battens wearing holes in new sail !!

NormanS

Visit site
Sounds like the same system my sailmaker use, the Velcro goes inside the batten pocket and locks on to the Velcro inside the pocket. Have a tool that came with the sail, it’s a short piece of batten with a hole for a pull cord in one end.
To lock the batten in place you simply put the tool into the small pocket sewn to the end of the strap, push into the pocket until the tension is ok making sure the extraction line is not getting in the way of the Velcro.
removing is easy break the bond between the Velcro parts with the tool and pull the extraction line,
https://youtu.be/jrZexayGVjE
https://www.northsails.com/sailing/en/2018/06/velcro-stuff-batten-pocket-installation-guide

I didn't realise that there was a special tool. I just use a screwdriver. :D

Seajet

Visit site
And this Old Harry could do with a different name on here so as not to confuse with the original Chichester based and much politer Old Harry with the animated callsign, who almost certainly has a lot more knowledge to impart but would never post things like that.

wilkinsonsails

Visit site
Looking at that batten pocket construction,you should have a short u of elastic which is supposed to push the battens back to the leech .It also serves to stop the batten moving too much in the pocket and wearing the fabric.
I suspect that the batten end has also chafed through this retainer.
It could also have bypassed the elastic .You will need to get this repaired otherwise it will happen again ,even with a plastic end cap fitted .
These end caps are inexpensive, ,30p to 50p each , we often retrieve them from lumpy ended batten pockets, as they come adrift ,if not properly glued on when the batten is withdrawn from the pocket .

wilkinsonsails

Visit site
One clue to the internal elastic , is the type of batten entry , it’s usually a funnel mouth type .
The batten is pushed in against the elastic and drops down inside of stitching on the leech tabling .
Mainly used for dinghy sails these days .

pcatterall

Visit site
One clue to the internal elastic , is the type of batten entry , it’s usually a funnel mouth type .
The batten is pushed in against the elastic and drops down inside of stitching on the leech tabling .
Mainly used for dinghy sails these days .
Thanks for the technical explanation. I have never come across this wear with any other sail nor was I aware that 'batten fixing' was something I should look for in the sail spec. ( live and learn?)
The batten opening is not the funnel mouth type. There was no 'feel' of any elastic as the battens were pushed in, they just seemed to come to a hard stop and were a very tight fit.
I will approach the sail maker and ask him what should be done!
Thanks again for this and all the other positive suggestions.