Berth Booking App.

James_Calvert

Visit site
The lack of visitor berths can be a problem on the English side of the Channel. Even then there are many places still where you can just turn up and somewhere can be found.

But with many marinas now dependant on resident boats being away, I don't see how any app can change their situation. There's no such thing as a "live" position more than a few hours in advance ie when a marina knows a berth has become vacant. And where visitor berths are available in a popular area, why would a marina want to commit to bookings days or weeks away in preference to filling up on the day?

Czech Mate

Visit site
The lack of visitor berths can be a problem on the English side of the Channel. Even then there are many places still where you can just turn up and somewhere can be found.

But with many marinas now dependant on resident boats being away, I don't see how any app can change their situation. There's no such thing as a "live" position more than a few hours in advance ie when a marina knows a berth has become vacant. And where visitor berths are available in a popular area, why would a marina want to commit to bookings days or weeks away in preference to filling up on the day?
Yes I quite agree with a lot of what you say. There are two types of visitor berths. Ones which have an annual berthholder who needs to go out to create one, and a vacant berth. Of course the latter can be booked in advance but there aren’t many of these now. Knowing the live situation of the former is the critical factor. I can spend half an hour on a Friday ringing different marinas looking for somewhere to go, knowing full well that the second I put the phone down, a berth may have become free. So unless I want to ring my preferred marina every ten minutes, I have to change my plans. And heaven forbid I want to go out for a meal in the evening as getting a table at the last minute in a popular seaside destination is just as hard.
Using the app, when a berthholder goes out the marina uploads it’s availability. Firstly, all the boat owners who selected it as a favourite will receive an email. Secondly I can check my app periodically without annoying all the marinas. I can can see in seconds what is available which would take 20-30 minutes by phone. And by phone you only really get one roll of the dice unless you want to really annoy the marinas. Of course you can go on the waiting list but that’s even worse. You are in limbo! Your point about the incentive for marinas is quite valid but it will reduce the considerable amount of phone calls they receive, and it will ensure that they can tell the world about last minute availability. How often have you sat in a marina and seen empty berths around you on a Saturday evening, in an apparently “full” marina. These are often due to last minute cancellations, or no shows.
There are marinas who see the merit in this, and some who don’t. Just like boat owners. It may not get traction, but I’m prepared to invest my own money to find out to try make boating a little easier for everyone. I am a boat owner not an app developer - this is not my day job!

Stemar

Visit site
In the Netherlands there is the Blue Water App, which lets you book a berth and pay for it. As far as I can judge, it works ok
That would make more sense. If I've paid, I'm far more likely to turn up and, even if I don't, the Marina's got their money, so they haven't lost out. From my point of view, I'm more likely to find a spot to book, because there won't be people double booking. As a marina operator, I'd add a condition to the effect that if you haven't shown up or called by a couple of hours after your ETA, we'll give your place to an unbooked boat, though I wouldn't enforce that on a boat coming from far away.

Gwylan

Visit site
Several years enjoying the Netherlands experience taught us several things.
Relevant here is the coloured board that was somewhere on your pontoon.

Red on one side, green on the other.

If you were going for a day sail you left the red side showing.
If you were going for longer you turned it to the green side. You chalked the date of return on it. If you were confident then you could include a time .

Then on arrival at a new mooring you wandered up and down the pontoons and found one that suited boat size and timing. Paid in the office, or the honesty box and everything was fine.

We never had any problem returning to our mooring and finding it occupied either.
Worked for us
Apocryphal story that the Americans developed a special pen for writing in space and the Russians took pencils. Then I wonder how do you sharpen a pencil in space?

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
This is my app. It does not have a section “specifically to deal with boat owners booking multiple berths on the same day.” the app is not live, nobody has seen it so I’m not sure why you are claiming to know what is has or doesn’t have.

I presume you are referring to my Facebook post which said this…”Hi David. Yes I’ve no doubt that multiple bookings do not improve the situation and it would be easy for the app to not allow them. However, it’s unlikely this would stop the practice and would just force people to do it outside of the app. At least if it’s in the app they will receive a reminder and eventually (on the day) they will need to select which berth they wish to keep or both will cancelled. This will stop the “no shows” when people forget to cancel.”
No, just your home page where it says "Receive automatic email reminders to cancel if you have booked two marinas for any given night(s) "

Czech Mate

Visit site
Yes it would be quite easy to have an owner to owner platform and I did consider it as an option. However the marinas would not accept berth holders being able to control their visitor berthing. There are a couple of other related options along this route if marina uptake is insufficient!

HappyAfloat

www.happyafloat.com
Yes it would be quite easy to have an owner to owner platform and I did consider it as an option. However the marinas would not accept berth holders being able to control their visitor berthing. There are a couple of other related options along this route if marina uptake is insufficient!

I was thinking more along the lines of privately owned moorings or small clubs that don't have the resources to run their own system. Allowing them to rent a mooring would increase the number of options available to visiting boats to an area.

Moodysailor

Visit site
FWIW, I think this app is a great idea. Boating time is so precious and limited, I just don't have, or want, to spend the time phoning around to see where I could get in.
I can't see an honesty box or Dutch style system working in the UK due to the mentality.