Beta 14 no secondary fuel filter - how to bleed air?

DangerousPirate

Visit site
Hello, I am unsure about the procedure on how I am supposed to bleed the air? I spent a few hours the other day looking all over the engine trying to find the fuel filter on it, but there is none. Only the primary bulkhead one.

Now normally you would undo a screw on top a little, then pump more diesel through until it starts to bubble out without. I learned to do this with my old engine. Now what do I do though?

Supertramp

Visit site
Bleeding is usually by loosening the bolt on top of the filter housing and use the lift pump lever until bubbles stop. No need to mess with injectors.

chrishscorp

Visit site
Older ones have the filter further aft on the std side.

Beat me to it, if it has never been changed and that is a possibility it will still be painted red

I changed mine once pita so everytime i do it now i put a squeezy fuel primer bulb into the return line a short hose off that into a glass jar with 1/2'' of diesel in the bottom keep squeezing till no more air reconnect the return line and fire her up.

DangerousPirate

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, but the engine just doesn't have one. I looked, someone else looked, we didn't find any. The fuel line goes through the primary, bulkhead filter then runs down to the starboard side and basically straight into the engine.

I wanted to attach a picture, but its too large. Maybe later I can resize it. But just take my word for it

DangerousPirate

Visit site
I would be genuinely very surprised if that is the case, I got our boat it had a Beta 20 in there I changed both filters when i got it, the engine one being sprayed red so would have been 7 years old at that point !
Well, I was surprised, too. But there is no filter. Looked with the manual and pictures together and spent a lot of time considering buying glasses, but there is no filter on the top left hand side when looked into the engine bay - where it is supposed to be. Followed the fuel line and it goes pretty much straight in to the engine.

Here are two pictures, one is the engine in the engine bay, the other one is a close up to the fitting where the fuel hose connects to. There is just no filter, and no screw to bleed it. There is the little lever to manually pump the fuel though.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
the older beta 14 engines had the fuel filter tucked away behind the sump pump, I have attached a photo of mine with an arrow to show where it is.
Have you contacted beta Marine?
Beta 14.jpg

chrishscorp

Visit site
Well, I was surprised, too. But there is no filter. Looked with the manual and pictures together and spent a lot of time considering buying glasses, but there is no filter on the top left hand side when looked into the engine bay - where it is supposed to be. Followed the fuel line and it goes pretty much straight in to the engine.

Here are two pictures, one is the engine in the engine bay, the other one is a close up to the fitting where the fuel hose connects to. There is just no filter, and no screw to bleed it. There is the little lever to manually pump the fuel though.

If you look at your second picture, right at the back all sprayed red apart from a bit thats missed you can see some small writing. I could be wrong but i think that is it.

BabaYaga

Visit site

Looking at your 1st picture, a little bit above where the throttle cable attaches to the throttle lever, you can see a bolt head protuding, pointing left and slightly upwards.
That is the bleed screw of the injection pump.
There is a hose, reddish in colour and held in place by some lightet cable ties, connecting to this fitting from somewhere at the rear of the engine.
My guess is that you will find the secondary filter at the end of that hose. Possibly monted not on the engine, but remotely on a bulkhead or similar.

DangerousPirate

Visit site
Okay, I investigated a little and looked at that, I took a picture.
I see where it all leads, below MAYBE is a filter (cant access it due to no room) but I definitely see no bleeding screw.

The bleeding screw from the injection pump would work, too, or not? Not sure. Don't want to mess around with the injection just to try stuff. If yes can you put a pointer for me so I can be 100%? Then I'd just bleed the air through there and buy a secondary filter later when I have time for that.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Looking at your latest pic, I am 99% certain I can see the filter, it’s precisely where my picture writhe arrow puts it, you can’t recognise it because it is painted completely red, it is to the right of the sump pump and immediately behind the two pipes to the right of the sump pump.
Should have said the two pipes are thé in/out of the filter.

DangerousPirate

Visit site
Looking at your latest pic, I am 99% certain I can see the filter, it’s precisely where my picture writhe arrow puts it, you can’t recognise it because it is painted completely red, it is to the right of the sump pump and immediately behind the two pipes to the right of the sump pump.
Should have said the two pipes are thé in/out of the filter.
I think you are right, and thought so when I wrote my last comment already, but I can't 100% verify it atm as I am restricted by space. Can't even get my hand in there. If it's the filter and I ever need to change it, I'll be buggered.

Still don't see the bleeding screw.

BabaYaga

Visit site
The bleeding screw from the injection pump would work, too, or not? Not sure. Don't want to mess around with the injection just to try stuff. If yes can you put a pointer for me so I can be 100%? Then I'd just bleed the air through there and buy a secondary filter later when I have time for that.

In my experience (from the 3 cylinder version of the engine, roughly the same age), the screw on the injection pump works well for bleeding after having changed the primary filter. I do have a bleed screw also in the secondary filter head, but I don’t touch this unless that filter is also replaced (not very often).

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Can you cut an access hole in a bulkhead near the filter? It can have a simple small hatch cover, or a door, to close it off normally.

Otherwise (or perhaps anyway) have a word with Beta, and see if they can provide fittings from the later version of the same engine (which has the filter mounted at the front of the engine) to assist you in relocating yours.