on the quay alongside

and this is what was left over from the old prop, I realised while mooring in that marina, that I lost probably also the remaining blade (s?) from that prop.

BartW

www.amptec.be
Blimey B, I didn't realize how extensive has been the repair that you had to arrage for the crane.
Well, done, chapeaux!
Yes that was hard work, after reassembly we noticed that the winch didn’t fit in the crane bcs the new gearbox was slightly higher then the old. So we ( Peter) had to grind 3mm off from the mounting base for the gearbox ( that last pic shows that mounting plate before it was grinded)

AndieMac

Visit site
Well you always like a good challenge Bart, and you certainly managed that :)

As others have said, I really like the transom shower pole idea, especially given so much diving is done from BA, being able to rinse the gear with both hands free will be very useful.

The sunshade covers look fine, the concept is used a lot on bigger boats, and you really need that protection.

E should be an inspiration to all lady partners as to how to be involved in boat life......although when I just showed A the picture of your lovely wife painting on the varnish, she may have felt a little threatened;)

I just checked out the link on your page, are the apartments in Croatia the latest expansion in the W empire?

BartW

www.amptec.be
Well you always like a good challenge Bart, and you certainly managed that :)

As others have said, I really like the transom shower pole idea, especially given so much diving is done from BA, being able to rinse the gear with both hands free will be very useful.

The sunshade covers look fine, the concept is used a lot on bigger boats, and you really need that protection.

E should be an inspiration to all lady partners as to how to be involved in boat life......although when I just showed A the picture of your lovely wife painting on the varnish, she may have felt a little threatened;)

I just checked out the link on your page, are the apartments in Croatia the latest expansion in the W empire?

Hi C,
Although the boat is totally equipped for diving ( 2 x scuba compressors onboard as you know) the last few years we didn’t have diving guests.
So apart from the captain having to go recovering things that dropped from the boat, ;-) or inspecting the props..etc, rinsing dive gear is not particularly something for what we need the shower pole,
But it is intensively used for the after swim body rinsing !

That building in Cavtat, is sort of a family livetime project. Starting from buying the land, it took us nearly 20y to get where are now... but now we can finally say its finished!

AndieMac

Visit site
Hi C,
Although the boat is totally equipped for diving ( 2 x scuba compressors onboard as you know) the last few years we didn’t have diving guests.
So apart from the captain having to go recovering things that dropped from the boat, ;-) or inspecting the props..etc, rinsing dive gear is not particularly something for what we need the shower pole,

That building in Cavtat, is sort of a family livetime project. Starting from buying the land, it took us nearly 20y to get where are now... but now we can finally say its finished!

A good move getting into the Adriatic when you did, it’s becoming a popular location, and the apartments look fantastic. Also when BA gets handed over to the next custodian and you down size boats from the mighty mothership, you have an established seafront location.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Bart, your decks and callings look great. How old is your teak?

And no wonder your bowthruster wasn’t working as well as expected! Great pics, thanks for sharing them. Reminds us in lockdown central what boats look like(y)

BartW

www.amptec.be
Bart, your decks and callings look great. How old is your teak?

Hi John, long time no see ;-)

the teak on deck level has been replaced in winter 2018 (more info from post# 908 onwards )
12mm solid teak planks !
that was including the fixed part of the swim platform,

the hilo part was installed new back in 2012, but has been recaulked and sanded together with the new teak here above, (see pics of the recaulking)
unfortunately now it is hardly worn , and no more recaulking possible.
before re-caulking we used a router, that went down through this teak, in to the plywood.
originally this was approx 6mm teak on plywood, after recaulking and sanding, I guess only 3mm teak left.
it might look still ok- ish, but I know that its at the end of live; deep grains in the wood,

I must add that we clean the teak every spring with 2 part cleaner, semco, or whats locally available,
and than we apply semco sealer,
the Semco sealer keeps it looking nice until winter ! (imo a surprisingly long time)

I can confirm that i'm slighly obsessed with the natural wood, straw brown color of the teak, :cool:
I have alway's been sceptic about using products on teak, but the method above is "perfect" for me !!

Last edited:

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Hi John, long time no see ;-)

the teak on deck level has been replaced in winter 2018 (more info from post# 908 onwards )
12mm solid teak planks !
that was including the fixed part of the swim platform,

the hilo part was installed new back in 2012, but has been recaulked and sanded together with the new teak here above, (see pics of the recaulking)
unfortunately now it is hardly worn , and no more recaulking possible.
before re-caulking we used a router, that went down through this teak, in to the plywood.
originally this was approx 6mm teak on plywood, after recaulking and sanding, I guess only 3mm teak left.
it might look still ok- ish, but I know that its at the end of live; deep grains in the wood,

I must add that we clean the teak every spring with 2 part cleaner, semco, or whats locally available,
and than we apply semco sealer,
the Semco sealer keeps it looking nice until winter ! (imo a surprisingly long time)

I can confirm that i'm slighly obsessed with the natural wood, straw brown color of the teak, :cool:
I have alway's been sceptic about using products on teak, but the method above is "perfect" for me !!
Hi Bart, I guessed it was fairly new. The teak decks on our DeFever are now over 30 years old, probably the best part of 20mm when originally fitted. Unfortunately on our foredeck it’s now down to about 12mm, which is in itself not a problem.. But in those days they were screwed into the Grp deck, and now we have about 700 screws, some of which are just starting to poke out above the level of the deck. So I need to source slightly shorter screws and then replace them all and then fit new teak plugs. When I say I, I really mean anyone but me to do this back breaking work! Most of the wear I put down to using 2 part teak cleaner! And leaving the deck exposed to the elements. I’ve put the last bit right by fitting a canvas cover which now stays in place whenever we’re not off cruising. And my cleaning is now principally with washing powder, and just the occasional use of Wessex 2 part cleaner. I also plan to get some Borracol and give that a go.
I do love the look of teak, I’ve got some Semco on board but haven’t used it on the decks. I must give it a go this year.
Hopefully off to Scilly again this summer, only managed 3 days last year.
Good to have you back (y)

BartW

www.amptec.be
Hi Bart, I guessed it was fairly new. The teak decks on our DeFever are now over 30 years old, probably the best part of 20mm when originally fitted. Unfortunately on our foredeck it’s now down to about 12mm, which is in itself not a problem.. But in those days they were screwed into the Grp deck, and now we have about 700 screws, some of which are just starting to poke out above the level of the deck. So I need to source slightly shorter screws and then replace them all and then fit new teak plugs. When I say I, I really mean anyone but me to do this back breaking work! Most of the wear I put down to using 2 part teak cleaner! And leaving the deck exposed to the elements. I’ve put the last bit right by fitting a canvas cover which now stays in place whenever we’re not off cruising. And my cleaning is now principally with washing powder, and just the occasional use of Wessex 2 part cleaner. I also plan to get some Borracol and give that a go.
I do love the look of teak, I’ve got some Semco on board but haven’t used it on the decks. I must give it a go this year.

Waw 20mm teak on grp ! I forgot that your DeFever is grp, thats really good stuff !

Are these screws in the middle of the planks? Can’t you route again the caulking grooves, and place the screws (or a nail) on the edge inside the groove ? ( that is how they fixed the new teak on a 4mm plywood patterns on BA)
And just cover them with caulking?

2 part cleaner might wear the teak, but you have to see how some folks in sof or Italy do that; they sand off ( more grinding then sanding) 2mm of wood every 2-3 years, looks nice, but teak disappears very quick!
I don’t mind too much the wearing to obtain nice looking teak, as long as its not too excessive.

Yes you should test semco sealer, let me know yr experience with that in UK, contrary to the med, just one point of attention, for me the semco natural collor is too yellow ish, I prefer color less, while this is much less long lasting compared to the color version,
what I did was mixing Some natural color with color less, in order to finish the remaining canisters.
its allowed to mix different colors, so you can make your personal teak color :)

Scilly's !?!
very good! you remember we liked it there!
another way to have some med feeling ??

BartW

www.amptec.be
[QUOTE="longjohnsilver, post: 7564535, member: of 20mm when originally fitted. Unfortunately on our foredeck it’s now down to about 12mm, which is in itself not a problem.. But in those days they were screwed into the Grp deck, and now we have about 700 screws, some of which are just starting to poke out above the level of the deck. So I need to source slightly shorter screws and then replace them all and then fit new teak plugs. When I say I, I really mean anyone but me to do this back breaking work! Most of the wear I put down to using 2 part teak cleaner! And leaving the deck exposed to the elements. I’ve put the last bit right by fitting a canvas cover which now stays in place whenever we’re not off cruising. And my cleaning is now principally with washing powder, and just the occasional use of Wessex 2 part cleaner. I also plan to get some Borracol and give that a go.
[/QUOTE]

Do you still have your outlet in Altea ? When I was young, we went many times to the villa of my uncle in Calpe. Later on I helped him with the purchase of a Beneteau 630 in Conwy, and bring that to that small marina in Moirera,
Uncle past away, and villa in the hands of my cousin, so we lost interest.,

alt

Visit site
Hi C,

Hi B,
Once COVID is under control, you'll have no problem finding SCUBA guests on here :)

Regards to yourself and E.

BartW

www.amptec.be
Hi B,
Once COVID is under control, you'll have no problem finding SCUBA guests on here :)

Regards to yourself and E.

Thanks N, kind regards from E

haha, you're referring to the famous Forum Dive Cruises ;-)
although very nice memory's and a few livetime friends, I'm afraid It won't happen again,
at that time, any excuse to spend more time onboard was a good one, :)

curently I have enough family and friends who want to come with us,
moreover, I've become much more precautious regarding dive accidents that might happen to ppl from whom I don't know their dive skills,
and at my age, time onboard should be mainly relaxing :)

BartW

www.amptec.be
@ longjohnsilver,

nice to see that the grandchilds enjoy time onboard with granddad !?

our oldest (5yo) has just got her first swim license, ready for the summer, some of it onboard of BA