Best time to buy - pricewise?

FerrymanR

Visit site
Looking back over copies of YM there seems to be some seasonal variation in second hand prices. Obviously there are other factors but when do 'you' ( there should be a plural of 'you') think is a good time to buy for best price?
Richard

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldgit

Visit site
only ever buy if at least 1" of ice on water round proposed purchase.Also wait until berthing fees are due at marina. IMHO.
Always bid about 50% below asking price/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>My little Princess/forums/images/icons/laugh.gifthe 33 of course.Shame its not just a bit bigger.

FerrymanR

Visit site
I like your comment about 50% below asking price. I often wonder how much below asking price that the sale price ends up. I'm the idiot that paid full asking price - I should have haggled and saved myself a packet. I have noticed only one broker that updates the web site with actual sale price and 'SOLD' tag.
Richard

<hr width=100% size=1>

Samphire

Visit site
Certainly best time to buy is between end of season and Christmas,when almost aneveryones thoughts are elsewhere.However with regard to bidding 50% below asking price ,thats plain daft.I know sellers and brokers up the price to allow for a drop,but if you do your homework re values vis a vis type of boat,inventory,age etc you will know by and large what a specific boat is worth.Perhaps a bid of 10 to 20% below asking would be reasonable.If I was selling through a broker and had a bid 50% below the asking price passed on to me by that broker I would give that broker the push.
Samphire

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Logic says between the end of the season and Christmas, but bear in mind that if you buy then you are going to have to pay 6 months storage and insurance before you even hoist a sail in pleasure.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

FerrymanR

Visit site
I had realised 50% was unrealistic but you have suggested more realistic figures. I have seen one that went 30% below (based on the little information published) but I found an average of nearer 8%. I guess one should offer about -12% and then haggle. £12K off £100K is not to be sneezed at.
My wife tells me that I am so inept that I would probably offer 10% over the asking price........ Any offers on a well worn wife?
Richard

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Case in point

I paid the full asking price. Several people ahead of me in the queue had attempted to haggle the price down and been told where to stow themselves by the retiring owner (who had had her for 33 years). That was 19 years ago and when and if I pass her on it will be at the full price, likewise, whatever that price may be!

<hr width=100% size=1>

DavidP

Visit site
Hi

I think it all depends on the seller at the time summer or winter and how badly they need to sell.
Take me for instance, my boat is up for sale ,i dont need to sell it and i am not bothered if i do or dont, but i will only sell it at the price i want , so as for a price reduction i would take off no more than 5%.

Dave.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Samphire

Visit site
Very true,but unless you buy a new shiny white thing I imagine the few months between Christmas and the new season can be well spent ashore going over the boat and doing various jobs.
Samphire.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
Not too sure about the U.K. but in the Med the best time to buy is definitely at the end of the summer season when owners have had thier fun and are facing the prospect of all those mooring and maintanance bills in the winter months. Regarding asking prices this is one of the most frustrating aspects of brokerage, to try and explain to a client that one yacht can be bought well below the asking price (50% is not unheard of) while others are being marketed at a realistic price and the client should not expect to secure the purchase for much less than 10% below the asking price is nigh-on impossible. The only advise we offer is to completely ignore the asking price and make a decision (either through your own research or in consultation with a professional) and decide what a particular yacht IS WORTH TO YOU, then decide on a maximum budget, offer 10-20% below that and start negotiating.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
What you want...

...is to find someone who is selling the old boat to buy new. And then you want to make them an offer the day they have received the final invoice for the new boat! Maybe this is most likely to happen in the Spring?

(I bought my boat mid-Summer, when the owners were already sailing around in their new boat, and were paying for two boats.)

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

B

bob_tyler

Re: Single

"Single of you is 'thou' "

Is that what you will use in conversation from now on? You're going to get some funny looks!

Good to see you in the NMMC a little while ago.

Bob

<hr width=100% size=1>

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
It depends upon the vendors situation - stock boats - back on of the season onwards, motivated seller - find out reason for sale then decide, stick out seller - anytime.

I lost a season by holding out a few years ago, all the used versions went by April, delivery on new was 6 months.

Bought a stock boat last October and saved a fortune - or look at it another way, got a bigger and new boat than had thought possible for budget.

If the boat is right get it, the time spent fannying around trying to save a few quid is too valuable to waste - that's my lesson.

<hr width=100% size=1>