best bang for buck, raymarine vs garmin

st599

Visit site
Now that NMEA have deprecated 2k in favour of OneNet, it will be interesting to see where that goes.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Their products are all ‘standard N2K’ but some just use their own slimline connectors. You can easily chop their connector off and stick a devicenet micro connector on.

They are not standard N2K if they use STNG cables. If you chop the STNG connectors off you can't use them on STNG devices.
Off the top of my head

- all their current chart plotters (Axiom / Element) use devicenet connectors
- their AIS 700 and 4000 unit uses devicenet (but not the old AIS 350 which is SeatalkNG)
- their flagship Ray90/91 VHF is devicenet (but their Ray53/63 is SeatalkNG)

And their Autopilots use a euroblock style terminal just to mix it up a bit. It’s a mess.
EVO autopilots are STNG

i40, i50, i60, i70 etc etc are all STNG.

Having just plotters, some AIS and some VHF using devicenet does not equate to "Raymarine have mostly abandoned it on their new products". Nothing much has changed for several years (since the introduction of the Axiom range).

jfm

Visit site
This insane complexity is just self harming by Raymarine. They lost me as a loyal customer because of it.

Given that Raymarine are already on the back foot, they really should stop these things that just get in the way of people buying their stuff. When I say back foot, an example is that their 22 inch MFD is 1920 x 1080 pixels, while Garmin's 22 inch MFD is 3840 x 2160, so when you add their horrible proprietary connectors into the mix it's hard to see why anyone rational would buy Raymarine.

In the last few months my brother and i have bought between us 21 large MFDs for our own boats, all Garmin. Some years ago we would have gravitated naturally to Raymarine, but not now, and mostly because of Raymarine's annoying proprietary connectors.

jfm

Visit site
21!!!! I thought 3 was enough! 🙂
Not sure you can ever have too many! These are 9022 (22 inch). Before any "parallax" drawing merchants get their pens out, I can confirm that you can see over them and they don't block the view out at all :)

Build-600.jpg

PaulRainbow

Visit site
This insane complexity is just self harming by Raymarine. They lost me as a loyal customer because of it.

Given that Raymarine are already on the back foot, they really should stop these things that just get in the way of people buying their stuff. When I say back foot, an example is that their 22 inch MFD is 1920 x 1080 pixels, while Garmin's 22 inch MFD is 3840 x 2160, so when you add their horrible proprietary connectors into the mix it's hard to see why anyone rational would buy Raymarine.

In the last few months my brother and i have bought between us 21 large MFDs for our own boats, all Garmin. Some years ago we would have gravitated naturally to Raymarine, but not now, and mostly because of Raymarine's annoying proprietary connectors.
Completely agree.

There is also the issue of support, where Garmin are a World apart from Raymarine.

A couple of years ago i had a customers i60 that was about 3 years old and misted up inside every time the boat was left for a while. Raymarine said nothing they could do about it, it's out of warranty, also commenting that they were not hermetically sealed, should have bought an i70. At the same time i bought a used Garmin GHC20 form someone on Ebay, had a tiny scuff on the screen (hardly noticeable, but i'm fussy). Called Garmin to see what was available and they supplied a "refurbed" unit for £120

Recently had to contact them about a £2500 plotter problem, out of warranty at 3 years old, but they are supplying a refurb unit for £413, including post both ways and a new 12 month warranty.

Alicatt

Visit site
Garmin were very helpful when the Benelux charts developed a problem on my 95 UHD after an online update, they sent out a memory card that had the updated chart on it, and as my 95UHD was about 6 months older than the newest version of the UK charts they sent an additional card with the latest UK Ireland and Netherlands chart on it, this was all free of charge, a big thanks to Garmin.

I have been using Garmin products since about 1998.

47GC

Visit site
Not sure you can ever have too many! These are 9022 (22 inch). Before any "parallax" drawing merchants get their pens out, I can confirm that you can see over them and they don't block the view out at all :)

Build-600.jpg
What screen or screen is tied into the infotainment system? Titanic anyone? 😂🛥️