Battery Pack

mainsale0

Visit site
I have found a replacement battery for my Icom hand held radio but the chemistry is NIMH. Can anyone explain how this differs from NiCd and whether the NIMH is likely to be a suitable replacement? Many thanks.

Evadne

Visit site
For this purpose they are interchangeable. The main difference is price and (usually) a slightly higher capacity. They will charge at the same current, and have the same cell voltage.

StephenW

Visit site
The post by sonarbell is correct but incomplete information.

NiMh doesn't have a memory effect but long-ish term storage results in a slow self-diccharge.

Ni Cad's suffer much less from this.

If I were to have a handheld VHF radio as a backup which was stored for say a month maybe before use I'd definitely go for Ni Cads, if recharged say weekly NiMh will be fine.

You pays your money and you takes your choice!

The only really good (and expensive ) option is Lithium Ion (as in mobile phones) and they are inherently expensive.

cliff

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have found a replacement battery for my Icom hand held radio........

[/ QUOTE ]And where pray tell did you find a supplier? Might be of interest to others with Icom HH radios /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
--------------------
hammer.thumb.gif
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
sailroom <span style="color:red">The place to auction your previously loved boatie bits</span>

mainsale0

Visit site
I was looking for battery pack BP-160. There are 3 for sale on EBay, just search "Icom BP-160" and I have found a further supply at absolutebattery.co.uk.

cliff

Visit site
Thanks for the info - most useful.
--------------------
hammer.thumb.gif
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
sailroom <span style="color:red">The place to auction your previously loved boatie bits</span>

charles_reed

Visit site
NiMH vs NiCad

Partly true - NiMH usually have x2-4 the capacity of equivalent sized NiCad, but after about 250 cycles they are likely to be knackered. They also have an hystersis effect, though not as marked as NiCad, and lose about 2% of charge per week compared to about half that with lead/acid and NiCad.

Most effective of all Li ion, though they used to, and still can, overheat, with dramatic results, in use.

Personally I'd use NiCad with reluctance, only if nothing else was available.