Best boat names

Visit site
One of my favorite naughty boat names was 'Our Soul' which said quickly on the radio was a little provocative. I am trying to think of a new name for my boat, currently is called 'Prowler' which isnt great but is better than what it was previously called which was 'Dolphin Prowler'.

dancrane

Visit site
I went for "Greymalkin", after the witch's cat in Macbeth...

...I'd hoped to repaint my green decks white, with side decks coated in grey Progrip non-slip. Unfortunately Pinnell & Bax no longer provide grey Progrip, but the name has stuck.

My sister wanted to call her cat Greymalkin, but she was afraid the neighbours would think she was calling "Malcolm". Which would be an odd name for a cat, more like a foreign secretary. And, it's best not to confuse your Macbeth characters. :rolleyes:

dancrane

Visit site
One of my favorite naughty boat names was 'Our Soul'.

I remember my dad speaking of his schooldays seventy, eighty years ago...Dover soles were served at lunch...

...my dad and his pals took issue with this, asking the master who sat keeping order at the table, "These look like plaice sir, are you sure they are soles?"

The master naively confirmed that they were. The boys then asked if the master could be sure that the fish were from Dover because they looked suspiciously French...

"But sir...they are our soles, aren't they?" After which they were rumbled, and discipline ensued. :rolleyes:

trying

Visit site
What about that unlucky to change a boats name thing? Only I couldn't put up with much more bad luck!

dancrane

Visit site
What about that unlucky to change a boat's name thing?

Utter balls.

And even if you were so medieval in beliefs as to trust in anything that preposterous, keeping the sort of wince-inducing name many people pick for their boats would be a real stain on your reputation. Do yourself and the boat a favour, and name her something flattering. Or just discreet.

LittleShip

Visit site
Boat names are incredibly personal, but the acid test for me is to insert it into this sentence:

Holyhead Coastguard, Holyhead Coastguard, Holyhead Coastguard this is xxxx, xxxx, xxxx, over.

If you then imagine everyone in range pissing themselves laughing, you've chosen the wrong name.

I always thought that Little Ship was a good name....

I had to call Holyhead some years ago and when the answer came back with laughter in the background " vessel calling Holyhead, please repeat your name" I replied this is Little Ship...... with a "P"

Tom.

trying

Visit site
Utter balls.

And even if you were so medieval in beliefs as to trust in anything that preposterous, keeping the sort of wince-inducing name many people pick for their boats would be a real stain on your reputation. Do yourself and the boat a favour, and name her something flattering. Or just discreet.

Glad its not just me that thinks so, had the conversation with someone on our pontoon a few years back and he was quite convinced that it was bad luck, obviously I didn't show it but I found it quite funny.

dancrane

Visit site
...someone on our pontoon a few years back...was quite convinced that it was bad luck, obviously I didn't show it but I found it quite funny.

Any loon who genuinely believes such nonsense, is unlikely to be the best guide on any subject that matters.

The self-perpetuating ignorance of rustic morons, enclosing live creatures in new walls 'for luck', and practicing their invariable, eccentric routines for fear of upsetting some overseeing power, needs its village-idiot teeth knocked down its throat.

Having said that, there was a nice Fisher 25 called Whimbrel anchored off Seaview, IoW in 1985...and I saw her again more than ten years later at Bembridge. But when I Google intelligently to see where such a boat with such a name may be today, I can find nothing. Bloomin' irritating, when new owners change a name. It's bad luck too, I've heard. :rolleyes:

Seajet

Visit site
Changing a boats' name is fine as long as one pours a tot over the side for Neptune.

I renamed my Scorpion ' Freebird ' after the song - well I was young and she had been called ' Wet Welly ' so that had to go !

Not a name, but I painted ' Don't Panic ' on the bottom in large friendly letters in the style of Hitchhikers Guide To The galaxy.

When we did a capsize test by the slip a bloke ran up and photographed it, but didn't pause to wonder if we were in trouble & he could help...:rolleyes:

trying

Visit site
Thankfully someone saw fit to rename ours before we had her... I wouldn't have been so keen on Poop Deck

dancrane

Visit site
That is funny. I must have a mean streak, but I always find it amusing when the people with the least depth of hull to worry about, still manage to get stuck in the shallowest water.

View attachment 42001

I hope the boat was called something like 'Whiskey & Soda'. :)