Bayliner 285 - questions

Whitelighter

Visit site
Its got a pretty decent hull as well. 18 or 20 degree deadrise and a nice sharp entry at the front.

I as very happy with mine and only sold it to go bigger when I found a bargain boat that seemed too good to miss (but that really is another story :))

Sulley

Visit site
It's what you get from the expensive marinas here to look after our precious boats! I always feel nervous getting on boats when they are propped up like this.

I looked at the pictures again after seeing your comment and you're right it does look like firewood. Let's hope no one decides to light it...

jhull12

Visit site
Electrical 101

Hello - This is my first venture into a cruiser and I am hoping that someone can point me to the basics of the 285 Bayliner electrical systems.

My issue is that my batteries keep dying even when connected to shore power and I am not sure that I have everything set properly.

When the shore power is connected and turned on, I can see that the electrical panel reads AC volts, but nothing works. No radio, no lights, no bildge etc. The refrigerator and the micro do come on. I can only get the lights and blower, etc to work when I switch the batter to on or both. I am not sure that the shore power is charging the batteries.

Can anyone explain the basics of power? When underway have batteries on "combine batteries", when on shore power leave the switches on the pannel is x direction, etc.

Also I know that the battery to the starboard is conencted to the starter, but what about the other one?

I really would appreciate it.
Jeff

Sulley

Visit site
Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the world of boating and Bayliners!

Radio, lights and bilge all work on 12V so you need to turn your batteries on for these to work even if you are on shore power. The fridge will work on 240V if you flick the switch on the control panel and will work on 12V when you are off shore power. The microwave will ONLY work on shore power as it's 240V only.

You have 2 batteries and in the rear locker a dial for off, 1, 2 and both. Both batteries can be used for starting and domestic depending where the dial is set. When going along I put the dial to both and then when I stop i.e overnight without shore power I set it to either 1 or 2 and rotate this on a daily basis. It means I could flatten a battery and still have one good one to start in the morning. If you leave it on both you could flatten both batteries and you can't push start a boat! :)

You say your batteries keep dying have you switched on the battery charger? How old are the batteries or what voltage reading are you getting from them as they could need replacing.

Both my batteries are on the port side and I have a 3rd one on the starboard side for my bow thruster.

Hope this helps and please feel free to ask any other questions.

EugeneR

Visit site
Hi there,

You can download the owners manual supplement here - it should answer your questions. Select the year at the top and then the right model on the left.

As Sulley says, check your "battery charger" switch is "on" on the main power panel and that you have the battery switch in the aft locker set to 1, 2 or "both". Only the bilge pumps (separate fuses next to the battery switch), stereo memory (in-line fuse) and outdrive trim/tilt (in-line fuse) works from 12v without doing that.

Also worth remembering is that your batteries may not get charged from 240v properly if you are in the "both" setting. Although, assuming everything is "on" as it should be, Sulley's suggesting of checking the voltage at the battery (does it change when the 240v charger is on?) is a good starting point.

Sulley,

Not sure if you saw my thruster wiring question here? I take it your 3rd battery is aft and you have some thick wires going forward? If so, what route do they take i.e. port or starboard under the helm / behind the dinette etc? Some pics (of the wiring, where they go, where they come out etc) would be useful if you're lucky enough to get some time on the boat :)

Last edited:

jhull12

Visit site
285 Batteries

Sulley/Eugene - Thank you both for your responses. I will certainly go look at the manual. The response definitely helped me get a better understanding in my head.

The batteries are two years old and the boat was not used very much last summer as Seattle never really saw a summer last year. When I say that they keep dying I guess I mean that this is the third set. Even on the day of delivery they had to change out the batteries.

I am struggling to figure out if there is a way to tell if your batteries are not being charged when on shore power. In other words if the shore power battery switch is on and the electrical panel is registering shore power, and the battery charging switch is on, do you just have to assume that it is working? I am wondering if the shore power just isn't charging the batteries for some reason.

....excited about the summer that is coming.

Jeff
2008 Bayliner 285

jhull12

Visit site
285 Batteries

Eugene - Just re-read your note. When at shore power (and off the boat for the night) should the battery switch be in the "off" position?

Although I have two batteries my switch only has 3 positions, Off, On and Combine. I have certainly been on boats that allow you to do 1 or 2. Does this mean that one battery is for staring only?

Jeff

IRC Kevin

www.intrescue.org
Most battery chargers have a limited life with very few surviving past 5 years. You may even have one duff battery which won't hold charge. I've found that if they've been completely flattened (happened when battery charger failed) that they were fit for scrap only, even though they were only 18 months old. If you've been leaving the top switch on the control panel (labelled 'Battery Charger') on and the battery is still flat, then best bet is to get hold of a voltage tester and test both charger and batteries.

Sulley

Visit site
Eugene - Just re-read your note. When at shore power (and off the boat for the night) should the battery switch be in the "off" position?- Yes I leave mine on off so the batteries are not being drained.

Although I have two batteries my switch only has 3 positions, Off, On and Combine. I have certainly been on boats that allow you to do 1 or 2. Does this mean that one battery is for staring only? - No both batteries can be used for starting and/or domestic. I am assuming that on is one battery but not sure which and both is 1 and 2.

Jeff

Does this help?

rosssavage

Visit site
Sulley, I'm feeling rather neglected - you seem to have not only changed one career but become the expert in 285 electrical systems too ;)

Bit worried about Cookham bridge this weekend - I don't think I'm going to get under it!!! :(

landlockedpirate

Visit site
Eugene - Just re-read your note. When at shore power (and off the boat for the night) should the battery switch be in the "off" position?

Although I have two batteries my switch only has 3 positions, Off, On and Combine. I have certainly been on boats that allow you to do 1 or 2. Does this mean that one battery is for staring only?

Jeff

I have a Maxum which has a very similar system to yours. If you leave the switch on ' Both' it doesn't charge either battery ( No idea why !?) However if you switch it it '1' or '2' it charges both.

As said above , make sure both shore power and battery charger are on and leave the switch on '1' or '2' and see if it works.

EugeneR

Visit site

Jeff

Hi there,

The setup you describe is different from what I've seen on several 285's so far - all of which were between 2000 and 2005 so things could well have changed.

Without looking at the diagram for your boat, I assume one battery is being used for domestics and that, by putting it in "combine", you are connecting batteries in parallel to boost whichever side might have run flat.

If so, I wonder how the engine is connected and whether the engine will charge both batteries when it is running? You've made me curious now - I might go and get that manual now :)

The manuals that I have seen state that 240v will not properly charge the batteries when connected in parallel i.e. "both". I assume this is because the charger will sense a combined voltage and may not be able to charge one battery that is a lot more empty than the other.

I would leave it on "off" when you are away and "on" when you are onboard and need to use some things e.g. lights etc. The "combine" setting seems to be for emergencies e.g. your engine battery is flat and, as said before, in normal use is likely to risk draining everything when not charging.

Sulley

Visit site
Sulley, I'm feeling rather neglected - you seem to have not only changed one career but become the expert in 285 electrical systems too ;)

Bit worried about Cookham bridge this weekend - I don't think I'm going to get under it!!! :(

Don't worry you will always be my expert!

I really wanted to go and play boats this weekend as well :(