Bembridge Harbour

SL23

Visit site
I have a 23 feet bilge keel boat and would like to visit Bembridge Harbour.

Can anyone advise the best place to dry out on the beach and the best way to set the anchors.

I spend most of my time visiting marinas or mooring bouys so this will be new to me.

Many thanks

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldharry

Visit site
There is an allocated area of beach just inisde the harbour to port for boats to dry out, which is clearly marked. Anchoring elsewhere is not permitted or advisable because of old mooring chains. Otherwise continue up the harbour following the channel as it turns to starboard, and you will reach the visitors pontoons on the North side above the Hovercraft and boat yards. Bembridge is a popular destination at this time of year, so it is advisable to get there in good time to get a reasonable spot.

Most people lie head to the beach - run the bower up a little way, and lay a kedge out astern, but when it is busy you need to be haul in tight to hold the boat in place as there is a reverse eddy that runs towards the harbour mouth on the rising tide.

If you beach your boat there is a chandlery and boatyard within a few hundred yards walk, and not too far up to the shops etc, but its a long walk to get anywhere from the pontoons.

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by oldharry on 11/08/2003 08:22 (server time).</FONT></P>

Rob_Webb

Visit site
I used to run my boat up the beach until the keels touched about 1hr before/after HW - so you get a nice long period of being dried out but know you will float off on the next tide with confidence. Also, the higher up the beahc you dry out, the more level it is - if you run up the beach closer to low water I remember the beach shelves more steeply and you would find yourself very nose high.

After driving myself firmly onto the sand I would then run out the anchors, using the dinghy for the stern kedge as my throwing arm isn't that strong!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rob_Webb

Visit site
I seem to remember there was a charge but it was less than for the 'proper' pontoon moorings further up the harbour - but it's a while since I had a bilge-keeler and did this, and I can't honeslty remember how much. Sorry.

<hr width=100% size=1>

johnneale

Visit site
If its relatively calm - dont bother going into the harbour, go bout 100 yards east of the fort then due south until you touch on good hard sand bout 1 - 2 hours after high water - not in the harbour therefore its FREE !!!!!! - (about the only place on the south coast)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rob_Webb

Visit site
But with caution

To be fair, I wouldn't recommend this for a newcomer to beach mooring. As oldharry says below it can soon become uncomfortbale (even dangerous) if a large ship's wake emerges at the wrong moment as your are just going on or coming off. And of course the weather could change. So for a first-timer I'd recommend swallowing the (modest) cost in favour of the more sheltered harbour beach option.

<hr width=100% size=1>

andy_wilson

Visit site
Tidal range and getting neaped.

Grounding HW +/- 1 hr.

Given the rate of change of tidal range at Bembridge you would be unlikely to get neaped if you ground HW +/- 1hr.

PROVIDED that there is no significant increase in air pressure or change in wind direction.

Either of these additional factors could leave you fast at the next HW and there isn't that much to do in Bembridge to stay a fortnight (though the secondhand bookshop in St. Helens could occupy me for a fair old chunk of time).

Should be fine on an increasing tidal range, but otherwise do the tidal calcs. and know the forecast.

<hr width=100% size=1>

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com
Second hand bookshops

Oh good, another second hand bookshop to cruise to on the IOW. Any others you know apart from Yarmouth?

<hr width=100% size=1>John
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.allgadgets.co.uk>http://www.allgadgets.co.uk</A>
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by milltech on 14/08/2003 12:23 (server time).</FONT></P>

jthehurley

Visit site
Re: But with caution

i have a 22 foot bilge keeler and attempted bembridge as my first drying out on a beach and completed it with relative ease. If one always 'swallows the cost' how will they learn.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rob_Webb

Visit site
Re: But with caution

I meant swallow the cost of drying out on the beach INSIDE the harbour rather than outside. That will still be a learning experience. I didn't mean go up and moor on the pontoons.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Agreed . having bounced on there !

Enter through the cut, have kedge ready as you turn to port and round up onto the inner beach ...... not hard to see where - you won't be first boat there !! Drop kedge as you approach beach and keep going till touch sand. Drop bower and then back off taking in kedge rode. Stop and when you get off - you can always take the bower further up beach if you want ...... NEVER stay at the point when you touch if its HW - you may not get off when HW comes again.... so back off a little to give a few cms of water safety margin.

Beware of the soft sand lower down the beach ..... no problem just doesn't be kindly to good shoes !!!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>Nigel ...
Bilge Keelers get up further ! I only came - cos they said there was FREE Guinness !