Blue Angel (Canados 70s) Rebuild thread

alt

Visit site
Hi B!

Loving this thread and following with every update.

Fair play for taking on such challanges, but no doubt, BA will be even more fantastic when complete.

Keep this thread updated as much as possible, please... the UK & IRL are taking a major weather hit at the moment, so not much else to keep us entertained :)

BartW

www.amptec.be
Here is an udate from the works that have been going on the last few weeks,
Remember they started preparing the new teak floor

Template for fix platform

BartW

www.amptec.be
Finishing and installing premade Teak Panels for the deck

This is interesting; cutout from the winch,
From top to bottom:
12mm new teak, with 6mm deep black caulking groove
0.5mm epoxy glue
4mm ply underpannel
1mm glue
4..5mm old teak (which they didn’d remove unfortunately)

BartW

www.amptec.be
We had a tough discussion with the yard regarding replacing the shaft seals,
Initially we didnd agree to place new seals, as I insisted on Tides Marine seals, which they didn't know, didn't want.

But in the end I’d got wat I want.
Refitting of the shafts and seals

New shower on the platform, small locker door still missing,

BartW

www.amptec.be
New grp cockpit ceiling

Refitting fairleads and deck lights

First coat of epifanes varnish

After 6 or 7 coats:

Polishing

And my neighbor boat is also making progress

plan was to be back in the water early april, but as could be expected, works take a bit longer,
now I expect beginning or mid may.

Last edited:

Mr Googler

Visit site
Epic Bart. Such an amazing job and good on you for investing your time (and no doubt a lot of money!) into such a fantastic “ship”

BartW

www.amptec.be
P.S. What's the bell in the cockpit for?

this was a present from my diving friends; On dive safari boats in Egypt, they ring the bell when dinner is ready, or for announcing the next dive,
I have to admid that since a few years, the clapper is covered with foam :)

its the last decorative bit in brass collor onboard,
should get it chrome plated one day :)

MrB

Visit site
That's a fantastic effort Bart, i applaud you. She looks fantastic. :applause::encouragement:

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Great job Bart. Blue Angel is really turning into a labour of love. I for one would appreciate some more photos when she is all back together again in the water so we can admire her in her full glory!

MapisM

Visit site
Impressive refitting indeed, B.
BA already was head and shoulder above any other C70s on the planet even before that, but now she will be even more unique, with those beautiful curved deck planks.
Can't wait to see her in flesh this summer! :encouragement:

Just a few comments/questions/curiosities:

1) Any particular reason why they didn't remove the old teak? Fear to make worse damages, maybe?
Not that I see it as a big deal, actually. BA is already a heavy boat anyway, I'm sure she will take a somewhat heavier deck in her stride!

2) Why did they cut the caulkings and sand the pre-made deck panels before putting them in place and finish the job?
This is going to require an additional sanding I guess, at least in some places.
Again, no big deal, anyway. With 12mm you should be good to go for another quarter of a century...

3) Generally speaking, the attention to detail is even better than I would have expected from a yard which isn't focused on high level pleasure boats, for what I can see from your pics.
I could spot just a couple of things which could have been better: one is not having made a border around the deck fillers, but this is very trivial.
The second is actually funny, because it is obvious that they know exactly how it should be done correctly, so someone must have cut those two small bits on a friday afternoon, I reckon.
I'm talking of two of the four corners of the border around the crew cabin porthole, and I won't say more for the moment.
Let's see who will "spot the mistake" first... :rolleyes:

4) Ref. the shaft seals, were they suggesting to stick to stuffing box, or did they suggest any other type of mechanical seals? And if they did, what was their proposal?
I'm asking because I half remember that they deal also with the maintenance of patrol boats, in which case they probably know Fluiten better than Tides.
And in spite of the fact that the first are much less known than the latter in pleasure boats, they are actually excellent and arguably superior, in most ways - albeit awfully expensive. Don't ask me how I know...

5) The stern fairleads look amazingly solid, I bet that you will not have troubles with them anymore, no matter how strongly the lines might pull sideways! :encouragement:

6) Ref. the bell, are you sure that the boat didn't have one also before your friends' gift?
Before reading your reply, I was going to explain to petem that it used to be one of the mandatory safety equipments in the pre-CE days, for RINA-approved boats with a registered LOA above 16m (same as the SSB radio, which in fact you had on BA)...
I had the same on the old lady, and while it's as useful as a chocolate teapot in practice, I loved its look, particularly on "character boats", as I believe you call them... :)

alt

Visit site
Hi B.

WOW, just WOW! So much work and craftsmanship evident. You guys will be very proud owners when it's all complete.

Wishing you and E a happy 2018 season :)

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
BA already was head and shoulder above any other C70s on the planet even before that, but now she will be even more unique, with those beautiful curved deck planks.

1) Any particular reason why they didn't remove the old teak? Fear to make worse damages, maybe?
Not that I see it as a big deal, actually. BA is already a heavy boat anyway, I'm sure she will take a somewhat heavier deck in her stride!

2) Why did they cut the caulkings and sand the pre-made deck panels before putting them in place and finish the job?
This is going to require an additional sanding I guess, at least in some places.
Again, no big deal, anyway. With 12mm you should be good to go for another quarter of a century...

3) Generally speaking, the attention to detail is even better than I would have expected from a yard which isn't focused on high level pleasure boats, for what I can see from your pics.
I could spot just a couple of things which could have been better: one is not having made a border around the deck fillers, but this is very trivial.
The second is actually funny, because it is obvious that they know exactly how it should be done correctly, so someone must have cut those two small bits on a friday afternoon, I reckon.
I'm talking of two of the four corners of the border around the crew cabin porthole, and I won't say more for the moment.

4) Ref. the shaft seals, were they suggesting to stick to stuffing box, or did they suggest any other type of mechanical seals? And if they did, what was their proposal?
I'm asking because I half remember that they deal also with the maintenance of patrol boats, in which case they probably know Fluiten better than Tides.
And in spite of the fact that the first are much less known than the latter in pleasure boats, they are actually excellent and arguably superior, in most ways - albeit awfully expensive. Don't ask me how I know...

5) The stern fairleads look amazingly solid, I bet that you will not have troubles with them anymore, no matter how strongly the lines might pull sideways! :encouragement:

6) Ref. the bell, are you sure that the boat didn't have one also before your friends' gift?
Before reading your reply, I was going to explain to petem that it used to be one of the mandatory safety equipments in the pre-CE days, for RINA-approved boats with a registered LOA above 16m (same as the SSB radio, which in fact you had on BA)...
I had the same on the old lady, and while it's as useful as a chocolate teapot in practice, I loved its look, particularly on "character boats", as I believe you call them... :)

Port side corners are correct. Starboard corners are wrong?!

BartW

www.amptec.be

Thank you all for the kind words,
They are indeed good traditional craftsmen, but unfortunately they miss a bit of the finishing touch for working on a luxury boat (or is it me who became too much ocd after spending too much time here on the forum :D )

Re questions from MapisM

1) I was promised from the very beginning that old teak was going to be sanded away, but leaving some teak in erea’s where the surface was not perfectly level or sloping in the wrong direction. I was very disappointed when I realised that they just sanded it level, and placed the new panels right on top of the old teak, and missing the opportunity to repair a old deck sloping problem…which I showed them clearly during a previous visit.
That sloping problem is partially cured with extra sanding, and a extra deck drain, (I’ll explain later with other pics)
The reason why they left the old teac is just because its less work,
and taking away the old teak might have created additional problems, more risc for leaks (?) they said...
The structure underneath was checked and approved ok appart from the side steps, and a zone near the anker winch which have been repaired.

So additionally to the ply under-panel, there is the extra weight of 4mm old teak (roughly 300kg extra weight) on the deck, which I don’t like.

2) The teak caulking grooves were made on each individual plank, with a machine, before the planks were placed in position,
And the premade panels were caulked and sanded before these were placed in postion on the deck,
all for easier and more efficient working.
There is indeed some extra sanding required on the seems, and bad caulking spots, but I think this is not a big deal.

3) Tbh the teak workers were good craftsmen, but lacking an eye for detail, and not enough experience on luxury pleasure boats
I guess you are talking about the wood grain, not all the same direction ?
like that I can give you plenty of details, ..

Actually the first version of the crew cabin porthole teak border, they just started to make them square, I was able to asc for round, right in time, at the same moment I asked for the honeycomp center plank on the bow, they intended to make all that straight, but were delighted to give it this signature.
When they made the cockpit panels, I was not there, and there they made some silly choices….

Also in general, they use a lot of “Sikaflex”
too much to my liking,
In the original construction was almost no sicaflex for covering seems and small gaps….

Fe the new cockpit ceiling panels;
originally they were ply, with seems of exactly 1mm everywhere , CANADOS factory made.
I refused to accept Sikaflex in the seems of the new grp ceiling panels, they had to redo quite some work on these, haven’t seen the final result yet…

Another ‘silly" mistake: the vertical beams / side pillars near the stern gates are not all the same width….

4) For the shaft seals they wanted to use PSS.
I was determined on Tides (also after talking in the past with Ilko, etc.) . I knew these would be good,
With the PSS one can’t have spare seals around the shaft, and the rubber needs to be replaced every 5y says the manual…

5) The fitting of the stern fairleads should be good (apart from the Sikaflex filling , 2..3mm gaps between fairlead frame and GRP gunwale in some places…)

This one is interesting;
these new fairleads will replace 2 smaller ones on the sides, (approx. near the helm station ) to be used in cases where the bowlines in a med mooring or not enough forward…. You will understand !

That extra foldable cleats (one in the pic above) are intended to be placed on the hi lo plaform for tie-ing the tender occasionally

6) BA didn’t have a bell when I became the owner, but I saw a sister ship slightly older, that had a very nice big Chrome bell on the bow on a frame right near the crew cabin porthole !
BA did have a SSB and a silly sounding Marco Horn (Rina approved) thought ;-)

Last edited: