Best Summer destinations (advice please)

rog

Visit site
We bought our first boat last Summer, moored in the Solent. and are now thinking about an extended cruise next Summer for probably a couple of weeks.

Consequenly, we would be grateful for suggestions of a possible itenary and/or advice as to which are the best places to visit.
We have crossed the Channel and do fancy a longer stay in France, but should we head West Country instead or, if France, do we go East or West of Cherbourg?

We don't yet have a tender and with a fairly small bathing platform, we woulld prefer not to presumably spoil the enjoyment/use of our aft cockpit with a hanging tender closeby - is this sensible/feasible?

Generally, as far as boating is concerned,we seem to find we prefer the messing about/chilling-out/relaxing bit, especially at an interesting/idyllic/lively destination rather than the actual distance travelling, which fortunately has been rather uneventfully boring, so far.

All replies, from the seriously serious to the witty, humorous and totally off-the-point will be much appreciated/enjoyed (all allowed because I say so and it is my thread, after-all!)

Rog

lanason

Visit site
What sort of boat do u have ?? Engines etc ??
Do u have kids with u and if so what ages are they ??

This is vital information if the powers that be on here are going to give you really useful information

Adrian :))

jfm

Visit site
I'm based in Solent, not done a trip that long (in terms of days, not miles). Guernsey/Jersey definitely worth a visit, fab location imho especially St Peter Port, and a good nav challenge. Perhaps Solent - Channel Islands - West Country - Solent. Then on the last leg home you have any weather/waves behind you, and dont have a long leg crunching into waves. That's what I was planning over the Easter weekend. Most places will have marinas as you know, the few that dont (Braye, Salcombe, etc) have water taxis. So I wd think your idea to keep your deck space and not take a tender makes sense. We have a tender and never ever use it except for kids to play in while berthed in marinas

ari

Visit site
West country excellent destination.

Easy cruise due eastish from Portland Bill about two-three hours across Lyme Bay will put you in Torbay, marinas in Torquay (town centre so shops and resurants within easy walk) or Brixham (fishing port/holiday resort).

Then you've got the River Dart 10 miles further on, 10 miles of spectacular scenery, Dartmouth stunning old town, three marinas just the most beautiful area.

Then another maybe 15-20ish miles and you've got Salcombe. No marina but plenty of visitors buoys and a yacht taxi so no need for dinghy. Another amazingly beautiful place.

Then Plymouth another 10 miles or so I think. Big port, several marinas, Barbican, superb aquarium, city centre.

Then Fowey, Falmouth, Helford River etc again absolutely lovely and easy mornings cruie from one to the next.

AND none of this shallow water and sandbanks nonsense you get in the Solent. Apart from a few rocks (marked on charts and pretty visible anyway) if you are about a mile off shore theres nothing much to hit/run aground on.

Thoroughly recommend it.

Worth getting a bok called Westcountry Cruising by Mark Fishwick I think. Invaluable.

Good luck.

Rabbit

Visit site
Hi there, I would highly recommend the MBM cruise in company to Normandy. You will meet other like minded people, so will the kids and its exceiting for them. I find it important to keep up their interest. Loads to do, or not as you choose. It will be a starter pack in company. Good luck. regards Les.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
If you've been to France, I'll gess that the boats big enough or at least your daft enough for extended cruises.

Yes long sea trips are boring, Its a bit like going up the M1 M6 etc. But eventualy when all local places have been visited, there comes a point when you have to travel to the next good area.

I've done the Cherbourg, Chanel Isles, Britainy thingy a few times and all good fun, also Poole, Solent etc, many times.

But for fun short trips, easy harbours, loads of nice rivers and beaches. You cant beat the trip down to Cornwall. With odd exeption of Lime bay. Which is a 50 mile treck across. But still its shorter than going to Cherbourg or where ever.

IMHO. You need a dinghy. and outboard. Ok you can manage without. But then not visit the little places, Like Agatha Chrispies Island. Or anchor in Loe bay for a trip to the pub for lunch.

Cor's All dependes on the weather and time. But From Pool Take a gentle cruise down to Lulworth Cove. You can anchor there and visit the village, pubs etc. Then look at the rock formations just further down. Follow the trip boats.
Then spend the night in Weymouth.
Your nexr choice is across Lyme Bay 50-60 miles. to Torquay, Brixham, Dartmouth, Salcolmbe. Take your pick or go to all. But dont miss Salcolmbe. Next its about 17 miles across Bigbury Bay. But if weather good, amble round it to Bure Island. Agatha "Crispies" place. Good stop for dinner, pub, beach, swiming, walk. Other rivers around the bay but dependant on tide.

River Yelm, well worth a visit, Pontoon in middle of river, taxi a bit, well maybe so dinghy best.

Round the corner to Plymouth. (My home port). Sutton Lock is best for the Barbican. Restraunts, pubs. Night life etc.

Amble down to Fowey. Stopping off at Loe Polpero first. Allonly 20 miles. Last stop IMHO is Falmouth and a day or too up the rivers. But not forgetting Helford river, Megavisy and Charles town to see the big Clipper ships. You wont visit it all in one trip, but do your best.
I cruse at 18-22 knots. If this helps in timmings. Send private message for more info. Get a pilot book.

Haydn

rog

Visit site
Adrian
Our boat's a Fairline 40 with TAMD63s 370hp=23knots aprx

Kids no longer kids - will be 19 & 17 and anyway probably won't tell us if the're coming 'till the last moment so they can keep options open in case anything "better" comes along. They'll only come if it suits them and if not too bad, so no need to worry about them.
Thanks
Rog

hlb

RIP
Visit site
I know what you mean about Kids. By the way there all refered to as Short people on here. Cant tell you why.

IMHO. You must get a dinghy for that boat. If wanting to cruise. Pool and Solent maybe not but in many other areas you will find it very limiting without one. Many places have mooring buoys and not marina's. Cor's all depends on your preferences.

With Torquay and Plymouth, loads for 17-19 year olds to do. But one of
mines just had first trip on boat for about ten years and loved it. He's 27 by the way. And just refound his love for boats. Anyway it's much more fun without them IMHO Cos there always arguing, getting bored and deciding they dont like some where before they've been! Best is to plead for them to come! Then sure that they wont.

Theres only the 2-3 hours across Lyme Bay, which can be a bit boring. But after that its all ambling about. Except of course its proper sea and not Pool harbour or Solent with protection from most seas. Best is to keep a good look at the 4-5 day forcasts and head for some where. Where theres plenty to do up river or in harbour. Depends what you like, but I head for Falmouth if theres bad weather comming up. Then spend a day or two pub crawling up and down the rivers till it improves. You can amble round plymouth looking at the battle ships. Or round the town. Dartmouth. Get on the town Quay early'ish cos theres not much space. But then right in the town. So again fine for bad weather.

Chanel Isles are great to of course but different. Masive tides means that you have to plan thiings much more carefully and really, limited to the big marinas with long distances between.

Oh! and wecome to the mad house. Watch out for the Kimatola that lurks here abouts.

Haydn

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Lyme Regis

If you come down on a neap tide with any wind offshore why not stop for lunch in Lyme Regis, you have a midday high and should be able to creep into the harbour and tie up alongside the Cobb. The Cobb Arms do excellent lunches and you can keep an eye on the boat. If you can't get in the harbour there are mooring buoys, but you will probably need a dinghy to get ashore unless you can persuade one of the lads on the self drive boats to give you a lift.

Very few people stop there, I love the place, easy pace of life and very attractive scenery.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re: Lyme Regis

Yes John but I/we were trying to send the poor bloke to nice easy places to get into and avoiding telling him about places like Exmouth and Lyme Regis. Did'nt want to put him off, before he got here proper! I got lost twice getting into Exmouth. and would'nt send ant stranger there on a bad day. Errumff or on a good one!!

Haydn

longjohnsilver

Visit site

It's a lovely place and anyone should ba able to find it. As for the Exe, we've been thru all that before, agreed probably best for inexperienced peeps to steer clear.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by longjohnsilver on Sat Jan 26 17:59:03 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

coliholic

Visit site
Not that I've done anything like this, but think I like jfm's suggestion sounds best. Though I'd tend to fancy first off the X channel to sort of N France\Dieppe ish then port hop all the way down to the C.I.'s then across to Cornwall and coast hop back to the solent.

Sounds a nice trip to me.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Very much agree. And I've done it, if the otherway around, ie Plymouth Channel Isles, Couple of spots down in Britainy then Tregiure, Then Gurnsey, Up to Solent and back down to Plymouth. Its great but the man said he likes to potter. That's more like a world cruise. Sh-sh we've got to train him gently. Before sending him off on mad vogages of discovery just for our fun!!

Haydn

rog

Visit site

Hayden
Much appreciate your concern but don't really fancy a Lyme Regis lunch stopover and anyway Longjohn's talk of neap tides, offshore winds and creeping about was just about enough to put me off, even if I had fancied it!
Been there (by car) a few years ago although I still remember a wonderful steak sandwich from the pub at the front, which presumably is the Cobb Arms in question
By the way, what's "errumff" mean? - not in any of the nautical reference books that I've seen.

coliholic

Visit site

Well Rog you being a newbie and all, I can only tell you how lucky you are to have got so much useful and understandable advise from Haydn. For your info, he's a Manwegian or from somehere equally obscure up norf and for years he's not been writing English. However there was a forum get together earlier this month and we all found out the problem with Haydn's writing. He can't speak English either. So we've all been teaching him and you've got the benefit of it. After all there's what, four replies from him here? And there's only one word you don't understand? Count yourself lucky. We've had posts from him in the past where we've been lucky to actually understand one word.

Having said that, it does seem that he knows his stuff about Cornwall and makes it sound quite attractive. If it wasn't for the danger that I might bump into him and then have to buy him beer for the evening\week to make up for taking the mick, I'd be sorely tempted to take my boat there. He makes the place sound almost civilized.

Nah on second thoughts France is a better option for you. Just in case you bump into him.

hlb

RIP
Visit site

Yes rog. Take no notice of dirty underpant types around here!!
Just toddle down to Torbay Dartmouth or where ever. Put avoid John underpants patch like the plague. All IMHO oF cource. ( He's not a bad bloke understand, It's just the parrot)!!

Haydn

hlb

RIP
Visit site

Rog. EErrummff means. Getting up steam to answer. Spelling is dependant on "verosatey". er so EEEEEEEeeeeerrrruuuuumfffff is only slightly different. But more of a point made. By the way, long passed judgement. All shpeling on here quite exeptionall!!

Haydn

longjohnsilver

Visit site

And I thought you were about to support me and Lyme, what with your family connexions there!! And you leave my mate Haydn alone you gurt big bully!!!

Haydn's quite right what he says about the west country, there really are loads of brill places to go and see. Plenty of good marinas, but the problem there is that every man and his dog head for these marinas and they can get pretty crowded. Also by just marina hopping you miss some of the very best places, such as Lyme, Topsham, Dittisham, Polperro, Burgh Island, Kingsand/Cawsand to name but a few.

If you are marina hopping then call into Brixham and have lunch or dinner in the Brixham Yacht Club, excellent food, good prices and the best views in Torbay. They welcome everyone and are so popular that for Sunday lunch you need to book about a week ahaed, other times shouldn't be a problem.

You could spend a whole season cruising the Westcountry and still not see it all. As someone else has said, get a copy of Westcountry Cruising by Mark Fishwick, the best guide around and in my opinion a good read, you can plan in advance where you want to head for, lots of good advice and piccies and route planners. He knows the area probably better than anyone.

Come on down, you won't be disappointed!