Blue Angel (Canados 70s) Rebuild thread

MapisM

Visit site
I have a decent idea where to expect the ugly surprises with wooden structures in a marine environment.
In this case, you might have a look at this full wooden Canados 70.
She certainly needs a lot of TLC, but on top being reflected by a low asking price, I would expect that there is also some room for negotiation.
And generally speaking, leaving aside all the other original differences due the fact that she's older than BartW's boat (not to mention the further improvements that he made!), I wouldn't be scared by the wooden hull, compared to the GRP hull+wooden superstructure construction.
In fact, I owned a 100% wooden boat for 17 years (not a Canados, but the principle remains valid), and 95% of my maintenance headaches came from the superstructure, not from the hull.

This particular boat used to be based in my marina, and is now on the hard in a yard nearby.
Should you be interested to check her out, I probably could arrange to let you see her with no need to involve any broker.
And obviously without paying any deposit, heaven forbid!

Bernd1972

Visit site
@MapisM: Thank you very much. I defintely will seriously consider your generous off or arranging a viewing on that one. Generally I might prefer the GRP-hulled 70S over it´s predecessor as the later GRP-hulled boat is much more timeless especially with her stern shape and the layout without the fourth cabin aft and the possiblity to have the VIP-CAbin with a double bed seems preferable, especially for the charter market.
There is one more reason why I am a little concerned about the wooden hull. I guess quality wood for occasionally keeping the hull alive is getting more and more difficult to optain. And most of the fellows who are capable of doing a quality job on a wooden hull are either in retirement or nowadays expensive as hell. But this old 70 looks really nice, Is it the one that did charters around Sardegna?

A few years ago a cllient of mine bought, against my advice, an old Ghibli in Greece and gave himself a painfully experience with it working himself together with a handful of turkish and indian dayworkers on the backyard of a greek boatyard to fix it up, with more or less questionable success. However, comparing the quality of built between a Ghibli and a CANADOS is a bit like comparing a Mercedes and a Lada. ;)

I defintely will consider your offer, but I might give myself some time to see if my lawyer can rescue anything, perhaps even the deal as it would be quite attractive. Perhaps I might try contacting the owners directly through the lawyer and try to explain what went wrong. Or it might turn out that the owner as told by the broker is false and the broker himself is a scammer. I´ll see. My lawyer allready requested the ownership infromations from the register. (He gave the register number and name of the vessel and sent a video that at least confirms the existence of a vessel with that reg. nr. and name.
I´m a stubborn child and hate to give up once I ventured into a project. ?
The 70S I was after has the less attractive layout compared to Bart´s one, with the dining area forward opposite the helm station. But that was, from my point of view, absolutely compensated by the bigger galley and the rebuilt Detroits. However, before considering a new attempt on buying a boat I will finish the refit on the boat I sold as I sold that service with the vessel (good deal for both sides). Big thing for a one-man-show with occasional helper and it will keep me busy into mid-august I guess. :rolleyes:

MapisM

Visit site
But this old 70 looks really nice, Is it the one that did charters around Sardegna?
I'm only aware of the usage made by her current owner in the last 6 or 7 years during which she was based in my marina, and that did not include charter.
I would think that the boat was also well maintained by her previous owner(s?), because at some point of her life she was fully repowered with MTU electronic engines - which must have been an eyewatering cost. But I don't know if she was also used for charter or not.

Bernd1972

Visit site
Sorry BartW... ?

@Bouba: Thank you for the weolcome and yes, I might tell the story of that boat (completely without vanity ?) with all of its exhausting stories around it. AS soon as I´m through with yard time which is supposed to start next week if things go similar tho what I optimistically planned...

BartW

www.amptec.be
No worry's Bernd,
this thread is a blog of everything we changed or improved on BA,
and probably usefull whenever we or one of my successors wants to sell the boat, (the best and most honest survey one can get !)
The last two years we didn't change major things, but still intend to report about the changings we did,

I wanted to revert you to my big boat search thread, but coincidentlt this came along aswell,
I'll post some more comments on that about your Q's

by the way, nice boat that you made there, pls post more details / pictures, especially from the building, we like that on here !

Last edited:

BartW

www.amptec.be
Sorry guy's false alarm,
I bring this up again for Vas,
he wants to see how they polished our shafts

We had a tough discussion with the yard regarding replacing the shaft seals,
Initially we didnd agree to place new seals, as I insisted on Tides Marine seals, which they didn't know, didn't want.

But in the end I’d got wat I want.
Refitting of the shafts and seals

vas

Visit site
ah, and I thought you prepared an update on work carried out on BA :)
I was worried that now I'd have to post as well (quite a few things actually but no time right now)

thanks Bart, I'll show it to my machinist. I notice you have plenty of space between gbox and stuffing box. Mine is a bit too tight, just enough to fit the PSS seals actually with something like 100-150mm spare...

cheers

V.

BartW

www.amptec.be
I must admid that the yard also insisted to install PSS,
most probably that would have been the better choice,
so far no probs with it, so lets hope for the best.

BartW

www.amptec.be

BartW

www.amptec.be
This is what the lady does every spring period, after soft sanding, give the gunwale capping an extra coat of Epiphanes varnish:

While I had to repair this teak grating step from the passerel

Another crew member does the 2 part teac cleaning and sealing

SB side = before P side= after 1 part cleaning

SB side= 2nd part cleaned, P side = after semco sealer (we uwe colorless)

here is a better vieuw of the final color:

Last edited:

BartW

www.amptec.be
As discussed in this tread, we would like to have a sun shade on the FB,
Hard Top for Blue Angel (Canados 70s)

mainly bcs of lack of time;
I went for the simple temporary solution,
4 x 50mm diam. SS poles, and a sheet of mesh strained between these poles

I found alum clamps similar to this to fix the poles,
Not the nicest things, but good enough for a quick and temporary solution

This was installed in spring 2020, and it worked well in our fairly short 2020 summer holiday,
While Cruising at 20kn it stay on, same with wind up to 30kn, but when expecting stronger wind, I’ll take it off,
At the end of the summer holiday’s we take it off anyway. (easy todo, with strap on each pole)

MapisM

Visit site
and this is the newly installed remove-able shower pole
Did I already tell you how much I love that? VERY cool indeed!!! (y)
BTW, where do you store the pole onboard? I'd like to take the opportunity to have a look at it in flesh!

BartW

www.amptec.be
I nearly forgot these, this was in 2019

During summer, the winch from the tender crane broke, (damaged gear wheel)
While the gear wheel broke, Luckily the tender went down in the water without doing any harm to anybody, and we could continue using it.
We could place the tender on the hi-lo platform during navigation.

I disassembled the gearbox from the winch, and after summer I started searching for the replacement parts.

[/url
]

[url=https://bass.smugmug.com/2018-Rebuild/i-NpRcPcH/A]

Via The gearbox manufacturer BONFIGLIOLI I found out that the parts were not available anymore bcs too old, But luckily at the BONFIGLIOLI dealer in Belgium t had a new version of the same gearbox available off the shelf:

With a few alum spacer rings, (machined at my co) the new gearbox fitted the tender winch

sorry for not making better pics of the complete winch

That same winter I refurbished our old hydraulic throttle and gear controls,
A bit complicated to get the controls disconnected from the helm, but from then on nothing else than cleaning the inside and replacing a few O-rings.

Forgot to make pics from the inside..
From my Montenegro Friend Ilko, I’ve got this box with the parts of a old hydraulic system like mine,
But so far, didn’t need any, after servicing, my 30yo system still works without a problem.

BartW

www.amptec.be
, where do you store the pole onboard? I'd like to take the opportunity to have a look at it in flesh!

its fixed with tube clips on the ceiling in the lazarette,
Its a product from Osculati, was on special order, I have art code if someone interested,

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
Blimey B, I didn't realize how extensive has been the repair that you had to arrage for the crane.
Well, done, chapeaux!