Biometric Residency Permits

Alicatt

Visit site
When arriving back in the UK from a weekend at my girlfriend's house in the EU I could not find where I had left my passport, it had slipped under the car seat and Sat Nav DVD drive and I could not feel it there. Immigration chap on the booth at Dover said it's ok even a driving licence is enough proof, it's only the ferry carrier that needs to see your passport.

greeny

Visit site
On my old French Carte de Sejour I couldn't even fly internally without an accompanying Passport.
It's strange how everywhere varies the rules. The portuguese here use there card for all travel within Europe only needing passport for the rest of the world. They even travel to UK with it, I've travelled with them when they've done it. No questions asked at passport control of them, they were just let through at Liverpool, on showing the card. Hard to fathom sometimes what the rules really are. My German daughter in law also travels between Germany and UK on hers. This may all change after January though.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
I don't see me getting far with my flimsy sheet of A4 paper confirming Portuguese residency.

When is it likely to be possible to exchange it for something more sturdy and convincing?

- W

RAI

Visit site
I don't see me getting far with my flimsy sheet of A4 paper confirming Portuguese residency.

When is it likely to be possible to exchange it for something more sturdy and convincing?

- W
I think your passport remains your travel document. Carry the A4 sheet folded up inside it. The immigration officer will expect it volunteered. One got cross with me when I failed to show my Aufenthaltserlaubniss in Munich.
Now I think everything is in a computer somewhere, it has been for a long time in Germany. The paper is just for you to have something to wave.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
I think your passport remains your travel document. Carry the A4 sheet folded up inside it. The immigration officer will expect it volunteered. One got cross with me when I failed to show my Aufenthaltserlaubniss in Munich.
Now I think everything is in a computer somewhere, it has been for a long time in Germany. The paper is just for you to have something to wave.

It is just 80gsm A4, albeit with an embossed stamp. Folding it in 4 would quickly wreck it.

I think a photocopy in the passport and the original safe in the hand luggage is probably the answer.

- W

Clancy Moped

Visit site
It is just 80gsm A4, albeit with an embossed stamp. Folding it in 4 would quickly wreck it.

I think a photocopy in the passport and the original safe in the hand luggage is probably the answer.

- W
Double check! If you laminate your Spanish NIE which is paper credit card size, it makes it null and void, maybe its different in Portugal, if you can it might be worth it, as it will be on your boat, which of course will be prone to damp.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Double check! If you laminate your Spanish NIE which is paper credit card size, it makes it null and void, maybe its different in Portugal, if you can it might be worth it, as it will be on your boat, which of course will be prone to damp.

It's not going to be laminated, just in a polypocket book.

The copy can be folded and put into an old RYA certificate folder.

- W

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

Portugal have the same rules, laminating original documents can invalidate them. They do however accept photocopies of some.

starfire

Visit site

I've always kept the original residencia safe & carry a laminated copy with me.
No problems so far ...
My NIE is still the A4 sheet, very few places ask for an up to date one (Its only valid for 3 months)
Those that do get it pointed out that the number never changes, its also my tax & vat number.

capnsensible

Visit site
Seems to be OK to laminate them here in the islands. Have applied for new one with fingerprints. Took weeks to get the initial appointment. Then the Forty day wait for the card has been extended because one of the two office staff that's doing them has gone on maternity leave. The joys of island life!

I've learnt to be tranquil, ignore noise and be patient with everything in the entire universe. ?

Clancy Moped

Visit site
We were strongly advised not to laminate it.... We went through the same process with the TIE as you, but twice as the wording was wrong, a cock up in Madrid apparently, all good now mind?

Alicatt

Visit site
We are awaiting biometric residency cards here in Belgium, should around the middle of January before they are rolled out, the nice lady in the local Gemeentehuis (council offices) advised me this week I should expect mine around 14th Jan, I applied for residency last July and I can't swap my driving licence until I get my ID card
I do have an A4 "Attest van Woonst" that officially states my registered address where I'm resident at my house here:
woonattest1.jpg

Last edited:

greeny

Visit site
Have you seen the latest from SEF about having to apply for the new residency certificate in Portugal. All online. Just did mine for myself and wife this evening and downloaded the certificates to show we've started the process. Apparently will need this certificate alongside the old residence document/card for the future (after 2020) until its been replaced. Came as a surprise to me as I thought the last instruction was to do nothing and wait. Not so!
Links here.
General guidance on the new residence permits for UK nationals under the Withdrawal Agreement – BREXIT
General guidance on the new residence permits for UK nationals under the Withdrawal Agreement – BREXIT
SEF - Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras

Alicatt

Visit site
I was informed today that new "rules" were coming in to force with regards to UK citizens, Brexit and Belgian residency, the new frame work arrived in the gemeente yesterday and they are doing an online training next week for it, the lady in charge of the vreemdlingen (immigrants) at our local gemeente has not had time to read it yet but she said she would let me know after the training next week.

nortada

Visit site
Many thanks Greeny, I will get onto this tomorrow.

- W

Best of luck.

As somebody who recently got temporary residency, it will be very interesting to hear how you get on.

Are you planning to leave the Schengen Zone in the near future❓

As a resident in Portugal you shouldn’t have problems travelling between Portugal and the U.K.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Are you planning to leave the Schengen Zone in the near future❓

As a resident in Portugal you shouldn’t have problems travelling between Portugal and the U.K.

We have stuff to sort out in Scotland - we had originally planned to be home for Christmas, but engine woes and the sheer pointlessness of it all due to the covid situation have prevented that.

Now planning to go back end of January for a few weeks. The new temporary doc on the phone with a QR code sounds as though it will make life easier.

- W

greeny

Visit site

- W
Many thanks Greeny, I will get onto this tomorrow.

- W
I don't know if it's mentioned in the info but when you register the first time you need to create a password in SEF. You must have a capital, a lower case, a number and a "special character like ! or£ " in that password or it just rejects it. I fell for that one and got a bit frustrated. Once you've got in its easy and you download a pdf certificate that you can print out.