Black Streaks

PRH

Visit site
Suffering black streaks from the flybridge cover and it occurs to me that it may be dirty!

Questions to the forum:

Best way to clean it (what soap - scrubbing etc)?
Does it work (no black streaks)?
How long does it last?

Thanks all.

beejay190

Visit site
Suffering black streaks from the flybridge cover and it occurs to me that it may be dirty!

Questions to the forum:

Best way to clean it (what soap - scrubbing etc)?
Does it work (no black streaks)?
How long does it last?

Thanks all.

I recently noticed the owner of an S37 berthed behind me scrubbing the covers with hot water and washing powder. They were laid out on the pontoon and he hosed them down afterwards.

One word of warning; it was a windy day and one of the covers flew off the pontoon straight into the plonk. Fortunately he was able to launch his tender and recover the cover before it sank .

carlton

Visit site
Depends on the fabric. For Sunbrella (from a pdf)...

General or light cleaning
To clean Sunbrella while still on a boat, follow these
simple steps:
• Brush off loose dirt.
• Hose down.
• Prepare a cleaning solution of water
and mild soap such as Ivory Snow,
Dreft or Woolite (no detergents).
• Use a soft bristle brush to clean.
• Allow cleaning solution to
soak into the fabric.
• Rinse thoroughly until all soap
residue is removed.
• Air dry.
• May not require re-treatment
depending on the age of the fabric.

• Always use a mild soap such as
Ivory Snow, Dreft or Woolite.
Water should be cold to lukewarm
(Never more than 100°F/38°C.)

• Rinse thoroughly to remove all soap residue.
• Air dry only. Never apply heat
to Sunbrella fabrics.

carlton

Visit site
On a further note, a quick word of warning...

Last summer I was so fed up with all the seagull guano on my canopy i removed it and chucked it in the (industrial) washing machine on a warm wash. It came out absolutely spotless, so I re-fitted it to the boat whilst it was wet 'cos it's easier. It dried within an hour or two. Lovely jubbly.

Next time it rained, it leaked like a sieve. I'd obviously washed it too well, to such an extent that you could see daylight through it from inside. O.k., it was 5 years old so was due replacement anyway. New one looks nice... :rolleyes:

Be gentle with 'em...

AndieMac

Visit site
Next time it rained, it leaked like a sieve. I'd obviously washed it too well, to such an extent that you could see daylight through it from inside. O.k., it was 5 years old so was due replacement anyway. New one looks nice... :rolleyes:

Be gentle with 'em...

You didn't try to apply a water-proofing agent such as Radproof after it started to leak?

PRH

Visit site
I recently noticed the owner of an S37 berthed behind me scrubbing the covers with hot water and washing powder. They were laid out on the pontoon and he hosed them down afterwards.

One word of warning; it was a windy day and one of the covers flew off the pontoon straight into the plonk. Fortunately he was able to launch his tender and recover the cover before it sank .

Depends on the fabric. For Sunbrella (from a pdf)...

Let the rain do the job;)

Thank you for the replies, have learned a few tips...............

OAF

Visit site
i removed it and chucked it in the (industrial) washing machine on a warm wash. It came out absolutely spotless, so I re-fitted it to the boat whilst it was wet 'cos it's easier. It dried within an hour or two

Interesting comment, so glad you posted it, I have just been advised by Princess boats to do this with my covers, as I have some industrial washing machines I would have done it, I wont be now!

carlton

Visit site
Interesting comment, so glad you posted it, I have just been advised by Princess boats to do this with my covers, as I have some industrial washing machines I would have done it, I wont be now!

Happy to help.

Bear in mind that if the question asked of Princess was, 'How can I clean my covers?' their answer is right on the money. After all, Princess won't be the ones who have to fork out for new ones when they start leaking.