Best Summer destinations (advice please)

rog

Visit site
Best Summer destinations

OK - so far the score is Normand 1, West Country 4, plus a few additional votes for both. Whilst we certainly could do both on one trip, it's more travelling than "being there", so I think we'll go West Country only and I'll find out what Mark Fishwick's got to say about exactly where.

Now gotta plan when and hopefully chose a time when the weathers best - probably early August but problematic in view of Longjohn's advice about the crowded marinas.

Still prefer not to have a tender if I can get away with it - on other people's boats the thing always seem to be in the way and I like sitting in the cockpit looking at life etc etc without the thing in my view/blocking the view. Also not good for the balance of the boat.

Suppose what I really need is an inflatable I can inflate as and when I need it - think I saw a posting somewhere about a quick inflator(?) but cann't remember now. I'll look back or start a new thread.

Colin - thanks for the advice about Haydn but, although I'm a posting newbie, I've been a regular lurker for ages, since long before the disorganised rally and Hayden's name change - Kim doesn't track lurkers.
Neverthless can see that you much more experienced in these matters than I am and would appreciate your translation of "Put avoid John underpants patch like the plague". Mind you, he did post at 1.15am!

Rog

jfm

Visit site
Rog, we have the same boat BTW (a phantom 42 with the tamd63p engines). Where do you keep yours? You will find cross channel easy in that boat, an easy 2 hours45mins to Cherbourg from either tip of the IoW in good weather. Guernsey an hour and a bit longer. Just make sure you have autopilot and plotter, then it's a piece of cake. Need to time your trip right if going to Channel Islands, so do not hit wind against tide in the race, but basic enuf stuff. Look at Guernsey yacht club and marina website too (google finds it easily), loads of info there on tides and approaches and pilotage generally.

jfm

Visit site
Re: agree about tender

Rog, I completely agree with you about tender. If you have the shorter bathing platform on the Phantom 40 it has to go on davits and it's horrid and blocks your view. We have the longer platform and put our rib on chocks, which is better, but it's still a waste of space really. You are definitely right just to get an inflatable and elecky inflator. You will hardly use a tender anyway.

ToMo

Just outside Budapest or In the Med (Corfu)
Visit site
Re: Come on down

Oi!!! - just what do you think you are doing? aren't the traffic jams long enough for you? aren't there enough pink, half naked sweaty bodies flopped all over the place? isn't Haydn's Gin Palace enough terror for you? are there too many cream teas going begging and you want even more folk to stuff themselves?....just stop inviting the world and his wife down here....we came here to leave all that behind; so we could have exclusive enjoyment of it all!.....just tell everyone how much rain and wind and sunshine and pretty girls......aaah I got found out!!!
TôMö

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re:Dont!! agree about tender

All very well and good. But.
The tender can be dropped in the water anytime. It's the first thing I do when mooring. Also Tender is not the only thing.
If the boat is to be made ready for cruising, you need lots of extra things.Because your never to sure where will take your fancy and what equipment you may need.

Loads of rope needed, for high harbour walls. Or for instance you cant go to Megavisy. So miss out. No dinghy, so cant go to Loe. Cawsands, Bure Island, Helford river, Polpero. Cant anchor off the fun fair at Torquay and go swimming, fun fair and back to swiming all at the same time. Also must come home when water taxi closes at night, or cant get to that nice pub, beach, other thingy that takes your fancy. No exploring creeks, little rivers, no fun for kids, It's like having a house and no car. It's also the West Country. So much more to do than nasty Solent place IMHO of course. But maybe not all marinas and walk ashore all the time.
Just consulted with SHMBO on subject. Answer. "Well if thats what he wants to do, Let him" Not very helpfull, but you get her drift.

OF course you also need, two bikes, a plank, spare anchor, big round fenders, fishing rod, loads of spanners, spare fillters, torches, Oh and those ropes. Not little weedy things but propper big thick ones that wont break in a hurry.
A generator and spare gas bottle.

Read. West Country Cruising. The guy spends mor time in the dinghy than on his boat!

In a nut shell, if your only going to go marina to marina, you may as well go out, round in a circle and back to the same one. Cos there all the Bloody same. Get a life. Get a dinghy. And remember a dinghy is not just for Christmas, its for life!!!

Haydn

longjohnsilver

Visit site

For the very first time I actually agree with every word Haydn says, probably cos it's the first time I've actually understood every word!!!!!!

longjohnsilver

Visit site

Yup, I'll point anyone who wants to be an idiot in your direction!!! No better teacher!! ;-))

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Re: Lyme Regis

Agreed, ljs. We had an idyllic 3 days parked on one of the buoys off Lyme a couple of seasons ago in light offshore winds (would'nt like to be there in any kind of onshore wind though).Excellent beach for kiddies and plenty of watering holes for us. Harbourmaster said he never sees many motor boats which is a pity.
BTW have you been into Teignmouth? Pilot books put you off but I know quite large ships seem to get in and out OK

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Re: Best Summer destinations

Count my vote for W Country as well to make it 5-1 (where have I heard that score before?). For a first long cruise, the W Country would be a more gentle baptism. The Channel Islands and Brittany require more precise navigation and close attention to the tides and the sea can be very lumpy if you catch wind and tide wrong - definitely worth a visit later though
On the other hand most of the popular W Country ports can be entered at any state of the tide and the navigation is easier. Also, if the weather closes in for a few days you can always leave your boat, go home and return later
I think you definitely need a tender, though. Picking up a buoy or anchoring and pottering ashore is one of the great pleasures of boating and you could miss out on a lot even in the Solent

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re: Lyme Regis

Might be worth a visit then. Pilot book always puts me off. And besides it not on the way to anywhere. Taking Rog's comments. I always like to head for a safe harbour when crossing any distance at sea. In case the weather changes or I get some problem. It might be fine for a sail boat to ride out a sea till next high tide, but with power. your going to run out of fuel before that happens.
We'll see what Long John has to say.

Haydn

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re: Best Summer destinations

Yes Mike. Thats only one of the beauties of the West country. Tides dont count for most trips and I've seen me go weeks without having a clue what times they are. Untill maybe wanting to explore the top end of a river.
Theres no sand banks, nearly all Harbours are deap water. Few rocks so no need for navigation much. Either follow coast round or guess and cut the next bay out. All this of course if weather good. Now Britainy completly different. Rocks everywhere for miles around and Buoys and Cardinal markes all over, like spagety junction. Get one wrong and in deep shit.

Haydn

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Teignmouth

Yep I get there every now and again. Always feel a bit uncomfortable going in as the buoyage seems odd ie can never make out what is what. Always aim to get there towards high water and as it's usually lunch i go for then they are neap tides. Other problem with Teignmouth is the lack of visitors buoys, there is a a small pontoon but that is usually full and they don't like you tieing up alongside. I have also been told the HM is v unfriendly, threatened to cast off a mates boat who had only popped in for breakfast!

Having said all that, the pubs are great, the river is sheltered once in and there is plenty of sand for kids to play on. I tend to anchor just off the beach, and can keep an eye on the boat from the pub. Not an easy place but worth a visit - avoid onshore winds, SE are the worst.

tcm

Visit site
Re: francophile writes

Yes, the west country is fine. But sadly, here's the menu, darlin', you all togevver, be with you in a minute: Chips, beans eggs , beans eggs potatoes carrots, steak, overdone fish, chocolate cake + squirty cream, and tea with that luv? Or lager? No, we don't do expresso coffee but I have got some lukewarm brown poster paint. In other words, quite nasty.

Much better is france. Go to Deauville, St Malo. The beaches are better, and the very worst restaurant in either will be better that the best on the south coast of the UK. Ciro's on the beach in Deauville, and the Duchesse Anne (i think) in St Malo.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Good food guide

Tut tut matts shame on you being a man of the cloth, they must have seen you coming.There are some good places to eat and some places serving good food, all that's required is to find one that's both. They are there believe me, I was going to say half the pleasure is in finding them, but that's not really true.

agree though that French restaurants are generally better, but not always the case - mebbe they see me coming!!

tcm

Visit site
Re: merde, it\'s a brit

The secret is to always go by Michelin: Michelin listed (no, not with stars, just listed in the book) restaurant are proper places, everywhere else just goofing around for the brit yots. Think there only one or mebbe two in cherbourg, so get the book. Then, one has to explain to french that you want food an cofffee etc exactly as for frenchies: otherwise you get a watered-down coffee which doesn't enrage the brits who think they're being poisoned.

Likewise, in the mornings, the barman may offer customers "petit dejeuner". Canny Brit boaters will immediately refuse the foreign muck, and just have a cup of coffee perhaps with a breadroll, butter and jam.

tcm

Visit site
Re: flaming anticipated

i think I expected a flaming. Nonetheless, he knows I'm right.

Dartmouth food: That odd place with the upstairs/downstairs, candles. A massive lump of fish sir, or a very massive lump of fish? Wd you like a selection of vegetables with that? You mean carrots and peas and maybe broccholi? Er yes.

Torquay food: As above, all deep fried.

Fowy food: as above, with special seafood sauce, £5quid extra.

Elsewhere in SW: "Well if that wassisname TV chef in Padstow can get away with charging London prices for a lump of fish and some veg, whilst not actually cooking the damn stuff but more chance of bumping into him in the airport...we'll do it too! "

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Re: flaming anticipated

Matt just go for the fish and chip shop £2-50. and dont gripe.
Or we go to the fish shop and make our own. then cant gripe.
Fresh musseles and wine or scallops, or, crab, or lobster, or, iiiiiiittttttttttmmmmmuuuuussssstttttbeeee,beeeeedddddttttiiiimmmmmmeeeeeeeee.

Haydn