Blue Angel (Canados 70s) Rebuild thread

scubaman

Visit site
its a little bit less, but 570euro/m2 for 10mm Teak, including these openings, seems quite ok from Germany not ?
(platform is 4,5 x 1,5 = 6,75m2)

the Italian gang quotes 500e/m2 for doing the boat (don't worry,I won't)

Just for reference, I had a conversation with Scandinavian Teak Ltd. who supply decks to Swans, etc. and they quoted 350 €/m2 for pre-assembled sheets (+ installation).

Did you consider them flexiteaks/esthecs et al?

Glad to see good progress, looking great!

BartW

www.amptec.be
Its always a pleasure for me to see craftsmen at work.
+1

Why did you remove the remote fridge compressors? This is a similar system as what Ferretti fit and I think it works very well. Certainly it keeps the noise and the heat from the compressor out of the accomodation and the fridge cooling efficiency, at least on the Ferrettis we've had, has been excellent

do you want to know something;
when I decided to remove that compressor I thought about you Deleted User :)
twas you who highlighted that feature of a water cooled compressor during my boat search 1 year ago ;)
and I agree with you that I like that principle very much

but here in this case:

the first compressor for the fridge in the galley was out of order, and had been replaced by a air cooled model (fitted in the galley) already a few years ago, I guess that the old one didn't work anymore.

the second comp, for the saloon fridge, it still worked, but the controll button was unreliable, and the fridge couldnt freeze cold enough anymore (despite new gas in the system)

The Italian fridge/Airco maintenance man, (did maintenance on BA for many years)
assured me that a new small air cooled Danfoss compressor will have a better efficiency then the very old water cooled system.
He could also supply a new water cooled system (which is obviously better), BUT
the space that now comes available in the util room, was perfect for the desalinator,

so in this situation, the air cooled danfoss is the best compromise.
noise is no issue on this new model, yes efficiency and extra heating in the saloon is a compromise.

With all these mods, I have now lots of space for scuba tanks in the util room, and thats is Very good news !

BartW

www.amptec.be
Just for reference, I had a conversation with Scandinavian Teak Ltd. who supply decks to Swans, etc. and they quoted 350 €/m2 for pre-assembled sheets (+ installation).

thanks for this reference,
so then I think that the quoted price for the teak, inclusive all the borders, installation and finishing is not too bad (?)
or is the general opinion that 570euro/m2 is really excessive ???

I assume these are synthetic imitations ?
I think you don't mind that I didn't consider these on a boat such as BA :)

longjohnsilver

Visit site
With all these mods, I have now lots of space for scuba tanks in the util room, and thats is Very good news !

Hi Bart, are you planning on installing a dive compressor, if so, which model? And where?
Looking good so far, did you think when you bought her that you'd make so many changes?

D

Deleted User YDKXO

The Italian fridge/Airco maintenance man, (did maintenance on BA for many years)
assured me that a new small air cooled Danfoss compressor will have a better efficiency then the very old water cooled system.
He could also supply a new water cooled system (which is obviously better), BUT
the space that now comes available in the util room, was perfect for the desalinator,

so in this situation, the air cooled danfoss is the best compromise.
noise is no issue on this new model, yes efficiency and extra heating in the saloon is a compromise.
Is this a fridge with a built in compressor like a normal domestic fridge or do you still have a separate compressor in the engine bay? I don't know about BA but on Ferrettis, the actual fridge compartment in the galley is a special unit made for Ferretti and it's quite shallow from front to back which means it can't be replaced by a normal domestic fridge. This would be a nightmare if it ever went wrong because we'd have to buy a replacement unit from Ferretti and pay their telephone number spare part prices

BartW

www.amptec.be
Hi Bart, are you planning on installing a dive compressor, if so, which model? And where?

Hi John, long time no see :)
Remember I still have that Bauer Oceanus,
have been using that one during a diving week on BA last year october
it worked perfect, and the Kohler Generator could easyly run the electric motor

I have asked the Italian craftsmen to make a new removeable work bench on top of each generator. The dive compressor(s) I would like to place on top of them, fit in there. I might even buy a second compressor when we do diving more often, the second one as a backup, or faster filling (as you know it takes about 20 minutes /tank (in France they empty the tanks quite good;) )

here are pictures from that space:

i-z8zTd9G-L.jpg

i-K8QNRdp-L.jpg

and from this picture (a younger sister ship) I got the idea

i-mBxqzKS-L.jpg

did you think when you bought her that you'd make so many changes?

the plan for the new steps I already had before actually buying the boat, (or simultaniously)
more idea's came along while using her.
I realise its quite a long list now, but within 3 months I will be fifty yo, so i'm in a hurry :) ;)

Last edited:

BartW

www.amptec.be
Is this a fridge with a built in compressor like a normal domestic fridge or do you still have a separate compressor in the engine bay? I don't know about BA but on Ferrettis, the actual fridge compartment in the galley is a special unit made for Ferretti and it's quite shallow from front to back which means it can't be replaced by a normal domestic fridge. This would be a nightmare if it ever went wrong because we'd have to buy a replacement unit from Ferretti and pay their telephone number spare part prices

Fridge in the galley,
this is not the orriginal anymore, (orriginal was water cooled comp in util room. )
I believe it is a commercial unit (looks like) but surely 24VDC.
haven't looked at it in detail, there is a freezer below, the unit is about 0,6m x 0,6m x 1,8m (l x w x h)
Its very rare that you will find me in that area ;)
The air cooled compressor is integrated on the back side, I think
can give you more details if you like.

Fridge in the Saloon,
is a nice old Fridge case in a cupboard, with SST door (have seen a similar in a Ferretti), which we mooved now 10cm more to the right.
orriginal water cooled compressor was in util room, but now we will put a new air cooled compressor unit in the cupboard near the orriginal fridge case.
I gues a replacement condensor unit in the fridge case is included aswell.

This could be a solution for you whenever your fridge breaks.
this new Danfoss compressor including installation < 1000 euro (don't remember exactly) and then its a standard unit, spare parts well available.

BartW

www.amptec.be

I assume these are synthetic imitations ?
I think you don't mind that I didn't consider these on a boat such as BA :)

So do I, obviously.
But having in mind to use the boat for diving, tbh I would have given other materials a serious thought.

I have to apologise to scubaman and MapisM,
actually I did consider other materials, (for a minute or 2 ;) )
my idea was that I rather prefer a slightly damaged natural product such as Teak, in stead of a synthatic material, from which eventual damages can't be repaired;

my solution is placing removeable rubber mats on the platform (s), on top of the Teac, only when diving.
(I still have some that I used to protect the cockpit floor in oktober last year)

I'm open for better solutions, I sériously am ! any idea's ?
I have no real live experience with synthetic Teak imitations

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Only a mere youngster then Bart! You'll soon qualify for the last of the summer wine divers group (old farts like me), I hope to do more this year, last season was hopeless, did fewer dives than at any time in the last 30 years.
One more question, will you have long hoses from your compressor and site the bottles outside? If not won't heat from the machinery be more of a problem? Excellent thread, makes me think I should be doing more to improve our boat!!

BartW

www.amptec.be
will you have long hoses from your compressor and site the bottles outside?

If not won't heat from the machinery be more of a problem?

during our first dive cruise, the tanks and gear was on the cockpit,
The compressor was in the util room, and with a 5m hose through a small opening in the floor, I could fill all tanks without moving them.

i-cPnX86N-L.jpg

i-Nbvr3cP-L.jpg

i-6dMsjnN-L.jpg

plan was to make benches for the gear on the cockpit, against the bulwarks,
but while doing these mods, I discovered that I could free enough space in the Util. room for the tanks.
So thats the plan now, to leave the tanks in there.
I believe it will be possible to sit down in the util room, on a small bench, in front of a tank, fix it on your back,
stand up, and go up the steps, to the platform, whille having the gear put on,
this is really great !
We will never have tanks anymore on the cockpit floor !

In the 3th pic you can see how awquate the acces to the util room is,
This new transom door is the best mod from all.

The compressor will be in the engine room, door closed, fans on,
heat and noise is no issue then.

haven't done many dives either last year, but skippered for dives many times :)

Last edited:

BartW

www.amptec.be
Sounds good to me Bart. Not too deep for me, suffered a nasty bend a few years ago so restricted to less than 25m now :mad:

OK, Rafiki and LJS on top of the list !
will keep this in mind,
lets see if other candidates join the group.
(among friends we equally share the expenses for fuel, mooring and food)

did you really suffer a decompression accident ?
do you know if you have a PFO or not ? (Patent Foramen Ovale)
My other half does, suffered symptoms of deco during 3 dive holliday's,
she has stopped with diving.

max 25m in SOF is very restrictive,
underwaterlive starts only at >20m
famous spots like Aroyo, Rubis, Donateur, grand conglué, l'imperial, is all >35m
Rafiki cant dive, and we're all adicted to boats,
perhaps we just skip the diving :)

vas

Visit site
I'd really like to come, have a nose around BA, eat, swim, even snorkel down to 4.5-5m for up to 10-15secs :rolleyes:
If pushed I could even drink...

Not so sure about proper diving though (wouldn't mind learning at some point, I'm too young you see@47 :p, but 30m, heck that's too deep for me to even think, don't you have a 6-8m diving spot option then in SoF? :D

cheers

V.

PS. when are you next to Rome, need new pics!

BartW

www.amptec.be
don't you have a 6-8m diving spot option then in SoF?

yes, there are, but then you can just look at rock's,
and this you can do aswell from the cockpit,
while drinking a glass of wine and telling boat story's :) ;)

when are you next to Rome, need new pics!

we're all in desparate need :),
next week wednesday I will be there with my diving suit to take some dimensions for the hi-lo platform

scubaman

Visit site
how about a forum dive cruise on BA ?
I know a forum member diver with a brand new underwater camera :)

I've had four rubbish diving seasons (actually since the kids were born) but would love to get my gear wet, meet other forumites and see BA in the flesh. I would be happy to join LJS for a couple of shallow ones too.

TBH, I'm afraid I may have some work/home related challenges (especially if the survey goes ok... ;) :):):) ) so could you put me down as a very eager 'maybe'.