Bilge and locker paints

Poignard

Visit site
International and Blakes offer paint specially for use in bilges and lockers, e.g. Danboline.

Apart from being labelled "Bilge and Locker Paint", in what way is this different from any other paint? Why does painting inside a locker need a special type of paint?

SimonD

Visit site
Oooo I wish I'd known that before I did my forepeak locker last weekend. It was cold, the paint took ages to dry and it stank - you were spot on! /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Mind you, it looks great now.

Simon

Poignard

Visit site
That's interesting. Presumably the good adherence is desirable because of the difficulty in properly preparing the surface inside a locker.

reeac

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
International and Blakes offer paint specially for use in bilges and lockers, e.g. Danboline.

Apart from being labelled "Bilge and Locker Paint", in what way is this different from any other paint? Why does painting inside a locker need a special type of paint?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a great fan of Danboline. Apart from boaty uses, I even used some that I had in stock to change the colour of a new black painted aluminium rainwater down pipe to white - one coat did it and it's lasting well.

mikefleetwood

Visit site
I always understood these "special" paints were resistant to oil and other stuff found in bilges. Anybody got a view on this (before I go out and buy some)?

mikefleetwood

Visit site
Is it as resistant to spilt diesel as the real thing? I have a single cylinder Lister with the fuel tank perched on top, and can see diesel getting slopped everywhere when re-fueling! I thought the Seagull on the punt was bad enough!