Attacked by an Orca near A Coruna

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Perfect timing.... I'm bringing a boat back from Cartagena soon.

I wonder whether the whales have learned to associate boats with falling numbers of tuna? If they're as emotionally intelligent as we think then, daft as it might sound, they might be cross with us.

No.
They are dumb as ditch water. Everything is either pray or predator. They interact to find out. If they think it's pray they will attack either for food or fun If they think its a threat they will run. Those claiming switching everything off and playing dead is the correct way to act if attacked are encouraging more attacks.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
No.
They are dumb as ditch water. Everything is either pray or predator. They interact to find out. If they think it's pray they will attack either for food or fun If they think its a threat they will run. Those claiming switching everything off and playing dead is the correct way to act if attacked are encouraging more attacks.

I believe that is the official advice.

Bashing them with a spinnaker pole and shouting at them seems to have got rid of them in this instance, but not before they had damaged the rudder.

What would you do?

I ask as I am heading that way.

- W

Last edited:

Frogmogman

Visit site
Bashing them with a spinnaker pole and shouting at them seems to have got rid of them in this instance, but not before they had damaged the rudder.

I got the impression that those tactics failed to have much effect. It seemed to be the flares that persuaded them to go elsewhere.

Visit site
No.

Visit site
I can not agree. There is a great deal of evidence (going back centuries )to show that dolphins are not "dumb" either fguratively or literally. They do not see everything as prey or predator and as regards to attacks by orcas one should not make judgements on little more than a handful of cases.

cherod

Visit site
If anyone does , as is the current trend , fall for the sensationalisim of an Orca attack and feel that some preventative measures are required then try dragging a few 20ft lengths of chain off the back of the boat , that should keep the crazed beasts away from that delicate rudder

chrishscorp

Visit site
If anyone does , as is the current trend , fall for the sensationalisim of an Orca attack and feel that some preventative measures are required then try dragging a few 20ft lengths of chain off the back of the boat , that should keep the crazed beasts away from that delicate rudder

I have watched a video of a whale 'chomping' on an anchor chain and dragging a yacht around an anchorage in a bay for fun, not sure your idea is a great one though i suppose its slightly better than having your rudder eaten.

Dave100456

Visit site
( ref post 449 which I thought I’d included but can’t see it in my reply.)
For the record; Since I was the owner and skipper at the time; from the horses mouth..... 450M out from Azores, 600M off Portugal I recon we ran over a sleeping (sperm?) whale as the bow rose up as if running ashore. A instant later we were side swiped such that it threw me across the saloon like a car crash. I climbed the companionway to see a 3 metre+ tail fluke above and against the stbd quarter guard wire. Can’t really blame the whale and guess I’d have been pretty aggressive if someone ran over me whilst sleeping! Keel fixings all perfectly intact but the hull structure was compromised and we gradually lost structural integrity over the next 15 hrs. Cutting a long story short we abandoned 15 hrs later.

Last edited:

Visit site
For the record; Since I was the owner and skipper at the time; from the horses mouth..... 450M out from Azores, 600M off Portugal I recon we ran over a sleeping (sperm?) whale as the bow rose up as if running ashore. A instant later we were side swiped such that it threw me across the saloon like a car crash. I climbed the companionway to see a 3 metre+ tail fluke above and against the stbd quarter guard wire. Can’t really blame the whale and guess I’d have been pretty aggressive if someone ran over me whilst sleeping! Keel fixings all perfectly intact but the hull structure was compromised and we gradually lost structural integrity over the next 15 hrs. Cutting a long story short we abandoned 15 hrs later.
Thanks, that makes sense whereas an orca just did not fit.
I hope that a million to one chance hasn't put you off sailing.

matt1

Visit site

That's great to know (well, not the ouctcome obviously, but the circumstances) It's good to know it was an "accident" rather than perhaps a deliberate act by the whale. I was wondering if this behaviour actually started some time ago, seems not and hopefully more of a recent thing. Good that the boat gave you 15 hours to get your stuff together!