Bay of Biscay or Canal de Deux Mers??

t-rose

Visit site
We did the Canal du Midi in 11 or 12 days and thought we had taken it easy. We certainly had whole days off in Carcassonne and another place and mostly dawdled along.

Ah, that's useful! I've been researching how quick we could do the canal du midi if we decide to take that route (looking unlikely at this stage, but definitely on the to - do list for when we return). Obviously we wouldn't want to rush, but good to know a timeframe of less than 2 week is possible. .

t-rose

Visit site
Personally I think that it would be worth spending a couple of weeks in S. Brittany going maybe as far as La Rochelle and using that as your jumping off spot. It would give a flavour of what is to be seen to be appreciated in more detail in the future.

That would be a great idea, except that we need to do a 500 mile qualifying passage (not 100 mile, as has been previously mentioned on this thread), and we'd like to do that early in the season so we have it "out the way". We've also spent the last two summers cruising Brittany and the Atlantic french coast down to la Rochelle. Beautiful part of the world! We'll definitely do it again, but not this year.

At this stage, we're thinking that the best plan would be a Falmouth (or thereabouts) to Baiona offshore passage, and then make an assessment from there. I think a leisurely cruise down the Atlantic Spanish and Portuguese coats sounds promising, but we shall see what the skipper decides!

The ARC is already committed, but I very much hope that come spring we'll still be happily island hopping in the Caribbean! Then, after a year or two, it will be the Panama canal and into the Pacific ocean. .. but I'm getting ahead of myself :)

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
We did the Canal du Midi in 11 or 12 days and thought we had taken it easy. We certainly had whole days off in Carcassonne and another place and mostly dawdled along.

Yes, I took about 13 days on the Midi, I was thinking more Paris, Lyon Rhone. So much to see and it puts you a bit further East to get to the other places mentioned.

Ariadne

The Mrs kids and boat are in Grenada. Me? I'm in S
blog.mailasail.com
Quite simple really, if your doing the ARC then you need some long distance passages to get used to it, see if you like and how you cope with it; therefore Biscay is your only realistic option. The canals may be nice, but they aint going to prep you for the Atlantic, and you need to get some sea time under your belts.

Couple of options, coast hopping around France and across N Spain, many do and enjoy it.

We went to S Ireland and left for La Coruna from Crosshaven, exactly 5 days, almost to the hour and all sorts of weather on the way down; it was well worth the trip and my kids 7 & 9 (now teenagers and about to leave home) still talk about crossing Biscay, La Coruna is a nicer place for celebrating your 1st Biscay crossing! Do explore Laige and the Spanish Rias (you'll miss these if you head directly to Baiona), I've not met anybody who said they didn't enjoy exploring the Rias or spent too long there, so don't miss 'em - we, like many didn't spend enough time there!

Then you can relax a bit heading down the relatively boring Portuguese Atlantic coast to the Algarve, take in a bit of Atlantic Morrocco on the way down to Las Palmas and take some time to explore the Canaries and don't get too wrapped up in the ARC mentality.

Last edited:

Monique

Visit site
Hello T-Rose,

We will begin our circumnavigation on 1 July... the day after I retire... from Turkey and lollygagg around for 1-1/2 months then slowly east to cross the ATL in late Nov or later. We will navigate as per Sybarite's suggestion... from SE Asia ... well SE Madagascar into South Africa. It will add months but we are not in a hurry.

My GF says we'll do it in 5 years, I say 7-10... time is a commodity few people have. Make the best of it!!!

t-rose

Visit site
Hello T-Rose,

We will begin our circumnavigation on 1 July... the day after I retire... from Turkey and lollygagg around for 1-1/2 months then slowly east to cross the ATL in late Nov or later. We will navigate as per Sybarite's suggestion... from SE Asia ... well SE Madagascar into South Africa. It will add months but we are not in a hurry.

My GF says we'll do it in 5 years, I say 7-10... time is a commodity few people have. Make the best of it!!!

Fab!! Have fun! We're also happy to take things slowly if we decide to... trying not to put a timeframe on it, but family and friends constantly asking how long we'll be gone for, so 5 years seemed a reasonable answer....

t-rose

Visit site
Quite simple really, if your doing the ARC then you need some long distance passages to get used to it, see if you like and how you cope with it; therefore Biscay is your only realistic option. The canals may be nice, but they aint going to prep you for the Atlantic, and you need to get some sea time under your belts.

Couple of options, coast hopping around France and across N Spain, many do and enjoy it.

We went to S Ireland and left for La Coruna from Crosshaven, exactly 5 days, almost to the hour and all sorts of weather on the way down; it was well worth the trip and my kidsdon't get too wrapped up in the ARC mentality.

ARC mentality?! I'm very interested to do the ARC because I've heard a lot of negative things, but it looks like a fun and supportive environment. Looking forward to seeing what the reality is and whether it will suit us....

Rias are looking more and more likely, there seems to be so many positive comments about them...

Yes to crossing Biscay, looking more likely by the minute!

rivonia

Visit site
ARC mentality?! I'm very interested to do the ARC because I've heard a lot of negative things, but it looks like a fun and supportive environment. Looking forward to seeing what the reality is and whether it will suit us....

Rias are looking more and more likely, there seems to be so many positive comments about them...

Yes to crossing Biscay, looking more likely by the minute!

Do what we did and like others to get the sea miles as well as open water experience. Head for southern Ireland and then cross Biscay from there. Enjoy

Allergy

Live in East London, UK. Boat in Portsmouth Harbou
Visit site
Hello All!

This is my first time posting to this forum, so please be gentle with me :)

My boyfriend and I are planning to set off from Kent in the UK end of April/beginning of May to embark on what we hope will eventually be a complete circumnavigation (eek!). We've been planning it for years and are pretty excited and nervous to say the least.

However, we're already stumped. For years we've dreamed of sailing around the Med for a bit before crossing the Atlantic, but now the time has come and we're still not sure exactly what route to take to get down to the Med. I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times, but please forgive me for asking again- I did look through the forums for information, but couldn't quite find what I was looking for. Please feel free to direct me to any relevant threads from the past.

We own a Southerly 38, which has a lifting keel, and so the French canals are a viable option for us. However, we also want to get some more offshore experience before our Atlantic crossing (which will be this November- we've signed up to the ARC), and so we thought crossing Biscay would be a good way of doing this, plus will get us south quickly. We already have friends, who are experienced sailors, lined up to crew for us, if we take this option.

But what to do?! Our priority is to get to the Med and enjoy sailing in SUNSHINE before passing through the Straight of Gibraltar around beginning of Sept. But I'm feeling pretty nervous about how little time we have to see the areas we're interested in: namely, French Med (maaaybe Corsica) and Belearics. Med coast of Spain holds very little interest for us- but if we enter the Med through Gib in June (we're thinking, given we'll depart Kent in May and gun it down there as quickly as possible), then that's the region that makes most sense to explore, navigationally and geographically speaking.

Dilemma! Am open to any tips or comments! Either option we choose will have advantages and disadvantages, and would be grateful for any thoughts. Hopefully I've been clear, but please ask any questions if you need clarification.

Thankyou!

Look at Rally Portugal for 2015 (www.worldcruising.com) as you will be sailing across Biscay in a well organise rally to Bayonna (in Spain), ending up in Lagos in Portugal.
I did it in 2000 & had a great time and it was well organised
From Lagos, you can head for the Canaries and the ARC.
Hope this helps

GrahamM376

Visit site
Look at Rally Portugal for 2015 (www.worldcruising.com) as you will be sailing across Biscay in a well organise rally to Bayonna (in Spain), ending up in Lagos in Portugal.
I did it in 2000 & had a great time and it was well organised
From Lagos, you can head for the Canaries and the ARC.
Hope this helps

Don't doubt many enjoy it but, it's the quickest way to miss lots of interesting places.

t-rose

Visit site
Sounds great, but I think we're happy to do our own thing this summer- we're doing the ARC for the Atlantic crossing because we're feeling apprehensive about crossing an ocean without that extra support. But I think I'd prefer to sail independently in any other situation. But thankyou for the suggestion!

AndrewB

Visit site
Sounds great, but I think we're happy to do our own thing this summer- we're doing the ARC for the Atlantic crossing because we're feeling apprehensive about crossing an ocean without that extra support. But I think I'd prefer to sail independently in any other situation. But thankyou for the suggestion!
Once you've managed the passages to the Canaries, I don't think you'll be all that bothered by the "extra support" offered by the ARC. It is one of the easiest ocean passages, and there are plenty of yachts crossing both in the ARC and out of it who could help in an emergency. I haven't done the ARC myself, but have to admit that the social life at either end looks fun.

Don't though fall in the trap of thinking you HAVE to leave with the ARC if you are have any doubts about being fully seaworthy and ready. The organisers don't always get it right. In 2005 a lot of yachts suffered who started on the right date and ran into a very unusual tropical storm. The wise ones waited a few days for a good forecast.

Last edited:

rivonia

Visit site
Once you've managed the passages to the Canaries, I don't think you'll be all that bothered by the "extra support" offered by the ARC. It is one of the easiest ocean passages, and there are plenty of yachts crossing both in the ARC and out of it who could help in an emergency. I haven't done the ARC myself, but have to admit that the social life at either end looks fun.

Don't though fall in the trap of thinking you HAVE to leave with the ARC if you are have any doubts about being fully seaworthy and ready. The organisers don't always get it right. In 2005 a lot of yachts suffered who started on the right date and ran into a very unusual tropical storm. The wise ones waited a few days for a good forecast.

Excellent advice.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
>It is one of the easiest ocean passages

Not always. We were on the ARC finish line one year when the boats had gale force winds gusting 50 knots. Boats arrived with broken booms, booms torn off, broken rigging, broken rudders and broken carbon spinnaker poles. Add to that torn sails and spinnakers. One yacht we know arrived with a staysail only the main, genoa and spinnaker were torn beyond repair. When we crossed we carried a spare set of sails, halyards and sheets.

PhilipH

www.sailblogs.com

What is your draught and what your air draught with the mast down - Canal di Midi looks a bit tight with the mast on deck?

PhilipH

www.sailblogs.com
That would be a great idea, except that we need to do a 500 mile qualifying passage (not 100 mile, as has been previously mentioned on this thread), and we'd like to do that early in the season so we have it "out the way". We've also spent the last two summers cruising Brittany and the Atlantic french coast down to la Rochelle. Beautiful part of the world! We'll definitely do it again, but not this year.

At this stage, we're thinking that the best plan would be a Falmouth (or thereabouts) to Baiona offshore passage, and then make an assessment from there. I think a leisurely cruise down the Atlantic Spanish and Portuguese coats sounds promising, but we shall see what the skipper decides!

The ARC is already committed, but I very much hope that come spring we'll still be happily island hopping in the Caribbean! Then, after a year or two, it will be the Panama canal and into the Pacific ocean. .. but I'm getting ahead of myself :)

You will have a wonderful time no matter where you go. Although a bit ahead of you it is relevant given your potential interest in canals. After a couple or so of seasons in the Lesser Antilles we struck north to Bermuda and then direct to New York, taking a mooring or using the marina at 79th Street Boat Basin. Sailing into New York Harbour with the Statue of Liberty etc is a bit magical. After that we went up the Hudson river, dropped the mast at Hop O' Nose and then through the Erie Canal and Oswego Canal to lake Ontario. You can re-step the mast at Oswego. Then across to Kingston, through the Thousand Islands and down the St Lawrence via Montreal and Quebec, visiting Sauguenay Fjord with the Beluga whales and a whole variety of other wildlife. Then on to Gaspe and Prince Edward Island. There is a real treat going into the Bras d'Or lakes (you could spend a season there) and then down the coasts of Nova Scotia and New England, and back to NYC. After that we went to Delaware Bay and into Chesapeake, followed by 200nm of the Intra-Coastal Waterway (including the Dismal Swamp route - brilliant in autumn) before going coastal to Charleston, Savannah and the Florida coast. It was superb. Quite a lot of motoring but fascinatingly historic places to visit ... and you get to speak a lot of French in Quebec Province.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
What is your draught and what your air draught with the mast down - Canal di Midi looks a bit tight with the mast on deck?

We draw 1.4 metres. Touched bottom a few times, particularly on the downhill section towards the Med and had the usual problem getting close enough to the bank. Air draught was never a problem, even under the lowest bridge of all at Narbonne, 3.0 metres. We took the row of antennas (on the port side of the aft support) off the top of the radar scanner only to do that particular section, which in the event seemed to be unnecessary.
IMG_2056-1.jpg