Before I break something....

Howardnp

Visit site
I have just acquired an old Birchwood... a TS33 Viceroy (circa 1985 vintage). Mechanically the boat is excellent but very "tired", one "tired" bit being the window seals.

Before starting what could end in a debacle I thought a post on here first! Fingers crossed!

I am looking to replace the sealing rubbers and felt lined tracks on the opening sections of the windows. However, I am struggling to see how they come apart.
I can't see any screws etc on the outside and can only see what look like large "grub" screws with Allen Key heads on the inside.

Has anyone any experience of taking these apart?

Medskipper

Visit site
I have just acquired an old Birchwood... a TS33 Viceroy (circa 1985 vintage). Mechanically the boat is excellent but very "tired", one "tired" bit being the window seals.

Before starting what could end in a debacle I thought a post on here first! Fingers crossed!

I am looking to replace the sealing rubbers and felt lined tracks on the opening sections of the windows. However, I am struggling to see how they come apart.
I can't see any screws etc on the outside and can only see what look like large "grub" screws with Allen Key heads on the inside.

Has anyone any experience of taking these apart?

Up until last year I owned a Birchwood 37. It had the same tracks as you mention, Someone managed to stick their anchor through the stern cabin window so I had to repair it. The tracks were worn and I searched high and low but alas I could not find new replacements so had to put the old ones back.
It was very difficult to slot the new windows back In place even with the old track.
I fear the only way is to replace the whole window frames and all!

oldgit

Visit site
Couple of things to be aware of when you remove windows .Do not attempt to dismantle frames if at all possible when fitting your new channeling.The screws/bolts used to hold the frame together will possibly have corroded and be difficult to remove without damage to entire unit
Your Birchwood windows may be made of some decent aluminium, the ones on my Princess 33 were made of cheapo rubbish and after 20 years just fell to bits on removal.

It is also possible to distort frames with rough handling,so making refitting difficult, make sure frames are correct shape before attempting to refit.
All the rubber sections are available on line from various companies
If the worst comes to the worst there are companies out there who can rebuilt your old frames or supply new replacement.
After you have gone through the trauma of sorting leaking windows ,you will have a valuable lesson burnt into your brain about the things you really need to check next time you buy an old boat.:)
Replacement window prices vary dramatically depending on location.A factory inland miles from the sea is much cheaper for some curious reason than one close to a boating honeypot .

Last edited: