Blue Angel (Canados 70s) Rebuild thread

mitchc

Visit site
Can I come too??

how about a forum dive cruise on BA ?
I know a forum member diver with a brand new underwater camera :)

Blimey me too!!
I’ve been watching this thread develop and I’m green with envy.
All these big boats in blue water makes my 45 footer on the UK east coast mud puddle look very small.
I’d love to be able to afford these bigger boats and the updates you’ve organised…I guess I’ll have to keep working for a few more years!
Still I may have a bit of blue water relief in April as we’re towing the RIB to the SoF for a 10 day break on the Giens peninsula, Hyères, in the Var region

I’d be happy to give any non divers an introductory “try dive” in a nice shallow lagoon. It’s never to late to learn, the oldest I’ve taught so far is 63!

Keep up the good work and the posting photographs of the work on BA!!

rlw

Visit site
Ha don't get round to posting many times but It would be an opportunity for me to meet the most famous fellow Belgian forumite. Always wondered if I would run into him on my cruises in Zeeland. Probably not now he has taken a liking to warmer waters

BartW

www.amptec.be
Always wondered if I would run into him on my cruises in Zeeland. Probably not now he has taken a liking to warmer waters

Hi Rob,
besides the warmer water boating in SOF, I still have a few zeeland weekends planned with my Karnic,

have done quite a few miles in zeeland the last 4 years, mostly from Wemedinge,
Where is your T40 moored ?

I have started a new thread for the BA Forum dive cruise.

Last edited:

BartW

www.amptec.be
TBH, I'm afraid I may have some work/home related challenges (especially if the survey goes ok... ;) :):):) ) so could you put me down as a very eager 'maybe'.

If I got a new or another toy myself I wouldn't fancy sitting on somebodyelse's 20yo jobby :)

what are you surveying (I'm sorry if I've missed this)
keep us posted how you get on,
even a survey can be a interesting experience / adventure, re. BA last year.

scubaman

Visit site
what are you surveying (I'm sorry if I've missed this)

Someone else's 20 yo jobby :D:D:D

Nothing as grand as yours, but a nice piece of kit. A few issues I'm aware of but hopefully surveyor can shed some light into. I daren't say more at this point, but will come out of the closet once things progress a bit.

rlw

Visit site
Hi Bart,

I am based in Lage Zwaluwe near Willemstad. We spend most of our weekends in the Bieschbosch during the season. Usually cruise around Zeeland in the summer as 2 young kids limit cruising abilities at the moment. The targa 40 is white and called Aquaholic.

I'll keep an eye out for the Karnic this summer!!

Rob

MapisM

Visit site
I have to apologise to scubaman and MapisM,
actually I did consider other materials, (for a minute or 2 ;) )
my idea was that I rather prefer a slightly damaged natural product such as Teak, in stead of a synthatic material, from which eventual damages can't be repaired;

my solution is placing removeable rubber mats on the platform (s), on top of the Teac, only when diving.
(I still have some that I used to protect the cockpit floor in oktober last year)

I'm open for better solutions, I sériously am ! any idea's ?
I have no real live experience with synthetic Teak imitations
Just seen your question.
Actually, if you're willing to bother with the rubber mats handling, it's probably the only solution to enjoy the best of both words, so to speak.

BartW

www.amptec.be
Wednesday morning I dived in the cold water of the river Tiber, to take some exact dimensions of the stern of the boat Brrr that was cold.
Today I have received the projects drawings for the Hilo Platform,

i-Wsc2QZW-L.jpg

i-vg5bXW5-L.jpg

i-VQ8ZmQC-L.jpg

these pictures of a sample show some details:

i-75ZwbKX-L.jpg

i-BTRPjw8-L.jpg

This is the inside,
the lift mechanism will be placed behind such a stringer

i-CGLGjWP-L.jpg

i-FHkkFDC-L.jpg

i-8NTFJSg-L.jpg

I quite like the shape of this standard HK platform in the first drawing,
Early next week I will have a quote from a local yard here in Rome for the platform,
They could make it the same width, and border exactly the same shape like the original,
But I am seduced to go for the HK solution., all from one supplier.
only thinking of the dimensions, they are smaller then initially planned, les then 1.5m long platform, width is 4,5m and decreasing, ….

Any comments or advice before I put the final order confirmation ?

Soon when I have time, I wil post an update with pictures from the works here, new steps and all that, mmmm :)

Last edited:

AndieMac

Visit site
Are you planning at any stage to mount the dinghy on the platform Bart, or will she always stay on the flybridge?
Would you consider making the platform longer/deeper fore and aft to accomodate the dinghy and still walk around it?

BartW

www.amptec.be
Are you planning at any stage to mount the dinghy on the platform Bart, or will she always stay on the flybridge?
Would you consider making the platform longer/deeper fore and aft to accomodate the dinghy and still walk around it?

yes thats my only concern,
the idea of the platform is ao, to be able to do a quick recovery of the tender,
and leave it there every now and then (not permanently)

I don't need to be able to walk around the tender,
and I don't mind if it sticks out on the rear side of the platform,
but I had also in mind to upgrade the tender one day to slightly bigger model, and that won't be possible. Now the dingy is 4m (+OB leg ?)
and width is 1,75m
so even with this tender its very tight, (tender hanging over the existing fixed platform.)
this would be my main reason to opt for a real 4,6 x 1,5m platform.

do you think it will be doable with a dinghy slightly hanging over, on the sides and the rear of the platform ?

AndieMac

Visit site
do you think it will be doable with a dinghy slightly hanging over, on the sides and the rear of the platform ?

As long as you can 'shimmy' between the dinghy and the transom without getting your legs jammed :)

Can you go and have a look at some other arrangements around the marinas to see how others have done it, and the space around the inner edge?

Last edited:

Mr Googler

Visit site
Hey Bart

Is there anyway they could mould the corner sections that meet your existing transom to match it so it looks pretty much seamless. The way they curve in on the diagram makes it look a touch more aftermarket add on.

Hope u don't mind me saying :)

MapisM

Visit site
Doable, yes, but I'd rather avoid the lateral hang over, if at all possible.
In Med mooring, you don't want to have the O/B leg exposed out of the platform.
It can easily damage other boats while reversing on your berth, and even assuming that you have a crew member with a fender ready, it's difficult to protect the pointy bits of leg/prop.
Otoh, I would probably keep the RIB on the F/B whenever the boat is going to be moored, so for just a temporary placement on the platform, it's probably ok.
But if you wish to leave it on the platform also while theboat is moored, give a thoughts also to the mooring lines. Most tenders on the swim platform interfere with crossed stern lines, and that's a pita.

BartW

www.amptec.be
Doable, yes, but I'd rather avoid the lateral hang over, if at all possible.
In Med mooring, you don't want to have the O/B leg exposed out of the platform.
It can easily damage other boats while reversing on your berth, and even assuming that you have a crew member with a fender ready, it's difficult to protect the pointy bits of leg/prop.
Otoh, I would probably keep the RIB on the F/B whenever the boat is going to be moored, so for just a temporary placement on the platform, it's probably ok.
But if you wish to leave it on the platform also while theboat is moored, give a thoughts also to the mooring lines. Most tenders on the swim platform interfere with crossed stern lines, and that's a pita.

all agreed,
coincidently I was considering to put extra cleats on the corners of the hull, just above the platform, for fixing the diagonal mooring lines,
as these lines alway's interfere with the passerelle,
but these lower cleats ofcourse can't be used when the tender is on the platform.

BartW

www.amptec.be
Hey Bart

Is there anyway they could mould the corner sections that meet your existing transom to match it so it looks pretty much seamless. The way they curve in on the diagram makes it look a touch more aftermarket add on.

Hope u don't mind me saying :)

yes Farsco, have been thinking about that,
but with the standard HK mould it would mean that they have to cut off about 15cm from the GRP, (again make it smaller)
and even then, the finish of the border is different on each part (HK is more squared)
that will only be possible with a completely custom made GRP platform (on which I'm waiting for a quotation.

but also for that, my Italian team boss, draw a design more or less similar then the HK proposal. while my drawing was more in line with what you sugest.
I believe with the rounded corner is better for safety (when somebody falls on it) and for strength; such a thin corner can break or be damaged more easyly.
will give it a serious thought when we go for the custom GRP plate

thanks for the sugestions, much apreciated !

Mr Googler

Visit site
Hi Bart

All of that makes sense. I guess its going to be a lot of expense for the possibility of only a small visual gain. Going to be specatular no matter what and cant wait to see your new pictures. :)

BartW

www.amptec.be
I have added a few pictures of the inside, in post #210,
might be insteresting for some,
to see where the load of the mechanism will come

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
Bart, having now seen the internal pics I noticed the stringer shape and position.
If I understand correctly the drawings below, the external structure is attached to the stern with some bolts, whose holes should be made at each side of the stringers.

ProposalC70rear.jpg

Proposalc70sidevieuw.jpg

I suppose that the location right opposite to the stringers was chosen to grant a higher stiffness to the whole structure, but attaching to the stern something which "pulls" the stern outward is not a proper way of exploiting the stringers strength.
In order to make the stringers really concurrent to the whole structure, it's necessary to build some "L" shaped steel plates, bolted through the stringers and supporting the pull of the external bolts, rather than having only the transom supporting the whole effort.
Below I added in blue the "L" plates on stbd side, with a couple of through stringer bolts in red (obviously there should be more), to better show what I mean.
Alteratively, the steel plate could enclose the whole stringer, with a sort of "U" shape (with one plate per side, instead of two). This way, also the through stringer bolts would be unnecessary, but the shape of the plate becomes more critical, because it should follow exactly the stringer.
The two "L" plates each side are certainly much easier to build.

Lplates.jpg