Blue Angel (Canados 70s) Rebuild thread

MapisM

Visit site
Here you see her working with the orbital sander, in a pleasant SOF winter sun, (10…13°C)
P1140365.jpg

A week of hard work down south, but nevertheless great fun to do.
Blimey B, I just showed your update to S., and I must admit that you and E. are making us feel ashamed. Outstanding job, congrats.
I don't dare thinking of how much we spent during the years for the yearly revarnishing, and sometimes with worse results...
...though unfortunately the gunwhale caps (as well as many other parts) on my boat are made in iroko rather than teak.
And according to wood experts, iroko is prone to cracking if left unvarnished... :(
Oh, well, I suppose that sooner or later we will try to unvarnish it all anyway, and see what happens!

Pinnacle

Visit site
Bart

S says if you think E needs a bit more practice, she is more than welcome to come and do the ones on our boat! ;););)

PS Can't promise sun or 10 to 13 degC though. :rolleyes:

BartW

www.amptec.be
Bart

S says if you think E needs a bit more practice, she is more than welcome to come and do the ones on our boat! ;););)

PS Can't promise sun or 10 to 13 degC though. :rolleyes:

more practice you asc ?
she kneeds a physiotherapist to mend her back, (after 4 day's bending forward)
and a doctor to get rid of that flu after coming back in this chilly climate over here ;)

Last edited:

Pinnacle

Visit site
more practice you asc ?
she kneeds a physiotherapist to mend her back, (after 4 day's bending forward)
and a doctor to get rid of that flew after coming back in this chilly climate over here ;)

:D:D:D

Hope E feels better soon. Have you suggested pink wine to dull the pain?

rafiki_

Visit site
Great post Bart, and you make light of some quite challenging tasks, especially replacing the flooring. Good call on the black tank. This might have cost some serious cruising time if it had leaked mid season! Does this mean you will now have to serve smaller portions, now you have reduced capacity? :)

BartW

www.amptec.be
Blimey B, I just showed your update to S., and I must admit that you and E. are making us feel ashamed. Outstanding job, congrats.
I don't dare thinking of how much we spent during the years for the yearly revarnishing, and sometimes with worse results...
...though unfortunately the gunwhale caps (as well as many other parts) on my boat are made in iroko rather than teak.
And according to wood experts, iroko is prone to cracking if left unvarnished... :(
Oh, well, I suppose that sooner or later we will try to unvarnish it all anyway, and see what happens!

well you know this was a tough issue,
my orriginal choice was to use oil, but I had too much advice against this,
I've seen a few very nice varnished boats (ao yours), so I more or less accepted this second best choice.
Whatever type of varnish I would use, everybody's advice was that you have to redo (and sanding) it every year, or every two years at the very best.
last week I took different sorts of varnish to the boat, to tryout,
but when E saw the result without any treatment, It wasn't difficult to decide for oil finish, in order to keep the orriginal bare wood finish as close as possible.
can't advice on Iroco, but the oiling of the wood is really no big deal, very easyly done with a cloth, just a 10 minutes job on BA,
you might give a try ?

BartW

www.amptec.be
Good call on the black tank. This might have cost some serious cruising time if it had leaked mid season! Does this mean you will now have to serve smaller portions, now you have reduced capacity? :)

Yes we were very lucky with this, although I have a backup system;
each toilet outlet can be routed directly to a seacock to go straight in to the sea,
(which we use now while waiting for the new custom made tank)

Actually I do serve smaller portions at the moment, mainly to myself,
but this has another reason, todo with my weight :)

AndieMac

Visit site
Yes we were very lucky with this, although I have a backup system;
each toilet outlet can be routed directly to a seacock to go straight in to the sea,
(which we use now while waiting for the new custom made tank)

Yes agree Bart, great call on the black removal prior to the unpleasant dramas involved with leaving it too late. The ability to divert toilets flush overboard is also clever thinking.
Agree with Raf regarding understating the work in lowering the engine-room/lazarette sole!

Elly certainly gets in and helps the cause Bart, you are very fortunate getting that level of support, well done to both of you :)

BartW

www.amptec.be
Yes agree Bart, great call on the black removal prior to the unpleasant dramas involved with leaving it too late. The ability to divert toilets flush overboard is also clever thinking.
Agree with Raf regarding understating the work in lowering the engine-room/lazarette sole!

Elly certainly gets in and helps the cause Bart, you are very fortunate getting that level of support, well done to both of you :)

aha long time no see, how are you today, there are rumours you'r hanging around in the northern hemisphere,
any chance passing along SOF ? Ill be there many times the coming months.
or Belgium to have a look at a nice traile-able boat :D

jfm

Visit site
Nice stuff BartW. That was a close call with the old black tank!

I'm right there will E on the oiled teak capping rails. Remember, I did this on Match1 and they looked great (imho) and the maintenace was easy - just one rub of new oil every month - literally a 15minute (and quite pleasant) job, though you must take care not to drop any oil on the decks! I'm going to do the same on Match2

AndieMac

Visit site
aha long time no see, how are you today, there are rumours you'r hanging around in the northern hemisphere,
any chance passing along SOF ? Ill be there many times the coming months.
or Belgium to have a look at a nice traile-able boat :D

Unfortunately a time restricted, unplanned flying visit to Inverness on family business Bart, otherwise I would have loved to have caught up.

BartW

www.amptec.be
Warning: This post is not suited for the eyes of Vas,
Vas, in case you want to look despite my warning, I would recommend to wear sunglasses !

One of the boy’s in my business did a nice job today,
He has been polishing all 51 pcs SS side rail sockets
Here are a few of them, spot the polished ones

i-6kRKqDp-L.jpg

to be able to sand the gunwale capping thoroughly, we disassembled the complete rail attachement,
Inclusive the big brass screw with a big thread.
so that the capping was just bare wood without obstructions, (see previous report)
All the inner parts were plastered with many layers of silicone and all sorts of fillers,
but none of them was good enough to avoid water ingress along these fittings, inside in the gunwale (= a known problem on this boat model)
For a more future save mounting method, and avoiding this water ingress, I had some rubber washers made to measure
Here is the cleaned and polished brass screw with a new 3mm rubber washer

i-pRtT7sB-L.jpg

These are all the parts in one pic,

a big washer between the wood and the socket, and again a rubber washer between the M10 fixing screw and the socket

i-b555QMS-L.jpg

Spot the O-ring in the socket (this is orriginal)

i-xkrt2z7-L.jpg

Now the mounting procedure,
The brass screw and the hole in the capping

i-HPCqKFx-L.jpg

Half way in

i-N5CSzLz-L.jpg

Completely in, the washer can fill the rough edge of the wood,

i-cdRmVZr-L.jpg

Now placing the big washer

i-vDQ6PJz-L.jpg

The socket on top

i-DBTVgzx-L.jpg

And tighten the inner fixing screw, the big washer is extruding a bit from under the socket

i-Rscwj28-L.jpg

Next week I’m going to fit them again on the boat.

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
HA!! Having just watched your "Sunshine" video, I think "Mr OCD" could run a master class in boat cleaning.:cool:
Who, me? Naaah... On the video, the boat only looks clean because there aren't any details views.
The rails for instance, I don't think they've ever been as shining as those posted here, in the whole boat life...! :eek:

MapisM

Visit site
you can see the difference between bare wood, oiled, and orriginal many layers of old varnish
P1140363.jpg
One question for the teak wizards, since I know there are some around here... :)
I would have sweared to have seen in a not so distant past a debate on the best oils for the treatment above, but I couldn't find it with the lousy search.
So, since I guessed that Bart was inspired from it, I asked him first, but he told me that he just used one of the many teak oil products around.
Now, does anyone remember a thread where we debated this point with all the usual geeky details, or did I dream or it?
Ta!