Blue Angel (Canados 70s) Rebuild thread

vas

Visit site
That’s a piece of art if you ask me

P1110246.jpg

P1110249.jpg

coming along nicely, brilliantly I should say :)

How are you going to tackle the missing letters now in Blue Angel? namely, e and An???

BartW

www.amptec.be
How are you going to tackle the missing letters now in Blue Angel? namely, e and An???

actually when I left last week, the complete rear side of the hull was sanded, and ready for painting.
t'was better to paint this completely to have seemless corners on the recess for the new steps,
and to cover a few small holes from screws around the new door, etc...

We have been talking about new recals (is that how you call a selfadhesive logo ?)
and will probably have them the same like the orriginals.

SS metal letters are too much bling on this boat :)

rafiki_

Visit site
actually when I left last week, the complete rear side of the hull was sanded, and ready for painting.
t'was better to paint this completely to have seemless corners on the recess for the new steps,
and to cover a few small holes from screws around the new door, etc...

We have been talking about new recals (is that how you call a selfadhesive logo ?)
and will probably have them the same like the orriginals.

SS metal letters are too much bling on this boat :)

Bart, I think you mean decals, the sticky-on letters. Mind you, I feel very humble doing this, given your fantastic level of English. Neither my Walloon nor Flemish are up to much I'm afraid.

AndieMac

Visit site
The guys (and Elly :)) are making great progress Bart.

Is the new transom door to be sprayed or powder-coated?

The engines (mains) look new, have they been painted recently?

Vegairin

Visit site
To consider aesthetics and prolly easiest: I bet in the section of the port side of the cockpit and had to build hollow steps. You lose the volume in the cockpit, would be profitable, depending on what is now. This would secure access to the platform, but should be large enough for people with an aqualung (Gits and fat).

BartW

www.amptec.be
Bart, I think you mean decals, the sticky-on letters. Mind you, I feel very humble doing this, given your fantastic level of English.

no worries Rafiki, pls keep on correcting my language, apreciated ! can only improve and learn from that
but then you might miss part of the entertaining / funny part of it :)

BartW

www.amptec.be
Is the new transom door to be sprayed or powder-coated?

The engines (mains) look new, have they been painted recently?

they were talking about a primer for alluminium, and a coating, and then have it again in place for final corrections / perfect fitting seems, and then the final paint. Don't think they use powder coating,

They also made the side deck doors 20y ago, so I guess they know what they are doing... :)

the main engines were painted last year in winter time,
but now they were very dirty and dusty,
ao dark grey particles from the old acoustic treatment, and from taking that off,
now the engines look nice and clean

rgds
Bart

BartW

www.amptec.be
To consider aesthetics and prolly easiest: I bet in the section of the port side of the cockpit and had to build hollow steps. You lose the volume in the cockpit, would be profitable, depending on what is now. This would secure access to the platform, but should be large enough for people with an aqualung (Gits and fat).

Hi Vegairin,
your post only now came on, welcome to the forum !
thanks for contributing, but can you explain what you say above ?

I believe you refer to the new steps ?
actually these are completely finished now, and put in place this week...
completely according drawings and pictures as posted earlyer in this thread.

BartW

www.amptec.be
i-8PBZF6t-L.jpg

i-rsN2czf-L.jpg

i-PfLS2d8-L.jpg

i-c5dhwWH-L.jpg

i-dKWTsqk-L.jpg

i-Hx3hLt9-L.jpg

i-jXBTF5v-L.jpg

i-KghBSSj-L.jpg

i-3NjJmPL-L.jpg

the pics speak for them selves,
system installed and running after two day's work,
one more day for the finishing; installing the remore controll, installing final electric cabling, fine tuning the (no) gap between 2 platforms, ....

Last edited:

Mr Googler

Visit site
Wow Bart. You should get a few divers on there :)

Look forward to seeing more pictures of all the finished work. Must be close now. When are you back in the water? Must be looking forward to using all these fab upgrades.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Looks like it was original fitment, Bart. I like the way the supports have been neatly integrated with the trim tab rams

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Fab Bart, you must be VERY chuffed. All your plans have suddenly come together.

Now you do have a problem. What to think of next? :D

BartW

www.amptec.be
Wow Bart. You should get a few divers on there :)

Look forward to seeing more pictures of all the finished work. Must be close now. When are you back in the water? Must be looking forward to using all these fab upgrades.

less then two weeks to go now,

boat goes in water as soon the antifouling and hull polishing is finished,

on deck, a lot of parts came back from the painter and have to be fitted:
deck benches, transversal gunwale doors, rear gate doors, stern transom door, new rear steps, Passerelle door, and some other parts...

teak recaulking is almost finished, flybridge was only started a week ago, when the plastic cover was off, and sinds then we had several day's rain.
All teak still has to be sanded.

and then cleaning :eek:

BartW

www.amptec.be
Question:

the yard ascs me if I want antifouling or a protection on the SS mechanism for the platform ?
remember that a big part of it is permanently submerged.

rafiki_

Visit site
Question:

the yard ascs me if I want antifouling or a protection on the SS mechanism for the platform ?

Bart, for a/f best ask JFM and others in the Med with similar set-ups for their opinion. Way out of my league I'm afraid. I would want to be very sure that all the metal fixings and actuaters are SS, with no chance of bi-metallic corrosion. Given the problems VP have had with rams sealing, this is another area I would be wary of too.

MapisM

Visit site
I would definitely antifoul ANY u/w gear.
This is the one used by my yard, also on commercial vessels.
It lasts reasonably also on props, so you can expect excellent results on parts not so subject to water flow/pressure, like the platform mechanism.
But it must be applied accurately, with a proper preparation and primer.

jfm

Visit site
Question:

There are differing views on this. I have never had my up/down mechanism antifouled and I'm happy with that choice. The yards tend to be a bit "slap dash" with the paint and after 2-3 years it would get all thick and claggy, with bits missed, yuk. I get marine growth on my bare s/s platform mechanism but it easily wipes off, and on lift out it easily comes off with the jet wash, leaving the very nice mechanism looking shiny and new. So, for no particularly scientific reasons, I keep mine as bare s/steel. Lots of people do the same. I wouldn't argue with anyone who chose to paint it though

FWIW, here is my boat lifted about 3 weeks ago (been in water since July 2011 and thru winter) and then ready to relaunch. The platform mechnism is well fouled, but so are the metal rudders and P brackets that are painted in micron 77, whereas the under hull sections also in micron 77 are pretty smooth. I can never figure this out...

LiftoutBleumer201226March11.jpg

LiftinBleumer30April201232.jpg

Last edited: