Blue Angel (Canados 70s) Rebuild thread

BartW

www.amptec.be
Re the bulwark frame in the photo below

Is this just a temporary securing arrangement re the screws that are holding it in place?
Was it also glued afterwards (or otherwise 'properly' attached)?

I can't answer the question,
these were pics that were send to me a week ago, right before X-mas closing of the yard,
I'll go there in january and ofcause get more pics and more detailed info

and I'll make sure that I will see the finished construction before the GRP panels will be placed.

when I was there some weeks ago, they assembled / disassembled a consruction several times, to make it all fit,
I don't worry much about the "structural" strength, the assembly will be strong.
seeing their work in the flesh, It appears they know what they are doing

BartW

www.amptec.be
Bart, it certainly sounds like your hull topsides above the chine are balsa cored.
Hence I would suggest that you invest in a moisture meter and take measurements in various places (perhaps in a grid pattern?) on your topsides when the boat is next hauled out for maintenance (or is she ashore now)?
The odds are that you will find pockets with locally high readings where rainwater has seeped in, from whatever sources.
I have had a Tramex Skipper moisture meter for the past 20 years, and it is brilliant.

Boat is now in a shed.
In the few occasions when we drilled holes through the cored hull, we noticed that coring material, and the balsa slats were bone dry.
So far, I don't wory much if there might be pockets with locally high moisture readings,
because AFAIK they will be very local, and there is very little risc that this would cause any problems...

BartW

www.amptec.be
here are some pictures from the works sinds december 2017.
pics speak for them selves

this old wreck next to Blue Angel
is going to be rebuild ???
new frames in SS

cont.

BartW

www.amptec.be

that capstan sits there 26 years,
we couldn't disassemble it, so now its a totall loss
on SB side was a fairly new (2y old) that is intact ofcause.

the ceiling panels in the cockpit were damaged after the engine liftout in 2015,
the yard is making new, all GRP

about 40m2 of 12mm teak (for deck level only)

the small old part of the platform needs new teak

the hi-lo platform is 5 years old,
teak is still ok after a session of re-routing the grooves , recaulking and sanding.
the routing was DIY job for me and Alfonso

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Bart, maybe I missed it but just out of interest which yard is doing this work? I would be surprised if there are the skills to do this work in Montenegro or Croatia

BartW

www.amptec.be
Bart, maybe I missed it but just out of interest which yard is doing this work? I would be surprised if there are the skills to do this work in Montenegro or Croatia

Cantieri Navale Cilentani,
in Santa Maria di Castellabate, 120km south of Naples,
used to be CN Ippolite,
about 25 own workers, (very skilled)
have been building steel and wooden fishing and tourists boats in the past.
the yard has a 120 Ton travel lift !

this is the beginning of the "poor" south of Italy,
the region is famous for Buffalo farms / mozzarella)
and artichock plantation

BartW

www.amptec.be
How did you find this yard if you dont mind me asking?

Original plan was to do the work in a yard in Monopoly, on a recommandation from poster Hardmy,
2 yards from that region came onboard,
but when they saw the boat in june, they didn't want to take that challenge...

my good old friend alfonso (previous captain on BA) is living in Maiori close to Amalfi and Salerno,
after our summer holliday's in that region, (capri, positano, sorrento, Iscia, Naples, ...)
boat was in harbour of Salerno, and Alfonso invited several yards from Naples region and asked quotations,
none of them was convincing / appealing, ...
advice from one of alf's friends pointed us to CN d Cilentano.
so far I feel very fortunate with them !

so the short answer: from Alfonso.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Massive respect to you for undertaking this work Bart. Not only does it keep a classic vessel alive but also helps maintain good old fashioned traditional boat building skills.

I hate to think what it must be costing (I don't want to know) but no doubt it's worth it!

D

Deleted User YDKXO

so the short answer: from Alfonso.
You are indeed fortunate to know the previous captain and for him to be still interested in being involved with the boat because this looks like highly skilled work

BartW

www.amptec.be
You are indeed fortunate to know the previous captain and for him to be still interested in being involved with the boat because this looks like highly skilled work

we have become good friends,
last summer he arranged many of my first-time berth bookings, in hot spots sa Maiori, Amalfi, Sorrento, Iscia, Naples,
(while he was working as a captain on a ship in Toscane)
this winter I pay him for supervising the works, do some small jobs, and haggle on prices the Italian way ;-)
a win win situation for both of us.

MapisM

Visit site
simultaniously theu replaced some seacocks and or valves
2018021712065775-2018-01-09-PHOTO-00000352-XL.jpg

2018021712072206-2018-01-09-PHOTO-00000353-XL.jpg
Wow, seacocks with removable slotted scoops, that's a refinement unheard of, in more modern boats!
It's almost a pity to have replaced them... Are you going to keep the same installation, and if so where did you source those bits?
I believe that neither Maestrini nor Guidi build that stuff anymore.

this is for Mapism
2018021721114852-IMG_5217-XL.jpg
Yup, thanks, that's pretty much the kind of fixed wings I had in mind. A rather popular installation on fishing trawlers!
Your pic is actually good also for a "spot the boat", though - i.e. the one in the background.
Falcon, by chance?

MapisM

Visit site
Sod the work involvement, you should have tried Alfonso's reef spaghetti, to understand why B became good friend with him! :cool: :p

Portofino

Visit site
Wow, seacocks with removable slotted scoops, that's a refinement unheard of, in more modern boats!
It's almost a pity to have replaced them... Are you going to keep the same installation, and if so where did you source those bits?
I believe that neither Maestrini nor Guidi build that stuff anymore.

Are you sure P?

I had mine replaced like for like 2015 .
Took the yard ( fixed price quote signed before - thank heavens ) , alomost a week .
About 2 days grinding , then jacking the seacocks up and out from the inside after weakening them with a mini angle grinder .
Then re setting the new and making good ,then new “ black pipes “ inside .

Anyhow, interesting thread .
I think there’s plenty of wood skills the further east you go .
I know a guy in Turkey who builds only 1 50 ftr wooden boat per year during the winter , then has the summer off to skipper tourists on one he made earlier in charter .
Apparently that business modal works over there , plenty of skilled guys to pick up .

BartW

www.amptec.be
Sod the work involvement, you should have tried Alfonso's reef spaghetti, to understand why B became good friend with him! :cool: :p

you hit the nail :)
at the moment we can't stay at the boat overnight, so when I go there, we alway's enjoy all the different local flavours of Italian food,
that's part of the enjoyment of these rebuildings taking place in Italy ;)

the spot the boat; it is indeed a Falcon, and a very nice one !

MrB

Visit site
How long will the project take if it all goes to plan Bart? Looks like a huge job.