Blue Angel (Canados 70s) Rebuild thread

BartW

www.amptec.be
Great picture on the wall

well spotted Callum !
nice memory's from the trailer boating with our family, as you remember well :)

actually this picture is part of the interior decoration changings;
replacing the old "bronze" frame by a more modern "metallic",
and the picture bringing "colour" in the brown wood flooded saloon

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Bart, interesting photos. How noisy are the engine exhausts on BA? They seem to exit the boat above the waterline just under the bathing platform. Just a thought but since you are already making substantial alterations in the transom area, I was wondering whether you might be planning to re-route the exhausts underwater or fit water trap silencers?

BartW

www.amptec.be
Will the work be finished in time for Easter holidays?

Unfortunately not John,
The HiLo platform will be delivered just after easter, and I will use some holliday time with friends to install the platform.

Our kids have other engagements around easter,(scouts and all that) so no real need to spend time with family onboard,

I regret though that I won't be able to welcome one or more forum mates in SOF in that period :)

But I believe the installation of the new platform is worth to sacrifice easter holiday,
in summer this could be a nice extra feature.

and as you know, I don't consider this building process as irritant, I can enjoy this as much as the sailing.
Moreover, now I have a good excuse at home to go there so often ;)

jfm

Visit site
ah, before I forget, I'd be very interested on a report on primer/top coats used by the team for the plywood around the gunwale and aft deck areas.

I'll need to do a lot of painting there as well and I'm not sure on brands/types of paint yet.

cheers

V.

They might prime then spray gelcoat onto the ply. I dunno what this yard does but it's a common technique in viareggio to finish wooden parts on GRP boats...

vas

Visit site
They might prime then spray gelcoat onto the ply. I dunno what this yard does but it's a common technique in viareggio to finish wooden parts on GRP boats...

could well be, in which case, I'll just skip that bit ;)

although there's so much for me to do in MiToS, painting is my greatest worry. I'm pretty sure I can handle the rest, but not painting (unless it's brush/roll combo...)

V.

BartW

www.amptec.be
How noisy are the engine exhausts on BA? They seem to exit the boat above the waterline just under the bathing platform. Just a thought but since you are already making substantial alterations in the transom area, I was wondering whether you might be planning to re-route the exhausts underwater or fit water trap silencers?

the engines sound is generating defo some head turning when entering or leaving a marina,
and don't we all like some of that ? :)

while cruising, its very noisy on the cockpit,
but does anybody ever occupy the cockpit while at planing speed ?

have been thinking about underwater exhausts while re arranging stuff in the e/r recently,
but thats all new to me, not sure about how and where, etc...
might consider that again in future.

The generator exhausts must be rerouted, they interfere with the hi lo platform system,
this will be my first experiment with underwater exhausts

BartW

www.amptec.be
I'd be very interested on a report on primer/top coats used by the team for the plywood around the gunwale and aft deck areas.

so am I,

The teamboss mentioned about putting a glass fibre tissue first, ...

some parts on BA are perfectly done,
a exprienced GRP constructor in SOF thought the superstructure of BA is GRP, while it is all plywood,
but the finish looks exatly like GRP with gelcoat.

The outside of the gunwale (also plywood) is not good quality, bubbles etc,
done by a different yard then the superstructure.
This will be redone in a few weeks (together with the inside of the gunwale).
The teamboss is aware of the differences, and is convinced they can do a perfect job.

will let you know how they did it, and hopefully documented with pics.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

have been thinking about underwater exhausts while re arranging stuff in the e/r recently,
but thats all new to me, not sure about how and where, etc...
might consider that again in future.
Yup its not an essential upgrade but these people are worth talking to for advice http://www.halyard.eu.com/

BartW

www.amptec.be
Here an update from the works, pictures from my visit last week;
The workers were sanding the gunwale, lots of dust, no pictures from that,

Here a few details from the finishing, they put a glass tissue on the wood, to make it more resistant for damage, and more resistant for moisture, they cover this with a layer of GRP , sanding and ready for final painting

i-2nbjLDk-L.jpg

i-Sm6nwPG-L.jpg

All deckfloor has been recaulked, sanding will be done really at the last moment, let the caulking stick and dry as long as possible.

i-hN7qHxJ-L.jpg

Here you can see the edge of the upper step,
I have seen the other steps, these were finished, but not yet in position, but they look fantastic !

i-Skb3dc8-L.jpg

I had them make removeable tables above the generators, to be used as tools storage, work bench, and later for the scuba tank compressor (s) to sit on.

i-twstnqM-L.jpg

i-6rfXJ6J-L.jpg

These shelves are made above the side fuel tanks, extra space for parts and stuff (used to be on the previous work bench in the util room, which is gone now.)

i-nX2V25f-L.jpg

i-gBczmQ8-L.jpg

Look at that clean and shiny engine, and look who’s polishing

i-jcjQ9Tr-L.jpg

The desalinator in its new position in the util room, previously old fridge compressors were here

i-tT8cmx7-L.jpg

90° turning right,
Interesting detail of the glass fibre fabric on the new construction, and on the internal wooden door frame

i-8zhXT8t-L.jpg

One more 90° turn , the washing machine in its new position. she could use some new paint aswell...

i-8CSMQ5W-L.jpg

We visited the yard where we will do the liftout this year,
How come I like these nice old boats ?

i-ZJhkZKN-L.jpg

BA will go out the old fashion way, on a sledge…
We choose that yard, as here we can do the work for installing the hilo platform,

And now fitting the new transom door: (temporarily before she goes to the painters)

i-nm2NNPH-L.jpg

i-xBnpShQ-L.jpg

That’s a piece of art if you asc me

i-J2cpKFH-L.jpg

i-KrDWzCT-L.jpg

And then we had to choose new fabrics,
We need cushions on the new cockpit bench, and we didn’t like the blue white triped cushions on the old cockpit bench nor on the bow sun bed,
Moreover we don’t like the yellow saloon bench covering, so we decided to go for some new sunbrella fabrics.

Here are the examples we considered for the saloon:

i-MZWfCjS-L.jpg

1- fondant chocolate, only enhances the massive brown-ish teint from all that wood
2- blue-ish grey, we don’t like blue in there
3- charcoal grey, that’s the one we had in mind, and we finanally gave this a go
4- olive grey, not bad, but might be boaring grey after some time

did I say that we don’t like yellow, and both swmbo and myself have something with black
yes I know, no discussion about taste

also last week we had 4 Italian friends visiting us on the boat, including one famous forum mate, who shared some of his wealth of knowledge ao about my Auto Pilote problem (more about that in another tread)
but conclusion was that he has to come back to do further investigation while navigating :)

Last edited:

Hurricane

Visit site
BA will go out the old fashion way, on a sledge…
We choose that yard, as here we can do the work for installing the hilo platform,

How does this work with the props sticking out so far?
I'd be really worried that the sledge's chocks were high enough to protect the shafts amd props.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

You're right, Bart, that door is a work of art. Beautiful job. Ref the interior, green is a no no for most boaters as it is supposed to bring bad luck, agree brown is too much brown, blue is OK by me but best IMHO is the grey so I think you've done right

BartW

www.amptec.be
How does this work with the props sticking out so far?
I'd be really worried that the sledge's chocks were high enough to protect the shafts amd props.

actually I don't really know, but I thrust that they know how to do it,
inside the yard was Canados 85, also on a sledge,

here this pic shows a C70 on a sledge (sorry for the quality)
i-cc8cXkH-L.jpg

they say, gettin her out takes one full day,
so I guess they do it carefully

Last edited:

BartW

www.amptec.be
Amai, she is rapidly becoming just what you want isn't she?

yes we are very satisfied with the result until now,
especially as this was a completely unknown world for us

I think that this world of old craftsmen; making things completely manually and to measure
will disappear in the future, unable to afford in a modern world.