Backstay tensioner

Independence

Visit site
Does anyone recognise the make of this backstay tensioner, I thought it was an old Wichard but it isn't

I'm trying to remove the wheel to get it recoated and need to learn how to dismantle itWichard backstay tensioner.JPG

Thanks

captainboo

Visit site
I have exactly the same and had to unfortunately destroy the wheel (as it was siezed to the cap and wouldn't turn) to get it apart to make it work! Hopefully yours will come apart easier.

The wheel is secured to the central bronze hub by grub screws (siezed on mine) which if removed separates it from the central bronze hub. There should be a pin through the fitting on the left hand side of your picture (see my picture below) which when removed will allow the fitting to be unscrewed from the rod. The wheel will now pass over the threaded rod and can be removed.

Under the wheel the 'cap' is secured to the body by another grub screw and once removed the cap will unscrew from the body allowing the bronze hub to be removed by unscrewing it from the rod.

Finally the pin holding the toggle to the body at the right hand end has to be removed which will allow the rod to be removed from the right hand bottom end of the body as it has two bronze rollers attached to the lower end of it which will only fit out of the bottom end.

I had to make a new wheel hub from a lump of stainless to which I attached a new folding handle to allow me to tighten the backstay.

Attachments

• IMG_20121015_102935.jpg
    IMG_20121015_102935.jpg
    776.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20121015_102923.jpg
    IMG_20121015_102923.jpg
    841.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: