www.amptec.be
bulkhead-1.jpg

profiledrawing.jpg

when I will have the removeable side rails made for the platform,
might have some made for the FB aswell,
looks nice on Match,

especially when the tender is away from the FB,
and with my new sunbeds up there,
I have to make it safe for the girls. ;)

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I even had to tack left and right for a while to make the ride more comfortable,
nevertheless the guests didn’t want me to cruise anymore while they were sleeping for the rest of the summer.
IMHO, your ungrateful guests need to appreciate who's paying the bills a bit more and maybe get off the backsides to make the poor skipper a cup of coffee at that hour in the morning instead of snoring in their bunks:)

MapisM

Visit site
if the position here is right,(weight distribution wise) In believe its doable
Yup, for what can be said just from the pics, aside from the accessibility problems, you actually MUST position the fins fwd of the e/r bulkhead, otherwise they would be too far astern.
But that's not a problem, actually. The only thing you must be aware of is that if you're thinking to use the zero speed stabs while overnighting, those sleeping in the master cabin are much more likely to be disturbed by the noise of the cylinders movements - which are irregular, hence more annoying than the genset.
That's the main reason for my preference for an e/r placement, AOTBE.

jfm

Visit site
Yup, for what can be said just from the pics, aside from the accessibility problems, you actually MUST position the fins fwd of the e/r bulkhead, otherwise they would be too far astern.
But that's not a problem, actually. The only thing you must be aware of is that if you're thinking to use the zero speed stabs while overnighting, those sleeping in the master cabin are much more likely to be disturbed by the noise of the cylinders movements - which are irregular, hence more annoying than the genset.
That's the main reason for my preference for an e/r placement, AOTBE.

Yup, agreed MapisM - they are not silent in the master cabin esp if you want to sleep. In practice though I find that isn't a problem. I have never run them through the night and probably never will. I hate gensets at night, so that means I just cannot run stabs. If the boat is that bad at night i will anchor somewhere else or find a marina. The time when stabs work well at anchor is during afternoons and meals when you want the boat to stop rolling and you don't care about slight genset noise, and you cannot hear the stabs becuase you are up on main deck or outside

To my mind though, stabs are much more important underway than at rest. Stabs at rest are nice to have, but often a lee of an island will hide most of the waves anyway, and indeed that's what you try to achieve when anchoring. Out in the open sea when you want to get somewhere is when I really love the stabs becuase they convert a F7 to a F3 (in that 220degree sector)

MapisM

Visit site
J, personally, I fully agree with everything you're saying, bar nothing.

Otoh, there are boaters who expect to use 0speed stabs also while sleeping at anchor (not sure if it's the case for Bart - hence I thought to mention), and the noise might be a bit disappointing for them.
Out of curiosity, in your boat, isn't also the AC pump pretty noisy?

BartW

www.amptec.be
To my mind though, stabs are much more important underway than at rest. Stabs at rest are nice to have, but often a lee of an island will hide most of the waves anyway, and indeed that's what you try to achieve when anchoring. Out in the open sea when you want to get somewhere is when I really love the stabs becuase they convert a F7 to a F3 (in that 220degree sector)

in SOF there are not that many bay's to choose from to be on the lee side of an island,...(compared to Croatia fe)

we have done quite a few anchorages in the Callengues,
or on Porquerolles, and many times the swell was anoying enough to make some guest feel sick.

but on the other hand, was never thinking to use stabs at anchor during the night, we did quiet a few overnights on anker.
actually on this I'm with Jfm,
have never switched on the genny during the night.
we don't need AC for a good sleep

MapisM

Visit site
we don't need AC for a good sleep
Ops, just realised that I could have been misunderstood in my previous post.
By AC pump, what I meant is the hydraulic pump driven by a big three phase electric motor, which is necessary to run the stabs at rest.
And in turn, you need the genset to run this AC motor, of course.

BartW

www.amptec.be
By AC pump, what I meant is the hydraulic pump driven by a big three phase electric motor,

oops, must this really be a 3 phase electric motor ?
both my genny's are mono phase 230V

but I'm sure if that's the only problem to solve when fitting the stabs, we will manage :)

any idea of the power of that electric motor for the hydraulic pump ?
(f.e. the one on my Scuba compressor is mono phase 3.6Kw.)

jfm

Visit site
oops, must this really be a 3 phase electric motor ?
both my genny's are mono phase 230V

but I'm sure if that's the only problem to solve when fitting the stabs, we will manage :)

any idea of the power of that electric motor for the hydraulic pump ?
(f.e. the one on my Scuba compressor is mono phase 3.6Kw.)

Mapis, the AC pump and motor are v quiet. The first pump I had made the classic "hydraulic whine" but sleipner chaged it for a better Rexroth that is v quiet. You cannot hear it above genset. Of course you can hear the genset

Bart my pump is 10hp 7.5kw 3ph. You need that size, plus a hydraulic accumulator. Both my gensets are monophase and they use a VFD to convert 1ph to 3ph. Works perfectly. I also have 2 VFDs to make 3ph for my airco which is all specced with 3ph motors to avoid start up spikes

Modern VFDs are clever things. Much better than those old boxes where you split the incoming 230v monophase into 3 then used an inductor and a capacitor to advance and retard 2 of the 3 to create an approximation of 3ph

BartW

www.amptec.be
Both my gensets are monophase and they use a VFD to convert 1ph to 3ph. Works perfectly. I also have 2 VFDs to make 3ph for my airco which is all specced with 3ph motors to avoid start up spikes

Modern VFDs are clever things. Much better than those old boxes where you split the incoming 230v monophase into 3 then used an inductor and a capacitor to advance and retard 2 of the 3 to create an approximation of 3ph

I understand its function, but
what does "VFD" stand for ?
what make are these devices ?

MapisM

Visit site
Mapis, the AC pump and motor are v quiet. The first pump I had made the classic "hydraulic whine" but sleipner chaged it for a better Rexroth that is v quiet. You cannot hear it above genset. Of course you can hear the genset
Mmm... that's very interesting.
I've seen another similar setup, with a Bosch/Rexroth pump driven by a comparable 3ph motor, and it was rather noisy.
I would say comparable with the genset in absolute terms, if not worse. Very different, actually (a high frequency whine of the pump, vs. a much lower frequency rumble of the genset), but still rather annoying, anyway.
By chance, is your pump installed on soft rubber mounts, or directly bolted to some structural parts of the boat, like the e/r floor or something?

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Mmm... that's very interesting.
I've seen another similar setup, with a Bosch/Rexroth pump driven by a comparable 3ph motor, and it was rather noisy.
I would say comparable with the genset in absolute terms, if not worse. Very different, actually (a high frequency whine of the pump, vs. a much lower frequency rumble of the genset), but still rather annoying, anyway.
By chance, is your pump installed on soft rubber mounts, or directly bolted to some structural parts of the boat, like the e/r floor or something?

I can believe that. You gotta get the right pump. Mine is almost impossible to hear even on the aft deck, right above the pump, so that proves that quiet motors and pumps do exist. Mine is mounted on rubber feet but the thing is intrisically quiet - it is not the rubber feet that make it quiet.

Are you in France anytime soon? The current schedule is that I hand over Match to her new owners on 30 June or 7 July (they have already paid full money into broker's account so the deal looks pretty certain...)

RobWales

www.3ksengineering.com
I can believe that. You gotta get the right pump. Mine is almost impossible to hear even on the aft deck, right above the pump, so that proves that quiet motors and pumps do exist. Mine is mounted on rubber feet but the thing is intrisically quiet - it is not the rubber feet that make it quiet.

Are you in France anytime soon? The current schedule is that I hand over Match to her new owners on 30 June or 7 July (they have already paid full money into broker's account so the deal looks pretty certain...)

Please excuse the thread drift...

Jfm...
Are you going to be boatless after the handover and prior to the new commision, or are you going for an interim jobby?

Just being nosey I guess ;)

rafiki_

Visit site

JFM, congrats on "the deal" with Match. Looking fwd to your new thread. Bart, apologies for the drift on your thread.

jfm

Visit site
Apols too for thread rift - I only mentioned dates for losing Match in case BartW was in France on BA and had time to stop by and see/hear the stabilisers on Match before I lose her

I have various kind offers of loaner boats over the summer (2 Targa 50s and X-Yachts 55) plus a kind offer of mates-rates charter on a Sq58 so thanks to all those nice people i wont be boatless :D

BartW

www.amptec.be
Jfm...
Are you going to be boatless after the handover and prior to the new commision, or are you going for an interim jobby?

he has been offered a Canados 70 on loan for a few day's,
but Jfm was afraid not to master all the systems on another 80 footer
I strongly believe he was joking :D:D:D