Blue Angel (Canados 70s) Rebuild thread

Nautical

www.outerreefyachts.com
I think I recognise that particular deck :) I hope (and I'm sure it is the case) that Mr P and family are having a great time with the ORY - give him my best wishes.

A Williams could never, in my personal book, be a great set up. Mind you, this was seen yesterday in antibes...
IMG_4339.jpg

Hey J, what's that trawlery thing beside you port side, looks a bit like an old Grand Alaskan maybe?

Nautical

www.outerreefyachts.com
In true hijack fashion (sorry Bart).

J, calling on your encyclopedic knowledge of these matters, whats the RIB here?, I forgot to ask the guys when they installed it, looks quite OK but then I am no RIB expert so it could be pants ......

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Nautical I don't recognise that RIB but would like to know the brand if you could find out. It isn't any of the usual suspects, of which my list has got longer while researching RIBs.

The one in MYAG's pic is a Northstar 405. Nice enough but useless because 40hp max rating. MYAG kindly send me an enlarged image to help identify

Nautical

www.outerreefyachts.com
Nautical I don't recognise that RIB but would like to know the brand if you could find out. It isn't any of the usual suspects, of which my list has got longer while researching RIBs.

The one in MYAG's pic is a Northstar 405. Nice enough but useless because 40hp max rating. MYAG kindly send me an enlarged image to help identify

Ok J will try find out, sounds stupid but I didn't think to ask , it was a retro fit jobbie by the owner's broker, will revert .....

MapisM

Visit site
A Williams could never, in my personal book, be a great set up.
If you're saying this because of the propulsion system, actually I also prefer the O/B.
IIRC, I even told you so some years ago, before you bought that 2 stroke thingie which drove you nuts... :D
But here the choice was mainly safety-driven, 'cause the owner plans to have frequently children onboard.
Yeah, I know, there are pros and cons also in this respect: you don't want to mess around a waterjet with long hairs for instance, but overall an exposed prop remains more dangerous...

MapisM

Visit site
did he get the diesel version in the end?
Nope, it's the 385 petrol.
He did consider the 445 diesel. It would have been a tighter fit, but still manageable. I think the main reason why he didn't go for it is that it weighs almost 800kg (more than double of the 385!), and he wanted to keep the flexibility of using the crane at its full extension.

jfm

Visit site
Hey J, what's that trawlery thing beside you port side, looks a bit like an old Grand Alaskan maybe?
It's a Hatteras, T. I think it is badged as 72. It is a liveaboard and never moves. I mean really never, in 7 or 8 years I have been in antibes. In that pic my boat is pointing west, so the Hatteras is to my south, and forms a fantastic sunshade for my gelcoat. I wish he would upgrade to an 80 in fact... :)

Thanks for the Arimar Rib info. I will look into that

jfm

Visit site
If you're saying this because of the propulsion system, actually I also prefer the O/B.
IIRC, I even told you so some years ago, before you bought that 2 stroke thingie which drove you nuts... :D
But here the choice was mainly safety-driven, 'cause the owner plans to have frequently children onboard.
Yeah, I know, there are pros and cons also in this respect: you don't want to mess around a waterjet with long hairs for instance, but overall an exposed prop remains more dangerous...

Fair enough. Each to their own - these are personal choices and there is no right or wrong.

Actually I'm going to 50% change my tune anyway becuase I will have a jet ski on next boat. So I'll have to eat my words (which you do a lot when you run boats over several years eh?!). Decision is due to pressure from my sons, and I am going to concede defeat. I am working on a design to carry a jet ski AND a Laser, but I'll put that up on another design thread so as not to hijack this one. I mean a proper jetski for 2-3 people, not one of those tiny ones

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Thanks for the Arimar Rib info. I will look into that
I bought an Arimar RIB for my boat back in 2010 in a bit of a rush. Buy in haste, repent at leisure as they say. It's not the highest quality thing I've ever seen. The steering console on my RIB is fixed with self tappers and we have to be careful how we lean against it and the outer skin of the hull cracked at the points at which it was sitting on the supports on the bathing platform and that was despite the fact that I'd taken care to cover those supports in soft foam. I wouldn't buy another one

Nautical

www.outerreefyachts.com
Thanks mike. I already rejected it on suspicions of poor build but you have confirmed it. Thanks

Well good job its not on our options list then ! :) , in fact we have taken tenders off the options list due to the sheer number available and everyone wanting something different for various uses, reasons and personal choice.

T

BartW

www.amptec.be
I will have a jet ski on next boat. Decision is due to pressure from my sons, and I am going to concede defeat. I am working on a design to carry a jet ski AND a Laser, I mean a proper jetski for 2-3 people, not one of those tiny ones

bigger then this one I suppose ;

i-6FzjSqk-L.jpg

i-RGL3p48-L.jpg

I hope my sons don't see this post,
might give them some idea's and personally I'm not so jetski minded,
unless you can have two of them,

actually I'm wondering why you don't see these small jetski's anymore, on whitch you have to stand up right ?
I've always' liked these, (never drove one) but there must be something wrong with them, as you don't see these so often.
I gues very fatigueing
anybody on here who knows ?

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
actually I'm wondering why you don't see these small jetski's anymore, on whitch you have to stand up right ?
I've always' liked these, (never drove one) but there must be something wrong with them, as you don't see these so often.
I gues very fatigueing
LOL, look what I used to carry around 10 years ago, before getting rid of it while doing some upgrades (larger platform, hydraulic passerelle). Frankly, I must say that the wow effect disappears very rapidly.
They probably become very entertaining if you are willing to go through the rather steep learning curve required to do wave tricks, jumps, etc. Otherwise, it just gets a bit boring after a while.
That said, bigger jet skis as the one in your pic are even more boring imho, though I can see why younger folks might be attracted.
Incidentally, in IT it's now mandatory a boat license (equivalent to the one required for boats) to drive them, therefore they are not so popular anymore among young boys...
Yamaha.jpg

scubaman

Visit site
I gues very fatigueing

As MapisM says it takes a bit of practicing to be able to drive one standing up, let alone do anything fun. They are also quite light, so any kind of seas add to the challenge. And yes, driving one for a longer run is tiring as you are standing in an uncomfortable position to maintain balance.

Good fun to be had on those, though. My brother, a mate of ours and I once rented one when we were kids. It was for 24 hours so we made the most of it by finishing at 1 am and continuing again at 5 am. I'm not sure that the neighboring summer residents shared our joy, these things make the sound of a giant mosquito :eek: :D

Last edited:

BartW

www.amptec.be

Wauw MapisM, do you have more of these unrevealed secrets from your wild years :D

it just gets a bit boring after a while.
That said, bigger jet skis as the one in your pic are even more boring imho, though I can see why younger folks might be attracted.

that's one of the reasons why I don't like them,
especially for the people standing on the side looking at it
very "un" social machines imho

the boat drivers license has become obligatory almost everywhere I believe,
NL, B, HR, FR, ...
but quite easy to obtain here in B.

alt

Visit site
Bart, the guys above me have said it nicely, but just to add/confirm....

I used to have a Kawasaki JS550 stand-up.

They're GREAT fun while you're learning how to ride them. Then you get used to them, and unless you're constantly doing tricks etc. they quickly become boring and tiring (they are physically demanding)

They cannot be used for any other reason other than 'messing about', which you quickly become tired of.

That said, a couple of weeks ago a friend offered me a go of theirs, and I had a great time messing about, but I wouldn't own one again

Also, as said above, the 'big' PWC's I also find boring. The best 'best of both worlds' I found was the TWO seater Honda Turbo (4stroke) PWC... fast as f00k, fun to play with, but also with a touch of practicality (the 3 seaters, while still fast, were boring because of hull design)

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
Arimar are built to a price, altough there bigger models are usually much better constructed to the smaller ones.

I had 2 Arimars a wood rib floor of 2.10 meters, and the 220 Flash I still have from 1999.
Both have been nearly trouble free. I did no repairs to the 210 which I had for 5 years, and the 220 needed a repair in the cones 2 years ago, and on the protection rubber last year. Considering both where PVC made it is ok.

Do I have hairline cracks? Yes some on hull but nothing so bad as to affect structure, considering I go out and jump with the rib in 6 - 7 foot waves. Lol even a Sunseeker (or put a name here) would have them if you do the same.

As for the console with tappets Mike says, I have seen this done in many more renowned ribs, especially those of smaller sizes (Zodiac, Lomac i.e. one of my preferred, and even a top rated Nouvrania and Novamarine). So this is a mistake done a lot on small ribs apparently, and I would not crucify Arimar for it, even though it is not good.

BartW

www.amptec.be
First of all apologies for bringing up this old thread,
But we have started again with some smaller rebuild jobs this winter,
And in order to have a global report for future use f.e. when selling the boat, it’s nice to have it all in one story.
Therefore I will continue to post in this thread.

Since last summer season, I have quite a few pictures to post from finished works, will do that later,
But first a question from works that take place now.

We are replacing and or changing some wall and floor panels in the crew bathroom,
The old panels look used and damaged, they were made from marine ply with Formica glued on top.
My friend experienced carpenter (but not on boats) wants to use green MDF (water proof hard / fibre board) whith a high quality lacker, or a teak layer on them.
It’s the compressed wood fibres product that’s often used to make custom kitchen furniture, don’t know the right English name.

I’ve never seen using MDF in boats, so I’m not sure if this is a good idea,
I’m afraid that this product is not stable enough and not water resistant enough on long term.

Here is a picture of the old situation, the complete toilet corner had been taken out, (no picture yet from that) and all panels will be made new.
The geometry is slightly changed, so that the toilet is more backwards, so that your feet can be on the step when sitting on the throne.
The step below the toilet will have 5mm teak on top, just like in all other cabins.

the left side with the sink the and locker is OK, and will remain as it is.

i-L772FX2-L.jpg

i-KJ6vJJ6-L.jpg

The floor part (shower sink) will be remade completely and then treated with a GRP or epoxy product, specific for that purpose.
Then there will be a new teac grill / floor plate

i-KhgwRb7-L.jpg

Q: can we use MDF, or better Marine ply only for the wall panels ?

Last edited: