"Bayesian" s/y sinks in Palermo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Last edited by a moderator:

busker

Visit site
I wonder what happened. A yacht that size doesn't just sink and the stories about capsizing are dubious to me.
Only reason I can think of is that they hit something (they were anchored according to some sources) or the mast came down and that's not a projectile you want falling on the boat or attached to the boat in those conditions.

Norman_E

Visit site
BBC TV News this morning mentioned a yacht sunk off the north coast of Sicily and blamed a tornado, but no mention of that in the current online page.

flaming

Visit site
I wonder what happened. A yacht that size doesn't just sink and the stories about capsizing are dubious to me.
Only reason I can think of is that they hit something (they were anchored according to some sources) or the mast came down and that's not a projectile you want falling on the boat or attached to the boat in those conditions.
In the link the OP gave it's basically describing it being hit by a waterspout.

jcwads

Visit site
This is awful. My heart goes out to the loved ones and families of those missing. The weather has been so spontaneous in the med this season. A terrible tragedy

ylop

Visit site
They appear to have been anchored (?) close to the tall ship "Sir Robert Baden Powell" from AIS. My question mark is because the last AIS report is actually showing her underway at 2.3 knots.

flaming

Visit site
But that's a big boat to "just sink" when it's hit by a waterspout. I'd expect extensive damage but something else needs to happen for her to sink if that yacht is seaworthy.
Blow out some of those big windows and knock her flat. That would sink her I'd have thought.

nicho

Visit site

This storm flipped a large catamaran over the pontoon, but watch the super yacht on the top right .... it gets laid flat. I can quite believe if, similar to the motor yacht that sank recently, some of the access doors were open, it could take on considerable amounts of water.
Jeez that is incredible, knocked down with bare poles by wind alone?

E39mad

Visit site
Aluminium hull and superstructure - not so easy to puncture as GRP? Mystery, even if knocked down by large waves, surely it should not sink. Dreadful😨

Suppose it depends how long it was knocked down for - it will fill up pretty quickly if down for say 30 seconds a minute. Dreadful situation

capnsensible

Visit site
Tragic. The power of nature.....

From the links, as one would expect, a local investigation has started. As the yacht was Brit flagged and has Brits onboard, both criteria for a Marine Accident Investigation Branch enquiry have been met. Either either, or in this case, both. They are super professional and highly regarded. The report will take time but when it is released, the normally publish causes and preventative action to help other vessels.

They do not prosecute. If there is a case of negligence then the MCA enforcement Unit takes responsibility for prosecutions.

This will take time......

It maybe, however, I the interim, survivor statements may be released by the press.

Metabarca

Visit site
Latest from Repubblica: "First the boat heeled to one side and in a few minutes she sank; it all happened in a very short time," says the skipper. So it sounds as though she was pushed on her beam ends, the windows and companionway were open (hot, apparently calm night), and woosh. On shore, a bathing hut was hurled several hundred metres by the same waterspout...

SC35

Visit site
"Dr Domenico Cipolla, head of emergency room at the Giovanni di Cristina paediatric hospital in Palermo, has described the experience of Charlotte, the British mother who was onboard the Bayesian when it sank.
DrCipolla said:“She told me that while they were sleeping, at a certain point the yacht overturned due to the tornado, and they found themselves in the water.
“Some of them immediately managed to get onto the lifeboat. And some, evidently, didn’t make it."

Bayesian yacht sinking live: British tech entrepreneur Mike Lynch missing in superyacht sinking

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.