Blue Angel (Canados 70s) Rebuild thread

D

Deleted User YDKXO

but so are the metal props that are painted in micron 77, whereas the under hull sections also in micron 77 are pretty smooth. I can never figure this out...
Probably because the micron 77 didn't adhere to the props for more than a few miles at sea after you applied it. Finding a coating which deters fouling and adheres to fast spinning props is the holy grail of Med boating

jfm

Visit site
Probably because the micron 77 didn't adhere to the props for more than a few miles at sea after you applied it. Finding a coating which deters fouling and adheres to fast spinning props is the holy grail of Med boating

Erk, I was typing too fast. I meant rudders and P brackets, not props. Have now edited

BartW

www.amptec.be
One more important question;

I have a discussion here with the local yard electrician who helped me with the wiring;

The H+B manual say's that I MUST connect the SS mechanism with the boat's bonding

The electrician says we may not do that, as the Hi lo mechanism has Anodes,
otherwise we would have current from the boat through the mechanism,
I don't understand his theory but he's quite convinced ...

who can give advice with the correct theory ?
thanks in advance

jfm

Visit site
One more important question;

I have a discussion here with the local yard electrician who helped me with the wiring;

The H+B manual say's that I MUST connect the SS mechanism with the boat's bonding

The electrician says we may not do that, as the Hi lo mechanism has Anodes,
otherwise we would have current from the boat through the mechanism,
I don't understand his theory but he's quite convinced ...

who can give advice with the correct theory ?
thanks in advance

If the H+B unit is absolutely not connected to the boat's other immersed metals inside the hull, and if it is itself made from just one metal, you do not need to bond it. It can survive with its own independent anodes, of which it has several. But if it becomes connected to the boat's systems, eg (i) a pool of bilgewater connects the lowest mounting nuts to the P brackets, and/or (ii) the port side proximity switch earth becomes earthed to the boat'ss earth (by interlock with engine start, for example) then it should be connected to the boat's bonding system.

Due to item (ii), I would always bond it to the boat's anodes and general earth. That's the H+B recommendation too. Mine is bonded and I have no corrosion/electrolysis problems.

The "current through the mechnism" tells me he doesn't fully understand. There is nothing wrong with current through the mechanism (and we are talking micro currents of course). If there are dissimilar metals in a couple there will always be currents, but it is better to transmit them through heavy grounding wires (with no resistance losses) than through the electrical connections of the proximity switch

BartW

www.amptec.be
a pool of bilgewater connects the lowest mounting nuts to the P brackets

looking at the pics, I could have a lot more bilge water before it touches the lowest mounting nuts, and I hope I never will :)
but agree the principle and will bond my systems as also adviced by H+B

the port side proximity switch earth becomes earthed

what do you mean by that ?
is this a switch on the Hi lo mechanism ?
anyway, mine doesn't have that, works completely hydraulic

The "current through the mechnism" tells me he doesn't fully understand.

In his defense, there might be a wrong interpretation from the translator Ital to French
He works also for Canados, and they don't connect the hi lo system to ground (which I can understand and accept now)

jfm

Visit site
what do you mean by that ?
is this a switch on the Hi lo mechanism ?
anyway, mine doesn't have that, works completely hydraulic

Mine has a proximity switch that senses if the platform is fully up or not. If it is not fully up, you cannot start the boat's main engines (though, there is a key override in case of emergency). Likewise, if the boat's engines are running, you cannot lower the platform becuase the hydraulic pack is disabled. To achieve this there is a proximity switch on the platform mechanism wired into the boat's main electrical systems (green thing on picture below)

LiftinBleumer30April201234.jpg

Last edited:

BartW

www.amptec.be
For the hi lo platform fetishists,
Here some more pics, just to have them all together for future recovery

Also from the inside:
apologies for the dirt and untidy-ness,
utility-room floor plates have to be put in place;
remember we are reaching the end of a big rebuild project, one week left for ao sanding the teak, and cleaning.

i-nN7MP6V-L.jpg

i-LGNnbsQ-L.jpg

These (removeable) steps to the transom door are in front of the hydraulic pump and valves

i-732ZbRS-L.jpg

i-3hhhsCF-L.jpg

i-pkQV8pc-L.jpg

i-S9R7M4b-L.jpg

i-N66NtQ9-L.jpg

i-tPtMWbr-L.jpg

i-qdMXhwR-L.jpg

i-WGMmq7X-L.jpg

i-RDBksp8-L.jpg

I'm pleased to report that the mounting is very stiff,
If one jumps on the edge of the platform, you can’t see any movement of the transom on the inside. It’s a Canados remember ;-)

The mounting went really nice,
There is a small curvation in the transom surface where the system is fixed,
We measured this and gave the dimensions to H+K, they made a drawing and designed the custem C70 extensions, with a mirrord wedge of 4°

After mounting the system we had only 10mm width difference between base, and the end of the two platform arms, which I believe is very good. and was confirmed by H+K

we didn't need to move the generator exhausts, nor any other outlet.
gen cooling water and exhausts gasses might flush over the mechanism,
but will leave this for now, might change in the future if really needed.

Last edited:

BartW

www.amptec.be
Mine has a proximity switch that senses if the platform is fully up or not. If it is not fully up, you cannot start the boat's main engines (though, there is a key override in case of emergency). Likewise, if the boat's engines are running, you cannot lower the platform becuase the hydraulic pack is disabled.

thats a Fairline special I think, We have'nt got that.
we might want to run the engine when the platform is down, (divers recovery)
but a warning light is usefull then,
so might add such a switch to the whish list for later.

on the other hand
there is a reassuring "Klak- klak" sound, when the safety hooks lock, thought
but I'm not sure if you can hear that when the engines are running.

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
there is a reassuring "Klak- klak" sound, when the safety hooks lock,

Yup, that is a reassuring sound. Design of that lock mechanism and the little cylinders that lift the locks is very neat. You can see why H+B is the market leader and I'm glad you got their hardware on your fabulous Canados 74s :)

BartW

www.amptec.be
Design of that lock mechanism and the little cylinders that lift the locks is very neat.

exactly,
very simple system
with absolutely zero "play"
and self adjusting over time,

looking at the lift arms, shows some really nice engineering,

I must have a picture somewhere from a system that Canados puts normally on their boats,
it looks very complicated, lots of hydraulic hoses visble, (and vulnarable)
but has a hi lo range of only 70cm (or there about)
very poor engineering

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
The platform looks great Bart, and will look even better when you've treated the exisiting bit so all the teak matches. Would you mind giving me an idea of how much the hi-lo platform cost (by pm if you prefer not to discuss openly)?

BartW

www.amptec.be
The platform looks great Bart, and will look even better when you've treated the exisiting bit so all the teak matches. Would you mind giving me an idea of how much the hi-lo platform cost (by pm if you prefer not to discuss openly)?

yes,
old teac will be sanded next week, looking forward to this new "look" all over the boat.

Price for the system is around 20000 euro depending on adaptations needed for your boat, or optional extra's you want.

H+B Guy's were really easy to work with,
(met them last year in Dusseldorf, and again this year)

I took the measurements of the transom (in my dive suit in the Tiber river :eek: )
from that they made a drawing and a design,
and 8 weeks later the system was delivered fitting perfectly, installed by ourselves (3/4 peeps) on 2/3 day's.
Comprehensive installation manual, and everything clearly labelled

I believe this would fit perfectly on your princess, and if you give it a go,
when time allows, I would offer to assist you with the installation,
or at least give instructions, which I'm good at :)

BartW

www.amptec.be
Return trip from Rome to South of France

It looks like I’ll be travelling alone with Alfonso,
If somebody on here would like to join this 350Nm delivery trip on Blue Angel, and admire the modifications ;)
we have lots of space available.
Stay on board is for free, you have to travel to Rome on Sunday, at own expenses.

We can pick you up at the airport in Rome Fiumicino or Ciampino.
Return home is from Toulon – Hyères or Marseille airport,
or any other airport on the cote d’azur.

Plan is to leave Rome Monday morning 30th april, very early, If sea condition allow.
Our Arrival in Toulon is planned on Tuesday evening but could also be Wednesday.
If you have some day’s off, and you fancy such a trip, don’t hesitate to give a sign.

MapisM

Visit site
It looks like I’ll be travelling alone with Alfonso,
If somebody on here would like to join...
Wow Bart, I didn't understand that Alfonso was going to join you in the trip.
Having experienced his culinary expertise, I regret even more not having been able to arrange my agenda for coming... :(

I'm sure that anyone who could accept Bart invitation will be delighted by such a great boat, captain and crew!

Fair winds, and don't forget to post some pics. :)

AndieMac

Visit site
I was wondering when BA was going back in the water Bart after the other thread on the slipping process.

Hope all goes well for the return voyage, can you do it in one long leg or is there a fuel stop planned?

BartW

www.amptec.be
can you do it in one long leg or is there a fuel stop planned?

there is a fuel stop planned on cap Corse (macinaggio) or Elba, weather depending.
monday evening we might do a overnight crossing at displacement speed, and then we don't need refueling,
but for the long leg from corse to SOF I don't want to take a risc with fuel, so will try to refuel anyhow.

Guests for joining the trip are still welcome !

Last edited: