Autohelm 4000 drive

C08

Visit site
My SPX autohelm setup uses the 4000 drive unit, the Grey Drive) . This is now decidely "sticky" and the opposite of the common problem of slipping. When I take it apart to have a look the drum the belt runs around is smooth and polished. The belt is quite new (2 years old ) and has had little use and the side that slips around the drum when the clutch is disengaged is smooth and clean. Even with the eccentric cam adjuster turned to the max off position the belt drags. If I ignore the max off stop and turn it further off there is complete disengagement. When the clutch is shifted to drive there is no slip at this extra off adjustment. I am inclined to grind off the little nub that acts as a stop and give myself more off adjustment. Does this ring any bells as I am sure that others have been in this position?

C08

Visit site
I'd remove the actual motor first and see how smooth that was before altering anything else.
Thank the motor is fine when turning with the belt removed. Also when the adjustment stop is overidden there is no drag. A look at the Sailnet forum suggest that the belts shrink with age which may explain why more adjustment seems to help.