Blue Angel (Canados 70s) Rebuild thread

Monique

Visit site
Been following since the start. Gorgeous result. May see you in SoF (St Raphael) this summer and if we cross paths, I will have a bottle of Champ we can share...

Well done.:D

BartW

www.amptec.be
Around 13h today we arrived in Toulon,
Total: 20,5 hrs 320nm
9hr’s at displacement speed, (unbelievably low fuel consumption)
No exact data logged unfortunately

Fully loaded with fuel and new platform , clean bottom: 21kn @ 2000RPM
Light weight: 22,5kn@ 2000RPM
Similar performance like trip in other direction,
Conclusion: Extra weight from the new platform is compensated with clean bottom.

During the last part, lot of the time;
I was pleasantly surprised to read on the gps:
24kn@ 2070 RPM checked with laser RPM meter
Engines perfectly synchronized by ear
never before cruised at that speed

jfm

Visit site
Woohoo. Congratulations Bart on conclusion of your refit project. Hope to see you around this summer (if I can get my hands on a boat :))

BartW

www.amptec.be
If you had a choice, I'd have advised against that model of plotter on the flybridge, the tracker ball is a really bad design for external use, and even a slight bit of salt causes it to be jerky and unpleasant to use. I'm thinking of changing mine even though it's not broken. Also Furuno spares are a ridiculous price (almost €1,000 for a new glass!), but of course you already had the scanner and one plotter, so you had no real choice but to fit Furuno.

thanks for the apreciation,

the It guy that I ordered the plotter from,
is the only one I'm not satisfied with,
he was payed in advance to confirm my order for some stuff, (stupid I know)
but he postponed delivery until the last minute.
last week, On the last day, when I was not there, he installed that stuff, and not according what we agreed,
there is no manual for the Furuno,
the VHF antenna's are not what I wanted,
and the Furuno system is not setup correctly / the network didn't work,
the only thing I could find out in the old manual, is that both display's put data on the network,
when I disabled the data to network on the slave display the system worked,
I'm not yet used to the Furuno, the old one was downstairs, and last year 95% of the navigation was done from the FB, with a very small Neonav backup plotter.
The old manual states about a installation wizard, couldn't find that on my system.

thanks for the warning on the reliability of the tracker ball,
will place an extra cover
and probably place the display upstairs in another position.

vas

Visit site
nice one Bart although consumption figures are eyewatering even on displacement speeds, but I appreciate the size/weight of BA.

you didn't mention how she behaves on AP? is that snaking going on still, or sorted somehow?

cheers

V.

BartW

www.amptec.be
(if I can get my hands on a boat :))

is the sale of Match finalised ?
in June and september BA is almost completely free,
(have other obligations ao with the Karnic)
you can have her if you like, (seriously !)
but I'm not sure if an old Canados can satisfy your love with Fairlines :D

BartW

www.amptec.be
You now have the best c70S on the planet.

still one important thing missing as you know :)
but I 'm not yet sure if I will ever throw in that amount of money
unless one comes with a second hand or demo pair of fin stabs :rolleyes::)

not "owner mods" which takes extra effort but is the mark of a proper boat geek

look who say's :D

And if you expect to use the transom door underway I'd put removeable side rails on the platform and an "overhead handle" in the transom bench box space

good idea about the handles, will defo do that, also good for the divers, etc..

but these removeable platform side rails, I'm not sure if I want these,
I hate metal tubes hanging around when not in position,

moreover I still have the cockpit floorgate to the Util room,
perfect acces for using during navigation,
but only accesable when the cockpit table is in its old position
both table positions are now possible, and provided with recessed SS floor fixing plates.

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
is the sale of Match finalised ?
in June and september BA is almost completely free,
(have other obligations ao with the Karnic)
you can have her if you like, (seriously !)
but I'm not sure if an old Canados can satisfy your love with Fairlines :D

No, not finalised. And with these things, as everyone knows) nothing is finalised till it is finalised

That is a very kind offer (you are a gent) but actually it would be quite a challenge to get to know how to run another 80er and I have access to boats in Antibes (Sq58 and targa 50 bareboat at various times over the summer, plus plenty of friends to hitch a lift with) so it would be better to meet you in an anchorage somewhere and let you remain captain of BA :). I would love to see the refit work close up though so we will definitely fix a forum meet at an anchorage some time early summer. Prhaps Red Dot Bay in Porquerolles.

I love my Fairlines but of course when it comes to boats I am highly unfaithful :D and love Canados and many others too. Lots of boats in this sector are fantastic machines and we are very fortunate to be able to play with them and especially to do these build/refit type projects. I'm still looking back at your refit pictures above and cannot believe what a great "factory original" job you have done. It is fantastic stuff; great project, and much bravery on your boat to take a saw to the boat. BA was a really nice boat when you bought her but you have transformed her into a great machine with a load of "2012" features. What you gonna do next winter Bart ??? :D :D

FWIW imho a next great BA project would be a massive flybridge dash with loads of big touch screens :)

wakeup

Visit site
Bart BA looks fantastic. You will no doubt get your money back on those mods as well as make the boat more pleasurable to use.

Did you sort out your rudder tracking issue? Did the boat weave as before on your delivery trip?

jfm

Visit site
but these removeable platform side rails, I'm not sure if I want these, I hate metal tubes hanging around when not in position,

Yeah, i get your point. I wasn't going to order them on Match, but did at last minute. I'm really glad I did and will order them on next boat. They are in position 99% of time. If I am tied up side-on to a low quay, I need to remove one or two rails for passengers to get on the boat but I had extra holes put in the deck so i can put them in a different position. Normally they are like this, 99% of time:

IMG_1562.jpg

But for port side to berthing (fe) they can be like this (not great pic sorry):

cannesbs.jpg

jfm

Visit site
PS, notice the stupid too-tall riser on the top step of that Absolute 70. Yuk. And hose pipe entry in middle of step - WTF? Your BA steps are much nicer :)

AndieMac

Visit site
What fabulous, tidy workmanship Bart, the boat looks great at every angle.

That transom/lazarette access is going to be so valuable to you and your diving guests, by keeping all the heavy, wet, bulky gear away from the civilized entertainment areas :)

Are you going to fit air bottle racks in the lazarette, either side of the door?

Well done...again! :)

Last edited:

Hardmy

Visit site
Sound dampening

Acoustic absorption above the engines,
new perforated aluminum protective grills still to be placed

P1120352.jpg

Bart, may I ask you whether you noticed a substantial noise reduction in the saloon since fitting this new sound dampening stuff? What material did you use?

Again, thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us, this thread is among my favourites! Your boat till now was already a timeless beauty, moreover with the mods you didn't spoil her beautiful lines, in fact she looks even bether than when she was built!

BartW

www.amptec.be
we will definitely fix a forum meet at an anchorage some time early summer. Prhaps Red Dot Bay in Porquerolles.

good plan, would love to meet the Antibes gang :)

a next great BA project would be a massive flybridge dash with loads of big touch screens

well,
while I agree with your complains about many dashb layouts,
I seem to differ on this one,

first of all I'm not geeky on all these electronic gags,
On the karnic I have a few of them; ao Sidescan sonar, Ais transponder,
but I have very little interest / time to read the manuals for this,
and hardly use this.

On BA I have just the minimum that I use and that I need,
and some backup,
and I'm happy with that.

I know that the helm dash is not state of the art,
and that there is a perfectly designed mold available somewhere in UK :)

but for now I prefer to keep the old one, with some very fine details that I like on them
ao, perfectly fitting plexi instrument covers, with small drains for water ingress, etc.. all inline with a timeless boat :)

the only thing I would like to change is placing the new plotter somewhere closer (more about that later)

. What you gonna do next winter Bart

will start the list tonight :)
- some SS metal work, more info in my next post
- Gauches for Fuel, Water, WhiteW, BlackW,
- Digital Volt and amp meters on 2 x 230V, 2 x 24V; 1 x 12V
- there is still one major project (apart from the finstabs !?!?!?),
and that is adding two extra bunk beds in the VIP Cabin,
I have seen an example in a old C86, so perfectly doable without changing the entegrity nor High luxery look of the cabin.

- O yes, I still have some remaining jobs on the Karnic;
new dash, improve or clean many untidy additional cables, and a few minor jobs....

and inbetween reading the new SQ78 build thread :)
I won't be boared next winter :D