"Bayesian" s/y sinks in Palermo

Status
Not open for further replies.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
But that's a big boat to "just sink" when it's hit by a waterspout. I'd expect extensive damage but something else needs to happen for her to sink if that yacht is seaworthy.

According the the BBC's sailing expert reporter:

Witnesses told Italian news agency Ansa that the Bayesian’s anchor was down when the storm struck, causing the mast to break and the ship to lose its balance and sink.

So there you go. It obviously fell over.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Has anyone noted how the yacht's name came about? Reminds me of seeing, years ago, a damaged yacht in Fethiye marina named "Strange Attractor". IIRC I discovered at the time that, as I suspected, it belonged to a mathematician. Similarly Bayesian is s category of logic...

Cheery

Visit site
Latest from Repubblica: "First the boat heeled to one side and in a few minutes she sank; it all happened in a very short time," says the skipper. So it sounds as though she was pushed on her beam ends, the windows and companionway were open (hot, apparently calm night), and woosh. On shore, a bathing hut was hurled several hundred metres by the same waterspout...
Weather for the time here.

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
9.7m draft! Anyone know if the keel lifts/swings/retracts at all to reduce the draft? Can't find anything on t'interweb other than stunning pics of the interior. I just wondered if the draft had been reduced for getting into Palermo and they were laid flat in a tornado as a result.

KevinV

Visit site
9.7m draft! Anyone know if the keel lifts/swings/retracts at all to reduce the draft? Can't find anything on t'interweb other than stunning pics of the interior. I just wondered if the draft had been reduced for getting into Palermo and they were laid flat in a tornado as a result.
The reports are that the boat sank in 50m of water?

flaming

Visit site
My understanding based on other forums is that it had a lift keel. Whether or not it was raised is of course another matter.

It is a plausible explanation though. Keel up, possibly as they had either been in the nearby port or planned to do so, and at anchor on a seemingly calm night. On the face of it a perfectly reasonable decision. Waterspout / Tornado knocks the boat down to 90, AVS with keel raised is not great, bit of downflooding through open hatches / doors and that's all she wrote.

Beneteau381

Visit site
Has anyone noted how the yacht's name came about? Reminds me of seeing, years ago, a damaged yacht in Fethiye marina named "Strange Attractor". IIRC I discovered at the time that, as I suspected, it belonged to a mathematician. Similarly Bayesian is s category of logic...
The owner made his money from that so I guess that’s why he called it that.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
The BBC TV report mentioned that the yacht is recorded as belonging to Mike Lynch's wife and that he was a PhD student, so that links to my supposition regarding the yacht's name.

KevinT1

Visit site
The owner made his money from that so I guess that’s why he called it that.
I read this explanation :

The term Bayesian explained​

The term Bayesian refers to a branch of statistics pioneered by Thomas Bayes, an 18th century mathematician and vicar.
Much of modern artificial intelligence and computer analysis is underpinned by Bayesian inference, which involves updating the probabilities of various scenarios based on ongoing evidence.
The statistical model was crucial to Autonomy’s technology, which searched through large amounts of corporate data to find information.
In 2021, Mike Lynch said that: “Bayes deserves far more historical credit for the place he occupies among the forefathers of information theory”
Mr Lynch has often used playful naming conventions. Conference rooms at Autonomy were named after James Bond villains, another interest of his, while his dogs have named after engineering terms such as Valve, Tappet and Switch.

E39mad

Visit site
So the mast snapped in the tornado and this is currently assumed to have caused the sinking - how I am not sure whether it holed the boat or whether the weight of it made it list too far over. The investigation will know doubt provide the full information.

Very sad that the owner's 18 year old daughter is one of the six missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.