Barge skippers

Daydream believer

Visit site
I do not know who let them out, but this weekend someone released barges from Maldon to have a "race",
One such barge- who shall remain nameless, but we at SSC know who- decided to wipe out the limit mark at our start line & deposit it, complete with its 1 ton sinker in the fairway in the river. It was not as if it could not be seen. We have had a race mark there since the year dot. I placed the current one 3 years ago. It stands about 4 ft 6 ins high & is is blue.
Then to demonstrate that they do not look where they are going - or if they do , that they do not care a jot. Another barge returning decided to run in to it & drag it a bit the other way.
Do they know how to sail a barge. It cannot be that hard if a dog & a boy can do it.
We now have the problem of collecting & re laying. I cannot do it myself due to my hip injury, so our HM has to find someone to help him & spend a day with an airbag & see if he can have any luck lifting the sinker & tackle & get into place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Puffin10032

Visit site
Not really. More like "annoyed".:rolleyes:
But the gaffers are coming to our club for a weekend meet in a couple of weeks time ( normally a good event) & i am supplying my launch as a ferry. So I shall get my own back by bending their ear about dodgy skippers as I help them come ashore.
If by Gaffers you mean the O.G.A., they don't really have much to do with the barges.

Daydream believer

Visit site
If by Gaffers you mean the O.G.A., they don't really have much to do with the barges.
Actually they are quite good social crowd so I should not really include them in the same post. They are good fun when they come to our club. We look forward to it. I have sat on the tractor up to midnight moving our pontoon in line with the tide so they can walk aboard the RIB or ferry. At midnight they can be quite- shall we say "Jolly" :D :giggle:

Last edited:

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
Makes one wonder what would have happened if it had been a couple of lads fishing in a small dinghy. Which often happens
Have you ever raced? Have you ever hit a mark?

Rather than the overly-dramatic moaning on here, why not contact the race committee? I'm sure they'll happily make arrangements for the SSC mark.

Plum

Visit site
I do not know who let them out, but this weekend someone released barges from Maldon to have a "race",
One such barge- who shall remain nameless, but we at SSC know who- decided to wipe out the limit mark at our start line & deposit it, complete with its 1 ton sinker in the fairway in the river. It was not as if it could not be seen. We have had a race mark there since the year dot. I placed the current one 3 years ago. It stands about 4 ft 6 ins high & is is blue.
Then to demonstrate that they do not look where they are going - or if they do , that they do not care a jot. Another barge returning decided to run in to it & drag it a bit the other way.
Do these idiots have no idea how to sail a barge. It cannot be that hard if a dog & a boy can do it. Or do they think that they know better than everyone else.
We now have the problem of collecting & re laying. I cannot do it myself due to my hip injury, so our HM has to find someone to help him & spend a day with an airbag & see if he can have any luck lifting the sinker & tackle & get into place. A few years ago one smashed the bow roller of one of our moored yachts & did not even offer an apology, sailing off as if nothing had happened.
Thanks Maldon barges
As others have said, recommend you contact the race committee/barge skipper who will have insurance to cover your costs.

Plum

Visit site
That would be a management decision.
But I would not dream of charging for my launch, just because someone made a silly mistake. If it can move it back into position, so beit.
Depends what luck we have. If not, then the club may incur charges.
I just want to have a moan first.
Ok good. Having a moan here is better than moaning to the barge skipper ☺️

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
Ok good. Having a moan here is better than moaning to the barge skipper ☺️
I disagree Plum. The skipper and/or race committee will be aware of the minor incident already but SSC should certainly make polite contact.

It's now described as a "silly mistake" but started off by bleating that barges are sailed by "brain dead""idiots". As someone who worked on them professionally for several years in the 80/90s, I can assure Daydream Believer that most of the people on them are damned good at what they do. Occasional cock-ups? Yes of course, I made a few myself, but clouting a mark is hardly reason for the silly tirade.

If someone had approached me saying I'd hit and moved their mark, I'd apologise and sort it out. If they came up to me and called me a brain dead idiot the reaction would have been rather less friendly.