Being polite to stinkies

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
It is quite a good forecast this weekend, although little wind, so all down to the boat. Thing is, pound to a penny, have no doubt that quite a few stinkies will be firing their engines up, not going anywhere, and creating huge amounts of fumes that seem to linger forever.

What is the best way to tell them to bog off?

And, do we need a Ken Livingstone congestion type charge for poluters?

tr7v8

Visit site
In Gillingham it always seems to be the Raggies starting up and filling the place with smoke.
And none of you can manage to tie a Halyard up so it doesn't bang...bang... bang...bang.
Given the recent winds we've had around Kent you can't hear yourself think in Gillingham for the racket.
Me? the only noise I've made recently is dropped spanners and a lot of swearing!

Jim
--------

tcm

Visit site
Hmm. This is a very serious problem. First of all you need to be determined. Pay no heed to the size of boat, nor the fact that you wife and daughters are already sunbathing semi-nude on the foredeck of the largest stinkiepotter . Approach, hail and then tell him in no uncertain terms that the over-specc'd diesel engine is completely unnecessary for the size of boat, and certainly doesn't need to be running all afternoon. He'll probably say something banal like "But,But... that's just one of the generators - I was simply trying to make more ice for your arrival -shall I turn the other one on instead - it's a bit further away?" Just punch him smartly one the nose, and he'll soon get the message. Tsk!

david_e

Hey man, I'm a child of the sixties; make lurve not war. As mucky as these boats are, they wouldn't want to spoil the appearance even further with SWMBO half naked on the foredeck, neighbours would think they had been out whaling.

Working on the principle that stinkpots are owned by: motor dealers, drug dealers, gangsters or hairdressers - there is a 100% chance I would get punched back. (it should be 75%, but we alll know hairdressers wouldn't tolerate the fumes 'cause it would mess up the perm)

david_e

Problem with not having your halyards frapping is people can't get to sleep without the gentle soothing rythm of tap, tap, tap.

I wasn't going to mention the swearing but.......

tcm

Visit site
Re: stinkiepotters - the truth

Hah. Lots of people are fooled by stinkiepotter bravado. Dark glasses, rippling muscles, loads of bimbos and a massive hulking boat. But, deep down they are very insecure. After all, a real drug dealer would be out in Bogota shooting down the Milton Keynestas or whatever. So, be brave! Er if 75% are hairdressers, why not ask for a cut and blow, and see if they can help out? Okay, a rinse and superwax. Hey, someone's gotta break the ice...

tcm

Visit site
Re: Being polite about sailing boats

Hm. You can't really call a saloon in a sailyboat a "lounge" for the same reason that you couldn't call the sailing boat's cabins "bedrooms", what with their very narrow and nasty bus-seat-style foam rubber cushions. And the same applies to even very large and expensive sailboats like Oyster, no carpet on the floors even next to the bed which would be a nice thought seeing as how the things cost £1.6 effing million Mr twat boat salesman this is the wife you're selling to not me you plonker cos lots could have one tomorrow IF the kitchen had a slightly better fitout than a 60 grand 35 footer or indeed a 10 grand caravan or IF the ensuite facilities for example weren't so rubbish that they must still be called "heads" in sailing boats to avoid anyone getting the silly idea that you might actually want to have a shower in there, god forbid, much better to get out of the damn boat and schlep 200 yards to the toilet block rather than use that hm? er sorry, this set me off one one.

david_e

Re: stinkiepotters - the truth

Ok, so wander calmly down the pontoon, a few steps past offendi boat - then let out screaming banshi wail - turn back (element of surprise) jump on board - then ignore growling rotweiler, rippling muscles, bodyguard, visiting engineer having cuppa in engine room and say - can I have a No 1 cut chuck, and turn your engine off while you're doing it. OK

ericw

Visit site

Really am fed up with this subject - I'm sure there are some yachties who behave like idiots as well as a few of our power driven colleagues !

Just one point re Oysters, I think Monsieur tcm may find that the finish is somewhat better than that found on a 60 grand production yacht and having spent a fair amount of time on an Oyster a couple of yrs ago, I can vouch that the showering/lavatory arrangements would put some land based ones to shame !!

As a confirmed yachtie/raggie, I still enjoy getting aboard a friend's Swordsman - it doesn't hurt once in a while !

Happy sailing/motorboating - whatever u wanna do - just try and appreciate other craft, particularly something as beautiful as an Oyster !

Regards,

Eric.

www.HarryHindsight.com

tcm

Visit site

Ah, but I was talking about the 60 foot oysters and although fit finish is indeed better than 60k prodyot, they still aren't THAT good. And, imho, I am afraid that making the loos such that they put "some" land based ones to shame isn't really good enough. It's for this reason that many swmbo's who don't fancy roughing it choose stinkies, or just stay at home, thanks.

IMHO the loos and galley in a 1.6 million quid boat need to as good as - or better than- a 1.6 million quid house or flat. In a stinkiboat, they are. In a sailing boat they aren't and really, there's no good practical reason why this is so.

Compare any production sailboat and stinkieboat costing between £800k and under £2million - big production boats. Stinkie wil have more lux lounge, higher spec galley, snazzier/smarter loos, comfier or bigger beds, without exception.

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re Natch

beacuse stinkies ,or lots of them, really want a floating house
and all that horsepower is available to drive it around

raggies make a nod to the main function which is that it is at heart a heely over yacht
comfort is not top of priorities.in fact i think in some cases a big raggie boat with a bedroomt hat looked like a bedroom and bathrom that..etc. may not sell as it would not be 'authentic' ,for want of a better word, enough

Ok brain let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

david_e

Re: David Attenborough

Aha, clever hijacking of seemingly pointless thread to further investigations into related wildlife; first it was swans' now it's oysters'. Think swan would eat an oyster, but tend to agree that swmbo might prefer fish to game. Am now trying to rack brain for other related wildlife species before trucking, en famile, to spend week-end on human physiological version; bent toe.

tcm

Visit site
ahoy britisher arkitekt!

Oh yes, of course. The true spirit of the yacht. I seem to remeber the exact same words being used about cars where the spirit was embodied in the seats being bone hard, or for british motorbikes where the they were quite slow, but lots of spirit.

I don't needem to make any compromise on the yacht doing what it does. the heeling over of a yacht doen't stop it having a nice vacuflush loo, or decent belting shower, or sprung mattressses. Mocking har har stinkies real want a floating house is a total copout - it's nothing to do with houses - given the option of comfy car or lorry, business class or economy, limo or bicycle i choose the former every time....but i 've just described the transport en route to join up with a yacht in the med...so i don't want to spend a hol on nanky-spec sailing yacht. Or rather, I'm fine about it, but others not bothered either way will choose the comfy option...

At big bucks for a crusing yacht, there'll be lots of people so it'll need dishwasher and a washing machine, and really decent ones, not manky or non-existent ones. Rattlling bang-crash powerboats have these. Think wifeys don't care aboutem? They do - noticeably more raggies sail sans wife than stinkies.

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: ahoy britisher arkitekt!

my thrust was that i think raggies want to be reminded that they are on a yacht and the privations/ compromises that are perceived to go with that and not a floating hotel room, that is not meant to mean how i view stinkies btw.

i accept much of what you are saying i think that the heads in small yachts are frankly not worth the bother but have to be there unless like our elen you wanna shit in a bucket on your trip across the atlantic.

i think some raggies do care more for the lines of their boat and the function than the interior
prime example
was steve101. wanted to basically spec the boat to a level that reflected what he was comfortbale with and what he got pleasure out of and some people just could not get their heads round it.

you may also have a point about stinkie and raggie wives
that however is because on many raggie boats they are crew and ballast while hubby helms and demands cups of tea in between tacks.somewomen are happy with this most are not.i also think lots of women get a bit scared when boat goes heely ( lou does) and sea gets choppy ( lou loses lunch). she has done both stink and rags still i believe prefers sailing but would want one with twin cats in to power home before storm hit,
alltho she would not slog around solent but is happy in med.

EME

www.lumishore.com
Experienced womaniser

'she has done both stink and rags still i believe prefers sailing but would want one with twin cats in to power home before storm hit,
alltho she would not slog around solent but is happy in med.'

So you'd betterget a nice stinky for her then . Cos in the Med sailing Nice-Cannes takes 2 weeks in Summer with Force 0 winds. And you will have to get taxi back to airport. She's also a nice lady so not into doing cuppas for the driver !

PLUS .. we know that you just need to go sailing so that you have excuse for alcohol-induced hueys !! Obvious closet stinky in disguise.

<font color=blue>I am WHAT I say I am</font color=blue>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: Experienced womaniser

my secret is out
i think it is the fuel bills more than anything that put me off
all that free wind ....mmm

my god
its worse
i am closet SCOTTISH stinkie