Blue Angel (Canados 70s) Rebuild thread

rafiki_

Visit site
Bart, she really looks stunning. A fantastic example of your mods enhancing an already gorgeous boat. I am even more disappointed to be missing the forum trip in September.

MapisM

Visit site
Sorry to hear that you couldn't eventually make it Bart, but yes, if we'll be back from France by the time you'll re-arrange the trip, we'll be more than glad to come.
Let's stay in touch!

BartW

www.amptec.be
As an aside, I've seen what you said in the other thread on additional stern cleats for the spring lines.
Actually, my first choice (in terms of practicality of use) would be on the corners of the fixed platform, rather than under the fairleads - see the red spots in the pic below.

i-3PVgTLm-L.jpg

yes agree, was also my first choice,
but don't you think that the transom corner, just aside that SS slot will be stronger ?
on that position they would not protrude too much,
what do you think ?

thanks for the link,
was planning to fit 4 foldable cleats on the Hi lo platform, rear edge,
for mooring the tender, (between dives...etc)
or for fixing some fenders (horizontally)

Last edited:

vas

Visit site
Just to let you know that we didn't departure, due to bad weather forecast,

as available time this week, for Alf and myself is limited,
the trip will probably be postponed for 2 or 3 weeks,
more news later,

so a second chance for Silvia and you guy's :)

no worry's, but
just feel sad for the workers,
last week they worked day and night to get everything finished in time:eek:

Hm great pitty,

you couldn't make the trip and I'm here alegedly lecturing like NOW, only none has turned up since uni is closed tomorrow and then Friday-Monday for the general elections so wasting my time!
Mind you, still better than travelling to Rome on the grounds I'd make the trip and then having to travel back to Athens from Fumicino :)

we shall see how things turn up.

Anyhow, BA looks really lovely and I've started wondering if I could make a similar cut in the port side of the transom and built the 3 steps needed from the platform in order to avoid the up/down from the bathing platform... I know not exceptionally structurally sound on a wooden hull, but will think about it.

cheers

V.

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
but don't you think that the transom corner, just aside that SS slot will be stronger ?
Yes, probably on the transom you could install some bigger and stronger cleats, which could also be used for main lines. But what's the point?
Your existing internal cleats and their winches are very convenient, I can't think of a reason for not using them for the main stern lines.
Besides, you couldn't install cleats along the almost vertical stern in a way that the load would work along the proper direction, whilst on the fixed platform that is feasible.

Re. small cleats on the H/L platform for the RIB, they definitely make sense.
Not sure about 4, though. A couple of them would probably be good enough in most occasions.
After all, there is also some hazard involved with them, when they're raised: it's easy to guess that the platform will be a very popular place in summertime, with everybody barefoot...
Besides, I'm not a fan (though that's just a personal view, TBH) of fenders along the platform to protect the boat when moored.
I've yet to see a good fender-based solution for protecting the boat from hitting the dock.
Mooring the boat far from the dock and with tight lines is the only effective solution, imho.

BartW

www.amptec.be
Mind you, still better than travelling to Rome on the grounds I'd make the trip and then having to travel back to Athens from Fumicino

being here, looking at, and enjoiing the work is satisfying enough right now :)

I've started wondering if I could make a similar cut in the port side of the transom and built the 3 steps needed from the platform in order to avoid the up/down from the bathing platform... I know not exceptionally structurally sound on a wooden hull, but will think about it.

if you browse through the pics / this thread, you will notice that after the cut in the transom,
they made a very solid wooden construction,
which actually repairs the potential loss of structural strength,
the steps are no part (or very little) of that structural strength

MapisM

Visit site
I've started wondering if I could make a similar cut in the port side of the transom and built the 3 steps needed from the platform in order to avoid the up/down from the bathing platform... I know not exceptionally structurally sound on a wooden hull, but will think about it.
V, you might be interested to know that years ago I also considered to open a transom door on my boat, and I had exactly the same concern.
But when I spoke with the builder, he laughed at that, and assured me that the I could cut the upper part of the transom wherever I wanted.
Otoh, if you look at how it's built, the very think plank on top of the stern looks pretty much structurally necessary, but he granted me that it isn't.
Of course, I can't tell if the same is true for your boat, but I would be surprised if the basic techniques for traditional building would be much different from one builder to another.
Rhino.jpg

BartW

www.amptec.be
Yes, probably on the transom you could install some bigger and stronger cleats, which could also be used for main lines. But what's the point?
Your existing internal cleats and their winches are very convenient, I can't think of a reason for not using them for the main stern lines.
Besides, you couldn't install cleats along the almost vertical stern in a way that the load would work along the proper direction, whilst on the fixed platform that is feasible.

never intended to use them for the main lines,
but almost "alway's" for the spring lines, re interference with the passerelle
agree with you on the load direction,
but main reason to put them there, is they are "immediatly" available, and never causing hazard...

lets have some experience with the mods first,
acces via the new steps to the transomdoor (with laundry)
might make me decide to follow your sugestion.

I'm not a fan (though that's just a personal view, TBH) of fenders along the platform to protect the boat when moored.
I've yet to see a good fender-based solution for protecting the boat from hitting the dock.
Mooring the boat far from the dock and with tight lines is the only effective solution

I'm completely with you on this,
fenders on the platform, feels like a invitation to touch the quai every now and then, which is a absolute NO GO imho

DTIM

Visit site
Stunning results Bart, you must be so pleased, you have got yourself a lovely boat and the alterations and additions look so in keeping, good luck with the delivery, wish I could join you.
Dave

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Bart, you've done a great job. BA looks fabulous. I must admit that at first, I thought the new transom steps and the door was a bit of a waste of money but the new design has transformed the boat. Well done

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
Fabulous job Bart, and you've really achieved what you set out to make, a luxurious liveaboard cruiser, adapted for diving.

For the spring cleats, I'd definitely go with the blue position, in the red position you will need a bigger first aid kit for all the broken toes!

If you had a choice, I'd have advised against that model of plotter on the flybridge, the tracker ball is a really bad design for external use, and even a slight bit of salt causes it to be jerky and unpleasant to use. I'm thinking of changing mine even though it's not broken. Also Furuno spares are a ridiculous price (almost €1,000 for a new glass!), but of course you already had the scanner and one plotter, so you had no real choice but to fit Furuno.

Anyway, great job, well done.

jfm

Visit site
Amazing job Bart. Congratulations. You now have the best c70S on the planet. You have done a fantastic job in making all these mods look original factory, not "owner mods" which takes extra effort but is the mark of a proper boat geek :D. I hope you have loads of fun with the new toys this summer

FWIW I would put the spring cleats in the blue position too (ie on the transom) even though all these things involve small compromises. And if you expect to use the transom door underway I'd put removeable side rails on the platform and an "overhead handle" in the transom bench box space you have made for your head as you walk down thru the transom door, but these are tiny mods you can decide about later, no big deal

Many congratulations. We need an update to MBY now

MapisM

Visit site
For the spring cleats, I'd definitely go with the blue position, in the red position you will need a bigger first aid kit for all the broken toes!
No big deal, he must have a huge one already.
Did you see where the winches are placed inside the cockpit?
It must have been a popular choice among IT builders, some decades ago: place the winches wherever appropriate for maneuvering, without bothering about the crew feet...
Been there, done that. :D
I suggested foldable cleats for the red position, anyway.

Last edited:

longjohnsilver

Visit site

That's a serious point. I broke my foot on a cleat on a bathing platform many years ago which has left me unable to play active sport, so yes, they can be dangerous! :mad:

henryf

www.911virgin.com
It takes a huge leap of faith to start cutting holes in your boat and there must have been times when you though what the hell have I done but the results are remarkable. Well done.

As has been said already a factory look job.

Henry :)

BartW

www.amptec.be
Just to let you know that we didn't departure, due to bad weather forecast,

weather forecast changed dramatically this morning,
after lunch decided to leave,
at 15h the bridges over river Tiber are open,
then fuel
at 16h we left Fiumicino
at 21h along Elba
now at displacement speed heading towards cote d'azur
(waves < 0,5m at the moment)

thank you all for the kind words,
believe me;
while cruising she's even more wonderfull :)